What's new

Propane weed torch, good idea or fire hazard?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hello all in the great outdoors, I’ve already went ahead and bought a propane weed torch. On paper (web) it looked fantastic and beyond my wildest dreams of finally eradicating weeds in between paver stones. However against my better judgment (lol) I read the product instructions and warnings and now have a few concerns. The thought that crossed my mind after that was, “am I crazy” So I’m wondering if others have ventured back to fire as a gardening technique! If so I’d appreciate a discussion, thoughts and opinions very welcome. Thanks in advance ( of possibility starting an uncontrolled fire)

It works well for what you want. The heat can destroy the weed's seeds, which will delay them coming back. There are no nasty chemicals, so that is a plus. Makes the job easier. Just keep the flame confined within the paved surfaces, and keep a bucket of water or water hose handy. You don't want a lingering fire under garden mulch or dead leaves, for instance.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It works well for what you want. The heat can destroy the weed's seeds, which will delay them coming back. There are no nasty chemicals, so that is a plus. Just keep the flame confined within the paved surfaces, and keep a bucket of water or water hose handy. You don't want a lingering fire under garden mulch or dead leaves, for instance.
Water /hose and I guess fire watch
Great ideas. Thanks.
Yes the use of the chemicals was a motivating factor. The chemicals are probably more terrible than I think and it doesn’t seem to work well anyway.

We have one and rarely use it. Glyphosate does a better job. I keep a sprayer mixed up during the growing season and spray the weeds as needed.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You can spray down the pavement after you are done just to be on the safe side. Gets rid of the ashes and debris, too.
Another good idea. I bought propane today. Pretty cheap but wonder how long each little can will last. On a dry day I’m going to give it a go and then use the poly metric sand in between the pavers.

Another good idea. I bought propane today. Pretty cheap but wonder how long each little can will last. On a dry day I’m going to give it a go and then use the poly metric sand in between the pavers.

There's always a larger tank...

1649430538160.png

I have one and it works well. Your best bet is to use it as the weeds emerge. By constantly exhausting their stores you can eradicate them completely. It take some patience but it does work and is a better option than putting glyphosate down which poisons my bees, my soil and my well.
Do be cognizant of where you are pointing that thing. I lit some grass on fire by accident and it was kind of scary. You won't have a problem if you just focus. Great item, great choice. Good luck.

I attached a propane tank to a dolly and just tow it around with me. The tank sits in a milk crate which is strapped to dolly. I have a long driveway so it is necessary. Also you don't need to run it full open for you to destroy the weeds. Your tank will last quite awhile depending on useage of course.

My father in law liked the propane torch, but I just use a roundup knock off. He'd use a tank off of the grill that was getting low.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It will work well for the small stuff but is near useless for grown up well established weed/ sticker bushes/woody shrubs. I use mine to start my burning pile all the time, gave up on major weed control. Glyphosate is NOT benign!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have one and it works well. Your best bet is to use it as the weeds emerge. By constantly exhausting their stores you can eradicate them completely. It take some patience but it does work and is a better option than putting glyphosate down which poisons my bees, my soil and my well.
Do be cognizant of where you are pointing that thing. I lit some grass on fire by accident and it was kind of scary. You won't have a problem if you just focus. Great item, great choice. Good luck.
The one I bought is set up for the small green cans so I’ll give that a go. Focus and paying attention does seem key though lol.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It will work well for the small stuff but is near useless for grown up well established weed/ sticker bushes/woody shrubs. I use mine to start my burning pile all the time, gave up on major weed control. Glyphosate is NOT benign!
Well I can imagine it’s more effective on what I’ve got in mind. Weeds in between pavers and in cracks in concrete. Using it on established weeds or brush well ya that’s a brush pile or wild fire something I’m trying to avoid 🤪

Thanks all for all the feedback I appreciate it.

Whether a weed torch is a good idea of a fire hazard may well depend upon where you live and the weather conditions. A wildfire currently burning in New Mexico has consumed 4000 acres and several homes, forcing evacuations. The fire is spreading rapidly due to extremely low humidity levels and high winds. Using a torch under those conditions would be extremely dangerous.

The same storm system that generated the high winds in NM has produced blizzard conditions in North Dakota and heavy rains and tornados in the Midwest, the Midsouth, and the Southeast. In those areas, you would have difficulty starting a fire with a torch at the present time.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Whether a weed torch is a good idea of a fire hazard may well depend upon where you live and the weather conditions. A wildfire currently burning in New Mexico has consumed 4000 acres and several homes, forcing evacuations. The fire is spreading rapidly due to extremely low humidity levels and high winds. Using a torch under those conditions would be extremely dangerous.

The same storm system that generated the high winds in NM has produced blizzard conditions in North Dakota and heavy rains and tornados in the Midwest, the Midsouth, and the Southeast. In those areas, you would have difficulty starting a fire with a torch at the present time.
I’m going to use it primarily on weeds in between paver stones. With a hose nearby I think it’s low risk. But good advice I’m terms of being careful. In addition I don’t think that would be wise to use in the woods.

Top Bottom