What's new

Project: Cigar Humidor as Dehumidifier for Straight Razor Box

So, I have decided that I need to move my razors out of my bathroom and into the second bathroom (which is rarely used for showering) due to humidity issues. Particularly because of my B&B Thiers Issard Le Grelot. I am in CA, so humidity is not a huge issue, but it can be in certain times of the year so I would rather be safe than sorry.

So... I embarked upon a journey to find out what others are doing to preserve their precious razors from the elements. The vast majority do not have any problems, and just apply a thin coat of Tuf-Glide or Camellia oil either when storing the razor, or a few times a month/week depending on the climate. This seemed to prevent most issues, and will certainly work for most people, but for those who want to go a step further would want to use a dehumidifier box to keep your razors in a bone dry climate.

Here are the products I purchased:
Cigar Humidor off ebay with glass top. $35.
These range from $20-several hundred for really nice ones. $35 should work just fine for me. They are cedar lined usually and are guaranteed airtight with their "Sure-Seal" technology.
Silica Gel Packets. These can either be purchased, or saved over time. You really dont need a whole lot of them to start out with. Maybe 2-3. I purchased mine here: LINK 20 packest for $6.40 shipped :thumbup: Good Deal!

And Thats it! Thats all I need to get started. Although you may want to pick up a humidity thermostat from your local hardware store if the humidor you use does not have a gauge attached.

Most humidors are going to have a humidifier of some sort included. You'll want to either remove that completely, or modify it to be able to store your silica gel packets. Most humidors need to be "Conditioned" prior to use as a humidifier. This is done by using a wet cloth/paper towel and creating the humidity climate. I dont think this will be necessary for straight razor storage so I dont think I am going to do that.

Anyways, that is what I am going to do. We'll see how it goes, and I'll keep you posted on its progress and productivity. If any others have already done this, please chime in!

Sounds like a great idea, and well thought out. I have been looking at the old Lane Cedar Chest (the kind the salesmen gave to teenage girls as a jewelry box) but I like your idea better. Will you post a few photos when you get yours set up?

I used a Cohiba cigar box from a long-ago trip to cuba (smoked the cigars by now...) and lined it with satin using some foam to create a bed with little slots for my daily shavers. I have a few silica packs from shoes I've bought in there, and a little flat area for my soaps. Works pretty swell.

mmmmmmm sandlewoodcigarsmell....

I've been wanting to do the same thing. I kind of put the cart before the horse and bought a dehumidifier used for gun case storage. Now i just need to find a box big enough for both it and my straights.

so basically using a non-conditioned humidor will act in the opposite way that it was intended (preventing cigars from drying out)? The cedar absorbs moisture, guarding the razors from rust?

I checked out ebay, and there are some decent looking and cheap humidors. just using it as a plain cedar box with the gauge is the idea?

cool. maybe i'll work on one of these for straight storage too.

Samouraï;1320255 said:
so basically using a non-conditioned humidor will act in the opposite way that it was intended (preventing cigars from drying out)? The cedar absorbs moisture, guarding the razors from rust?

I checked out ebay, and there are some decent looking and cheap humidors. just using it as a plain cedar box with the gauge is the idea?

cool. maybe i'll work on one of these for straight storage too.

Keeping the razors in an air tight box (any kind of air tight container) keeps most of the humidity out. By putting some of the packets in the box the moisture will be absorbed. I used the Remington brand de-humidifier.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Silica gel packets are meant to be disposable. I keep reuseable dehumidifiers in my camera bags- they change color when they lose their effectiveness, and can be dried out and reused in a toaster oven.

The natural absorbency of cedar is a boon, and the silica gel packets will help, but the amount of protection you need will depend on where you are located. Since your user tag currently lists you as "homeless," I'm assuming you need quite a bit of protection -- though that could vary wildly, depending on whether you're under a bridge in Taos, or camped beside a cycad in Miami Beach.

My trade secret is the following: yes a humidor is meant to keep things at fixed humidity, but can also be used to remove humidity. In EXTREMELY damp climes, I recommend using the humidifier's built-in absorbent pad -- the one you would normally keep moist with distilled water. However, instead of distilled water or a solution of distilled water and propylene glycol, use a 100% propylene glycol solution. This is a fantastic moisture soaker. A bottle of the stuff will cost you a song, and last you a dozen years.

But if you live in a moderate or dry climate, this would possibly be overkill. (This is how I kept my razors AND Cubans in perfect condition when I lived in the deep tropics.)

- M.

My box arrived and everything is now ready to begin the project.

I stuck a small silica gel packet in the box and left it over the weekend to see how much humidity it would absorb. It started out at around 35% and is now at 30% and holding. Looks like I'll need to put in a few more packets to speed up the process and get it closer to ZERO. I'm gonna stop by the craft store this afternoon (Michaels) and pick up some felt and a bit of foam along with some spray glue to make a little "bed" for the razors to rest snugly in.

My box arrived and everything is now ready to begin the project.

I stuck a small silica gel packet in the box and left it over the weekend to see how much humidity it would absorb. It started out at around 35% and is now at 30% and holding. Looks like I'll need to put in a few more packets to speed up the process and get it closer to ZERO. I'm gonna stop by the craft store this afternoon (Michaels) and pick up some felt and a bit of foam along with some spray glue to make a little "bed" for the razors to rest snugly in.

Hard to hit zero humidity .

cityjim

Last edited:
It is, but it certainly is not at all impossible. Also, I dont think that all the way to zero though is entirely necessary, but I definitly want to get as low as possible.

What about filing the box, if not very big, with rice? That is supposed to absorb moisture, and may be faster than the silica gel bag...

What about filing the box, if not very big, with rice? That is supposed to absorb moisture, and may be faster than the silica gel bag...

That would certainly work, but I think the silica would just be easier because it is more conveniently package. Rice is certainly an option if you dont have access to silica gel packs.

Pics when this is done please... :smile:

I will need to do the same thing as I live in south florida... land of super humidity.:rolleyes:

I am definitly gonna get some pics up! I'm hoping to get it in a step by step process with details of the process for everyones benefit. I am currently in the middle of about 4 different projects and haven't gotten very far with this yet. Maybe I'll get to it sometime this week...

Top Bottom