What's new

Progress vs. Futur

I am considering the purchase of a Merkur Progress and the Futur. I am a novice and I own an HD, but after I showed the razor to my dad he liked it so well he wanted it and I thought an adjustable might be better for my very sensitive skin anyway. The information I keep coming across on these razors seems more like marketing jabber rather than actual information, so I'd like to know how one compares to the other. Thanks so much to all.

If you look around, there have been a variety of threads recently on these razors. I doubt either one will be any better than your HD if your skin is sensitive. The Futur is a heavy beast that can open up to have a large amount of blade exposure. It is a great razor, but one that needs respect. The Progress is a good razor also, with much less blade exposure. It is very similar to the HD, but you can dial it down to a very mild setting. If your primary goal is to not impact your sensitive skin, my gut reaction is just stick with the HD. This way you won't have to worry about dorking around with the settings.

I don't know anything about the Futur (I was turned off by the clip on cover) but I have a Progress, HD, Slant, 2 Fatboy and 2 Slim Adjustables. I like them all but the Progress is my go to razor. I like the large cream holding channel under the blade, I seem to be able to shave more strokes between rinsing then with my other razors.

I haven't used a Futur (though they do look very cool), but I do own the Progress and the HD and I would have to say that the HD is a much more gentle shave... I find that I can get a closer and smoother shave with the Progress than with the HD, but it comes at a cost - namely it takes more time since I have to be much more careful else I may end up with a nic or cut. IMHO, if you are looking for a gentle shave then you should stick with the HD (or similar)...

cooncatbob said:
I don't know anything about the Futur (I was turned off by the clip on cover) but I have a Progress, HD, Slant, 2 Fatboy and 2 Slim Adjustables. I like them all but the Progress is my go to razor. I like the large cream holding channel under the blade, I seem to be able to shave more strokes between rinsing then with my other razors.
Now admit it Bob! You love the Progress because it has the world's sexiest wooden knob on it!:lol:

I admit it, I love my Rosewood knob.
There's a beater Progress on e-bay, and if I can score it for cheap I'm going to try and correct it's preceived short comings. Like replacing the fluted shaft with a knurled shaft like the HD and Slant and of course I'll put a wooden knob on it.

You also might consider the Vision, though it's twice the cost of the Futur. Gives a great shave, IMHO. YMMV. So far as the clip-on top of the Futur, I rather like that. Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoy the look and feel of the Futur. When I use another DE, I miss the weight and balance of the Futur. Further, I have not had any problems with the cap. When I want to change the blade, I just turn it upside down and pop the cap off with my thumb into my other hand. The blade usually comes off in the cap, and I just remove the blade and throw it away.

Cheers,
Brian

Top Bottom