What's new

Project Old Type

I have a Gillette Old Type that I picked up from an antique shop for dirt cheap that needs refinished. The handle that came with it is definitely not original Gillette. That in itself doesn't bother me but the fact that it is so short and skinny does. I have looked all over ebay and the BST (which I can't post to anyway...) and cannot find just a plain old vintage Gillette handle for sale. It would be nice to put it back to an appropriate handle for the Old Type razors. Does anyone have a source for these? I have read more than one post where someone tried to fix a bent tooth and ended up breaking it, so I figured there might be some homeless handles out there somewhere...?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have seen the odd one on Ebay, but they are rare and hard to find. Just the other day I bought a razor from Amazon just because I wanted that particular handle. Have a look around the usual sites, but dont just search handles, search razors as well and you might be surprised what you can find inexpensively.

Actually, the handle I did buy is a loose copy of a 1918 Gillette Bell End. It's a brass handle, but chrome plated. I plan on stripping the chrome...somehow.

Amazon.com : All Metal Textured Safety Razor Long Handle (Textured handle and smooth end) : Shaving Sets : Beauty

Just a suggestion but complete OT's regularly show up on the usual auction sites at very reasonable prices.

proxy.php

I have a Gillette Old Type that I picked up from an antique shop for dirt cheap that needs refinished. The handle that came with it is definitely not original Gillette. That in itself doesn't bother me but the fact that it is so short and skinny does. I have looked all over ebay and the BST (which I can't post to anyway...) and cannot find just a plain old vintage Gillette handle for sale. It would be nice to put it back to an appropriate handle for the Old Type razors. Does anyone have a source for these? I have read more than one post where someone tried to fix a bent tooth and ended up breaking it, so I figured there might be some homeless handles out there somewhere...?

Please show us what you have. :001_smile

But watch out for split handles, a condition that is very common on Old Types.

Rewind. If you're serious about an Old Type razor, why not do this:

1. Shave for one week with what you have to confirm you have a love affair with the Old Type razor.

2. Then start anew, and search for an Old Type razor in good and original condition for sale, sans a split handle. Old Type razors are fairly easy to find at reasonable prices. (I would not re-plate your razor. It probably would cost at least $100, and you can buy one in very good condition for maybe $50 or so.)

3. And then enjoy a lifetime of Old Type razor shaves.

BTW if you are a younger guy with soft whiskers, you might want to choose an Old Type with the thick cap from the 1920's. If you're an older guy with tough whiskers you might want to look for an Old Type razor with a thin cap from the teens and earlier. But thick cap vs. thin cap is controversial, and it's a judgment call only you can make. YMMV.

Let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree that they are easy to find complete and for a reasonable price. "Tinkering" is just in my blood. I want to try my hand at DIY replating and this razor seems like a great test subject. Even if it doesn't turn out, it can just be re-stripped and tried again. I will keep looking for Gillette handles.

Hi,

Heck. Shoot the entire razor. Then, we can tell you if you have a Thick or a Thin. That way, you can look for the opposite with a good handle, and have both kinds! :)

Stan

Judging from the photo, a real ball-end handle (appropriate for an OT) is not going to be any thicker or significantly longer (two issues you raised in the original post).

Top Bottom