What's new

Progressive Straight Razor Honing Clinic – 9 Part Video Series

Oops, I just went back and read that you actually quoted the post that I directed you to. I guess that the answer would be that in theory the extra time that the toe spends on the hone could be cause more wear in that area, but in practice my experience is that the pressure really dictates the wear much more than the amount of time that the portion stays on the hone. Use very light to no pressure (just the weight of the razor) and your hone wear will be even accross the spine and edge even if you are using the X-pattern on a wide stone assuming that things happen the same way with you as they do with me.

David

Oops, I just went back and read that you actually quoted the post that I directed you to. I guess that the answer would be that in theory the extra time that the toe spends on the hone could be cause more wear in that area, but in practice my experience is that the pressure really dictates the wear much more than the amount of time that the portion stays on the hone. Use very light to no pressure (just the weight of the razor) and your hone wear will be even accross the spine and edge even if you are using the X-pattern on a wide stone assuming that things happen the same way with you as they do with me.

David

David,
Thank you very much for your thoughtfull reply.
Go Bluesbreakers!

Awesome vids, learned a lot!!! thanks!

I see a nice espresso setup, are you an espresso enthusiast too?

Haha, that is my father's machine and house (my current place would be too small to comfortably fit everyone in for this event) and he only really uses that machine for coffee and cappuccino. I do love good strong coffee and espresso though. Most people are somewhat shocked :eek: when they see the size of that thing as it is really an “industrial grade” machine for restaurants and such. Mark (JMS) who was sitting there and answering questions (the guy with the nice W&B’s) runs a appliance repair business and joked about the fact that he repairs those machines all the time …in restaurants.

I just want to thank you for the vids. As I progress I am always going back to these and they are always timeless.

Thanks,
Richard

I was up late talking to my girlfriend until 3am.
I was just about to go to bed, when some idle clicking on B&B brought up this thread. Because the video is in 10min bite sized pieces, I kept thinking 'just one more.....' and ended up watching the whole thing straight.
Excellent video, especially for a noob such as myself.
I only wish I had the money to spring for a hone right now :frown:

Just watched the first two segments, but I have to go cook dinner. Otherwise I'd be watching all night. Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to put these videos together.

I'm having trouble with the TPT. I tried on my razor before, during and after honing. I also checked a brand new DE blade. All of them my thumb just slides down it and does not seem to "dig in". Am I not pressing hard enough?

at 1k level your thumb should grip the edge at 4k level the thumb will realy grab not slide . you need to hone a little more if your thimb is sliding. don't move of 1k untill you can shave a little arm hair then moce to 4k for 60 laps then 8k 20 12k 20laps i often do 100 light laps on 4k it does no arm and makes for sharp edge

I'm having trouble with the TPT. I tried on my razor before, during and after honing. I also checked a brand new DE blade. All of them my thumb just slides down it and does not seem to "dig in". Am I not pressing hard enough?

See if wetting your thumb to perform the test increases the "sticky" sensation with the DE blade. You should not need to use much pressure.

Thanks for the videos, David. I really appreciate the down-to-earth approach (with what seems like due respect to the science/art balance). Gives me confidence to give it a shot. Just wanted to say thanks.

Thanks for the awesome resource! Noob at honing and noob at life, so appreciate all the sage advice from all the gents out there.

Top Bottom