What's new

Prolonging the life of a blade

Not shaving daily, 5-6 shaves is quite an amount of wear on a blade over 10-12 days. I don't think you could ask or expect for anything better.

This, to me, is vastly different than an average daily shaver who bins a blade after 4 or 5 consecutive days. Even then. Not every one shaves every day, so 5-days isn't all that bad. I prefer to keep my blades for a week or seven shaves.

Throwing away things that are still perfectly useful never made much sense to me. If I bring home a soda from a restaurant, I will typically rinse out the cup and throw it in the cabinet. I will reuse it in my car for coffee or water.

I think we agree. 🙂👍

If I shaved every day, I would very likely use one blade per week, probably six shaves and a day off.

No. You do not need to go cheaper, but you could.

I can see not worrying about pennies in the big scheme of things. If your blade is no longer shaving as well as you expect, by all means, bin it.

But if your blade is still shaving well, why not continue to use it for at least a few more shaves.

I am fine with a full week and knowing I can squeeze in an extra shave or two if need be.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I can see not worrying about pennies in the big scheme of things. If your blade is no longer shaving as well as you expect, by all means, bin it.

But if your blade is still shaving well, why not continue to use it for at least a few more shaves.

I am fine with a full week and knowing I can squeeze in an extra shave or two if need be.
My current Lab Blue is halfway through week two and still shaving well. I predict it will begin to drag around two weeks but would not be surprised if it blew through more than a month. Crystals often did.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My current Lab Blue is halfway through week two and still shaving well. I predict it will begin to drag around two weeks but would not be surprised if it blew through more than a month. Crystals often did.
Too late to edit, but my routine to prolong blade life is three passes every day with a hot water pre, a wet MdC lather, and rinsing the razor (with the blade still in it) and putting it on the counter by the sink. Nothing else.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Totally agree and there is a time in many a blades life where it settles down to giving smooth shaves for a prolonged period. There are times when you'll get one bad shave but the next one can be fine.
I don't look for a BBS every time because I don't need to, but once the shave quality consistently deteriorates beyond a DFS the blade heads to the blade bank.

Treet blades state on the label "Leave blade in razor". Voskhod (and others) state "Do not wipe blade" in the packaging. I do not know of any manufacturer that explicitly instructs me to remove blades and rinse/dry between shaves. When I have done so, I have not been able to discern any difference, either in performance or lifetime. My thinking is that only bad things can happen with wet blades/hands/razors, so I rarely do anything but rinse and shake a bit, then hang up to dry.

I do usually flip the blade once after 3 shaves but afterward I just ride it out until I can't go ATG above my lip. It is pretty easy to tell when it isn't any good any more.

Probably the best thing you can do to prolong the life of a blade would be to make sure your beard is thoroughly cleaned and hydrated prior to the shave. Hydration reduces the structural strength of the hairs making them far easier to sever. The more easily the hairs are cut, the less damage will be done to the edge of your razor blade.

I don’t understand. I pay about 9 cents for a Lord Plat. I discard it after 3 shaves. That’s 3 cents per shave. Do I need to go cheaper than that?
How did you determine that 3 shaves was optimal for your Lord blades?

Also, I recall that currently you primarily use bath soap for shaving with good results though in the past you have used some shaving soaps. Did you find that the use of shaving soaps had an effect on blade longevity? If so by how much?

I've found that the use of wetter slicker lather, in addition to delivering an improved shave, has a side effect of delivering improved blade longevity from all my blades.

Your post also got me thinking of the economics of blades versus shaving soaps.

From a pure economics perspective, if using a blade for just three shaves helps enable realization of excellent shaves from low cost soap (e.g. Irish Spring in your latest shaves vs. shaving soaps), then an extra blade per week makes good sense if the shaves are comfortable. Assuming a gram of soap per shave even Arko, currently running $20 U.S. for twelve 75 gram sticks, will cost 2.2 cents per shave. Other shaving soaps much more. Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) at $12 U.S. (on sale) for 125 grams will cost almost 10 cents per shave at the same consumption rate.

Irish spring, currently $7 for twelve 3.7 oz. or 105 gram bars will cost 0.5 cents for one gram per shave, a savings of 1.7 cents over Arko and over 9 cents versus MWF. Assuming 6 shaves per week using one Lord blade versus two would save 9 cents versus an incremental soap cost of 10.2 cents (Arko) to 54 cents (MWF) or even more with more premium or artisan soaps. The above assumes use of pristine bath soap bars for shaving. Using leftover soap scraps, that would be thrown out, would be considered as being free so the incremental cost of shaving soap, using Arko as an example, would jump from 10.2 cents to 13.2 cents with a similar 3 cent per week cost increase for other soaps.

