What's new

Progress shave angle photo requests

Somewhere on B and B there is a post that shows the correct blade angle for a HD. Would anyone who has a Progress mind doing the same, showing the angle for each setting, 1 to 5?

Cheers guys

Somewhere on B and B there is a post that shows the correct blade angle for a HD. Would anyone who has a Progress mind doing the same, showing the angle for each setting, 1 to 5?

Cheers guys

I'll tell you now that the angle is the same regardless of the setting. Blade is 30 degrees to the face. Find that angle and the rest will fall into place.

Does that mean that when you use the more aggressive settings you don´t rest the safety bar on your skin?

Does that mean that when you use the more aggressive settings you don´t rest the safety bar on your skin?

I don't know about that...on the progress, all the setting really does is relax how much bend is on the blade and widen the gap just a smidge per setting. I've never really paid that close attention to any adjustable razor and I just got my progress.

I think though, typically, the higher the setting, the more likely you are to have the guard bar on your face less or not at all. Perhaps someone can correct me here?

There is an article about this in the Wiki, if I recall.

One thing to keep in mind is the proper blade angle on any given razor will equate to a different handle angle compared to other razors. Here's what I did, put a blade in the razor, help it up to the vertical wall of my cabinet and rotated the razor until the blade was at the proper angle. I then noticed that in order to get the blade angle correctly to shave and not scrape, the handle of the razor was at approximately 45 degrees.

This helped me massively.

Charlie

One thing to keep in mind is the proper blade angle on any given razor will equate to a different handle angle compared to other razors. Here's what I did, put a blade in the razor, help it up to the vertical wall of my cabinet and rotated the razor until the blade was at the proper angle. I then noticed that in order to get the blade angle correctly to shave and not scrape, the handle of the razor was at approximately 45 degrees.

This helped me massively.

Charlie

I actually get better shaves when my blade angle is SLIGHTLY toward the "scraping" motion you describe, maybe a 35 degree angle.

Could someone post a picture of the progress on 5 and its cutting angle please? I would really like to see it against a surface so that I understand

Could someone post a picture of the progress on 5 and its cutting angle please? I would really like to see it against a surface so that I understand

See the problem is that every Progress is different from one razor to the next, setting 5 on my razor may be totally different than the 5 on your razor.

The progress is NOT standardized. All i can say is that the safety guard should ALWAYS be in contact with your face, no matter WHAT razor you use. The safety guard should be in contact with your face more than the head of the razor, otherwise you get skipping, tugging and generally a bad shave.

I think I still need a photo. Looking at pictures of the progress it seems to me that the wider it is opened the more the blade protrudes past the line of the safety bar, and if one were to put the safety bar on one's face, it would mean that the blade would dig in.

antsjack, I don't have a Progress, but apparently you do. If that's the case you could just take that picture yourself, or really just hold it up against a flat surface and look at it. It may be that on yours too much of the blade is exposed at 5 If that's the case, dial it back a bit. In any case all will become clear when you lie it on the table and look at it from the side.

I think I still need a photo. Looking at pictures of the progress it seems to me that the wider it is opened the more the blade protrudes past the line of the safety bar, and if one were to put the safety bar on one's face, it would mean that the blade would dig in.

Nope, there is no difference how far the blade protrudes from the head no matter what setting you have the razor on, the only difference on the higher settings is how far away the blade is from the safety guard.

Top Bottom