What's new

Proper Angle

Question: How can I be sure that I am at the correct angle with my razor? By the way it sounds? I want to be sure that I'm cutting and not scraping my face off.

I'm using a Gillette adjustable.

Thanks!

From my long post:

Using a safety razor puts you in charge, and going from a multi-blade cartridge to a safety razor is akin to going from an automatic transmission to a manual: you can get better performance by being more in control, but you must learn how to use it and practice your technique and pay attention to what’s going on.

With the safety razor, for example, it’s important not to use pressure to try to get a closer shave: pressure should be light, the razor and the blade doing the work—exerting additional pressure will cause problems (cuts, razor burn, etc.). To ensure light pressure, one shaver has found that holding the very tip of the razor handle with a two- or three-finger grip works well.

Other than pressure, the key variable in using the safety razor is blade angle. Try this: put the head of the razor against your cheek, the handle perpendicular to the face. Gradually bring the handle down toward the face as you make a shaving stroke. At around 30º from the perpendicular, the blade will make contact with the whiskers and begin to cut. That’s the angle (more or less). The idea is that the edge of the blade is cutting through the whiskers, not scraping over them. If the room is quiet, you can hear the sound of the razor cutting through the whiskers.

These instructions for using a safety razor are also helpful.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you are having a problem with finding the correct angle you really should try a Schick Injector or a GEM Micromatic. As long as you keep the head flat on your face the correct angle is built in, there is no need to worry about finding the optimum angle as it's already there. Take a few weeks to learn using either of the above razor's and you will develop the necessary touch and confidence without having to worry about angle; after that you will be more than adequately prepared for a DE.

Top Bottom