At 9 cents each your savings via the use of bath soap vs. shaving soap easily justify use of a blade every three shaves versus the more typical 5-7 shaves many B&Bers realize. At an estimated total consumables cost of 3 to 3.5 cents per shave you realize some of the lowest cost shaves among B&B members. No economic reason to change an approach like this that works for you.

Bottom line is that given the low cost of most DE blades we should use them in the way that works best for each of us. Changes to shaving techniques/soap usage should be adopted primarily due to how they improve our shaves with any increase to blade longevity just a welcome side benefit. The economics don't support accepting a lower quality shave in a search for enhanced blade longevity.

P.S. Using the same assumptions my shaves run from 2.5 cents to 11 cents each depending on the shaving soap used. The low end is based on now unobtainium 99 cent pucks of Williams with the high end based on my MWF. My Van Der Williams blends run at 3.5 cents per shave, Arko at 3.2 cents and What The Puck soap kicks it up to 4 cents per shave. All above based on a per shave blade cost of roughly one cent that is less then any of the soap costs.

Probably the best thing you can do to prolong the life of a blade would be to make sure your beard is thoroughly cleaned and hydrated prior to the shave. Hydration reduces the structural strength of the hairs making them far easier to sever. The more easily the hairs are cut, the less damage will be done to the edge of your razor blade.
Agree and you will likely have a much better and smoother shave as the main benefit!

My approach is the same. Use the blade as long as it is working well. I've found that with this approach while most blades fall with in a certain range that varies by brand there are occasional outlier blades that just keep going. Posted a while back on a Derby Extra blade that went for over 20 shaves versus my more typical 4-6 Derby shaves and 10-12 from Dorcos. Since moving to slicker lather I really see a sudden massive deterioration in blade performance. It's more gradual allowing me to change out the blade before realizing a poor quality shave.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
How did you determine that 3 shaves was optimal for your Lord blades?

Also, I recall that currently you primarily use bath soap for shaving with good results though in the past you have used some shaving soaps. Did you find that the use of shaving soaps had an effect on blade longevity? If so by how much?

I've found that the use of wetter slicker lather, in addition to delivering an improved shave, has a side effect of delivering improved blade longevity from all my blades.

Your post also got me thinking of the economics of blades versus shaving soaps.

From a pure economics perspective, if using a blade for just three shaves helps enable realization of excellent shaves from low cost soap (e.g. Irish Spring in your latest shaves vs. shaving soaps), then an extra blade per week makes good sense if the shaves are comfortable. Assuming a gram of soap per shave even Arko, currently running $20 U.S. for twelve 75 gram sticks, will cost 2.2 cents per shave. Other shaving soaps much more. Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) at $12 U.S. (on sale) for 125 grams will cost almost 10 cents per shave at the same consumption rate.

Irish spring, currently $7 for twelve 3.7 oz. or 105 gram bars will cost 0.5 cents for one gram per shave, a savings of 1.7 cents over Arko and over 9 cents versus MWF. Assuming 6 shaves per week using one Lord blade versus two would save 9 cents versus an incremental soap cost of 10.2 cents (Arko) to 54 cents (MWF) or even more with more premium or artisan soaps. The above assumes use of pristine bath soap bars for shaving. Using leftover soap scraps, that would be thrown out, would be considered as being free so the incremental cost of shaving soap, using Arko as an example, would jump from 10.2 cents to 13.2 cents with a similar 3 cent per week cost increase for other soaps.

At 9 cents each your savings via the use of bath soap vs. shaving soap easily justify use of a blade every three shaves versus the more typical 5-7 shaves many B&Bers realize. At an estimated total consumables cost of 3 to 3.5 cents per shave you realize some of the lowest cost shaves among B&B members. No economic reason to change an approach like this that works for you.

Bottom line is that given the low cost of most DE blades we should use them in the way that works best for each of us. Changes to shaving techniques/soap usage should be adopted primarily due to how they improve our shaves with any increase to blade longevity just a welcome side benefit. The economics don't support accepting a lower quality shave in a search for enhanced blade longevity.

