What's new

Profit On Shaving Soaps And Aftershaves?

I am an Accountant and have done retail and manufacturing accounting.
It is likely to be between 40 to 50%. Less if discounted.
This means 40 to 50% o the sales price is profit.
With so much competition, margins are likely to be normal to low.
You've got to sell a lot of soap to make any money.

thanks and i was asking cause i was thinking of making soaps as a hobby

and another good point is competition today everyone is coming out with shave soaps

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The thing is to be competitive you can't really ask too much as people won't buy. The dearest that I have paid for a soap is $15 Australian and I was not impressed with the soap. The service provided my the seller was excellent but for the life of me I could not get the soap to work. Back to my cheap Proraso Soaps. Very dependable IMHO.

The thing is to be competitive you can't really ask too much as people won't buy. The dearest that I have paid for a soap is $15 Australian and I was not impressed with the soap. The service provided my the seller was excellent but for the life of me I could not get the soap to work. Back to my cheap Proraso Soaps. Very dependable IMHO.
thanks! which soap you didnt like?

You should take a moment to learn how this this forum board.
You can quote more than one post in one single reply, rather than doing every quote in a new reply.
Also this place exists quite a few years before you have registered, so it is quite likely someone else has already discussed these same topics before.

Before you start a new thread take a deep breath and count to 33!

You should take a moment to learn how this this forum board.
You can quote more than one post in one single reply, rather than doing every quote in a new reply.
Also this place exists quite a few years before you have registered, so it is quite likely someone else has already discussed these same topics before.

Before you start a new thread take a deep breath and count to 33!
33 thanks!

Profit margins on soaps and aftershaves are probably not that big as with custom razors or brushes.
But, you do see quite a large number of artisans surviving more than a few months, meaning that there is enough demand and profits to continue with their endeavor.

And, factor in whether you are selling directly or through distribution (retailers) or not. I suspect your last sentence is the key one :).

Id say that for the ones who are successful, its pretty lucrative. Im sure that it doesnt cost more than a dollar or 2 to make a puck of soap but I also dont think that the traditional shaving market is big enough for any of them to get rich off of it.
Keep in mind, in the world of shaving, artisan soaps and aftershaves are a very, very small slice of the pie.

I use Van der Hage soap. My Aftershaves are Old Spice, and Pinaud Clubman. I can afford to replace these when I run low, so, IMO, the profit margin on them is irrelevant.

Top Bottom