What's new

Progressive Straight Razor Honing Clinic – 9 Part Video Series

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I realize this is a pretty old thread now, but I just found it and watched the first of the videos while I was was looking for a comprehensive and consistent discussion of honing with stones (as opposed to film about which Slash @Slash McCoy has provided great material). I know there are a great many honing videos out there and I've watched a good many of them; that's the problem. There are so many various methods and points of view that it becomes confusing.

Everybody making videos and teaching honing seems to have a variation on two points of view about honing.
  1. This is the way to go and it works great for me (then somebody else says it doesn't work for them).
  2. You have to try everything and find out what works for you (but everything is a very big word).
Then, of course, it's a matter of which stones work best. We all know the discussions are endless, and interesting, and fun, but maybe not always as helpful as we'd like them to be.

I'm also very sure that some of the honing gurus know exactly what they're doing, hone their razors to a very sharp, keen, and comfortable edge, etc. I'm not blaming them for my failure to be a good student and my confusion.

I want to be clear here. I'm not opposed to anybody's point of view or method or technique or stones or explanation. I understand there is probably not a universally applicable, comprehensive, complete, encompassing stone honing method or video series. I might be okay with that, but it would be nice if there were one (I sometimes think. Today being one of those times.).

At the moment I'm a newbie to the SR and to honing. I have fewer than forty straight razor shaves under my belt. I've also discovered that my razors (the ones I've honed and the ones I've purchased shave ready) are much less sharp than Proline blades in my Feather barber razor. Straights shave me much less well than the Feather/Proline. Thus, I'm currently using the Feather and the AC blade. I'm getting very good shaves with the Feather/Proline.

However, I want to get shaves this good with my true straight razors. To do so, I want to become competent at honing the SR. I know some people get away with a razor which isn't very sharp, but that doesn't look like it's going to work for me. Like everyone, I want the perfect mixture of sharp and smooth.

I will continue with this series to see what it offers. My assumption is this series became a sticky for good reason.

So, mostly this post is a long, rambling bump.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's been both taught and experienced that the burr method works for new and inexperienced honers.

I know you have stones and I hope later to pick up a few, but a $27 pack of films on a marble tile with water has been discussed quite a bit by people who have turned their razors into "shave ready".

I am experimenting a bit with my Thuringian just because I want to and not from need.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've watched this series of videos. It's probably a bit dated in that the waterstones are mostly the Norton 4K/8K but it's still a pretty good series on honing, at least for me it is. Lots of great information and a consistent technique and point of view.

Sounds like the razors become very sharp with stones and methods used, too, which is great.

Thanks to the people involved in making this and making it available.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just watched Part 1 and I couldn't understand a word he said until I put on a pair of earphones. Then, I could follow most of what he said. I'm going to continue watching and hope that I get enough of what he's trying to tell us.

Top Bottom