P.S. Using the same assumptions my shaves run from 2.5 cents to 11 cents each depending on the shaving soap used. The low end is based on now unobtainium 99 cent pucks of Williams with the high end based on my MWF. My Van Der Williams blends run at 3.5 cents per shave, Arko at 3.2 cents and What The Puck soap kicks it up to 4 cents per shave. All above based on a per shave blade cost of roughly one cent that is less then any of the soap costs.
This is a very interesting way of looking at the problem, personally I just like using expensive soaps. I tend to use blades until they deteriorate to a point that the shaves are uncomfortable, but this is really to test how many good shaves I can get.

I also try to average number of shaves per blade so that I don't toss it away to early or too late resulting in an uncomfortable shave. But I don’t do anything to prolong the blade’s life. At some point I tried I to palm strop blades just our of curiosity but didn't see any difference.

People who said that you flip blades or change them when you clean a razor, don’t you disassemble and dry a razor after every use?

Interesting. I'm so used to this process that has never thought it's possible to do otherwise 😊 probably it's really optional.
The only times I don't thoroughly clean and dry my razor are when I can occasionally do a touch-up without lather, for example if I missed a small spot and found it later after everything was cleaned.

To state the obvious:

One of the simplest ways to extend the life of a blade is through a proficient pre-shave routine (which does not even have to be very elaborate) that softens the whiskers.

Users of safety razor may get away with a sloppy pre-shave routine, but straight shavers learn early on that without a good pre-shave you can’t have a good shave.

B.

Interesting. I'm so used to this process that has never thought it's possible to do otherwise 😊 probably it's really optional.
The only times I don't thoroughly clean and dry my razor are when I can occasionally do a touch-up without lather, for example if I missed a small spot and found it later after everything was cleaned.

I change my blade every 4-6 shaves and at that time I do a little light upkeep, wiping off blade wax or soap residue. That's pretty much all I do regularly.

If I notice that one of my razors is getting especially nasty I'll take the time to clean it more thoroughly. That happens once, maybe twice a year depending on the razor.

There are other ones that I use so infrequently that I honestly can't remember the last time I cleaned them.

Mind you, there are plenty of folks on this forum who do exactly what you have been doing. Nothing wrong with that at all. I find it unnecessary but if it makes others happy, so be it. :thumbup1:

I shave daily, and 9/10 shaves are with straight razors, the rest are DE shaves. I have noticed that the number of days between use also factor in. A blade that has been used one time, and if it sits in the razor for a couple of weeks it seems to be degraded, probably from oxidation.
I can usually get 4 to 6 good shaves out of most blades if I use one blade each consecutive day.
Some razors are also gentler on the blade. Rigid blade support seems to do worse.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am one of those odd people who disassemble my razors after every use. I clean and dry them, flip the blade when re-assembling them. It takes just a few minutes. I wash out and towel dry my brush while the Alum is on my face. Wash my face, apply Metro Gel.. as that is drying, I clean and dry the razors. Then I finish up with the Hyaluronic Acid and Neutrogena Hydro boost Gel-Cream. I let the Hyaluronic Acid dry before I put on the Neutrogena... I clean up the bathroom during the drying phases. It's become a simple, repeatable routine.

I have a simple routine for my pre-shave prep as well. I guess that's how my mind works... everything simple and repeatable. I also keep a simple shaving log on my iPhone in "Notes"... Date, razor, blade and its uses. Brief comment about the shave itself. It takes a very short time to do that...and my memory is not what it once was... old guy brain syndrome..

I still haven't been able to successfully push any of the fine DE blades I have past two full, 3 pass shaves. I get 6 full shaves out of my AC blades. I've tried to get several DE blades all the way through my third shave, but they have never been comfortable at that stage. I dislike changing razors mid stream... or changing out a blade in the middle of a shave. That's why I just change them out as I do... DE blades: 2 and done; AC blades: 6 and done.

I also try to average number of shaves per blade so that I don't toss it away to early or too late resulting in an uncomfortable shave. But I don’t do anything to prolong the blade’s life. At some point I tried I to palm strop blades just our of curiosity but didn't see any difference.

People who said that you flip blades or change them when you clean a razor, don’t you disassemble and dry a razor after every use?
No, I disassemble and clean my razor with each blade change. Just a thorough rinsing in hot water after each shave. Approach works well with no detrimental effects observed on my razors. Also, think of today's modern cartridge systems where a rinsing is all that is typically ever done.

Top Bottom