What's new

Proof that YMMV

There has been quite a bit of interest in Gems and other SE razors lately on the forum. The general opinion seems to be that the best SE is a 1912 or a lather catcher.

Now take this for what it's worth but I would disagree. I have two 1912s and they do give very close shave, but for me it is not the closest. For that I turn to one of the following: a G-bar, a pushbutton, or especially a Micromatic.

The G-bar is a wonderful razor. Getting the right angle is the most natural thing in the world. It just seems to find its way to the best angle for a great shave. It looks amazing to boot.

The pushbutton is another great tool. I don't think I could nick myself with this razor if I tried. Smooth, easy, and comfortable shaves every time.

Now for my favorite. The Micromatic is amazing. BBS shaves everytime. No irratation, and for me no learning curve. Just put a blade in and go to town. Once wtg once atg and done. I've read some post in which people have said the Micromatic can be a shredder. For me this is far from true. The razor just can't be beat.

I've been wet shaving for years now. Most of that time I used a Feather popular. I also have a Merkur HD. But nothing comes as close as a Gem.

So I guess this just goes to show that it is true YMMV. The 1912s are good razors, but you may want to give one of the other SE styles a try. They are cheap enough that if you don't like them you aren't out much, and that just means more for me!

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much interest in the more modern plastic handled variety. I have one white handled nickel?Chrome?-head Gem(Lightweight? Featherweight?), and probably another one on the way. The "probable" is included with an old Avon shaving mug, along with 3 razors-a Gillette Knack, the probably-Gem, and the reason I bid on it- looks like a Gillette black-handled super adjustable.:wink:

Are the newer ones decent shavers? Looks like there might be a steep learning curve to me.

I haven't caught the SE bug yet, & may soon offer the Gems and an Eversharp Schick Injector (J 1, gold head white handle) if there's any interest.

I am new to all this but I completely agree. My first GEM shave with the Clog Proof Micromatic was the best shave I have experience in my entire life. (shaving for 33 years). I also agree that there was no learning curve in that it was my first time using one. I do understand that YMMV but for me I think it might take a light sabre to get any closer. :biggrin: +1 on them being really inexpensive, seem like the most bang for the buck!

I haven't caught the SE bug yet, & may soon offer the Gems and an Eversharp Schick Injector (J 1, gold head white handle) if there's any interest.

If by offer, you mean sell, I would be interested in the J1 Schick Injector if it is in nice condition.

I shaved with my Star 1912 razor today and it was fantastic. Definitely YMMV. Are there differences in head geometries and and blades exposures between the different models of GEMS that would explain the varying shave experiences, aside from YMMV?

I shaved with my Star 1912 razor today and it was fantastic. Definitely YMMV. Are there differences in head geometries and and blades exposures between the different models of GEMS that would explain the varying shave experiences, aside from YMMV?

In a word: yes. And knowing that fact is your entry point into GEMM RAD. :rolleyes:

I am starting to get quite a GEM collection almost unintentionally. When I see a lot of razors on da Bay with the Gillettes I want, there is often a few Gems or two. I'll have to see what I have exactly. They are the neglected step children!

Aww man, I sold my open comb Micromatic just the other day! I haven't used my Gems in a while because I ran out of blades and neglected to purchase any more.

Gems were the first safety razors I ever tried. Right now I have a G-bar, a 1912 style Junior, and a Featherweight and a Pushbutton on the way from
VR6ofpain plus 5 Ted Pella blades. I can't wait to use them. Maybe after wetshaving for a while now I will be pleasantly surprised when I return to the Gems.

A few of us have been voicing these opinions for quite some time and I'm glad it's finally catching on! Personally, one of my favorite Gems to use is the "Bullseye" Micromatic.. which isn't an open comb. Much like the Push Button Gems, it's gives a super smooth and easy shave. Gem is slowly gaining momentum.. so my guess is the older Gems will start climbing in prices..

I think the thing to keep in mind is there are a lot of Gem razor styles. If one doesn't work for you try another. If someone tried just one DE and didn't care for it no one would say just give it up DEs don't work for you.

Top Bottom