What's new

Profile Puzzle

Long story cut short. In 1985 my sister was working for Wilkinson Sword and she gave my father what she reckoned was a lifetime supply of Profile blades (they are plastic packs of 5 which say Profile on them) and a handle (he is 90 and still using them). However the 'jaws' on his handle are not working right. So I ordered a Profile handle and blade of the internet (it can probably be found as the 'Newcastle brown ale' profile razor. However, the newcastle Profile handle & blade don't match the blades and handle my father has. They are a 'side slide on' setup, whereas my fathers handle has jaws - and the plastic back of the blade is slightly different to accommodate this. Does anyone know where there two types of profile razor?

Attachments

• Profile - Jaws type.jpg
    Profile - Jaws type.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Newcastle Profile Razor (side load).jpg
    Newcastle Profile Razor (side load).jpg
    884 KB · Views: 37

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I have no great knowledge of these razors as I am in Australia and have not seen these out here. Maybe @Sabre might have an idea as he has extensive knowledge of cartridge type razors.

Didn't that style of wilko cart gone on to be called the Wilkinson protector? Seem to remember my old one hah that claw type arrangement.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wilkinson made the Profile pivoting razor in the early 1980's and the Profile fixed razor starting in 1986. The pivoting has the clamping jaws and was known as the "Royale" pivoting razor, it came in silver and gold. The plain Profile has the slip on type.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Folks, many thanks for your thoughtful advice. I will try a modern Protector first (if the jaws do not match I will seek a Royale on line).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Folks, many thanks for your thoughtful advice. I will try a modern Protector first (if the jaws do not match I will seek a Royale on line).
The Royale is VERY hard to come by. eBay has just one listed as sold and it was listed for $120.00
Examples can be seen at Worthpoint.
Ebay lists none currently, and it's impossible to search etsy with any precision because "Wilkinson Sword Royale Razor" returns everything with ANY of those words.
Etsy sucks.

Last edited:
Hmm.....the jaws of the modern Protector3 are too big for the Profile Royale blades....does anyone know if there was an earlier Protector with smaller jaws?

The Royale is VERY hard to come by. eBay has just one listed as sold and it was listed for $120.00
Examples can be seen at Worthpoint.
Ebay lists none currently, and it's impossible to search etsy with any precision because "Wilkinson Sword Royale Razor" returns everything with ANY of those words.
Etsy sucks.
The Royale has to be best cart razor ever made. Thankfully I have so many I have lost count. The Atra Elite is probably the next best luxury cart razor.

The 1986 versions included pivoting and fixed versions in plastic. Later they relaunched aluminium versions which were a lot lighter than the Zinc Royale.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The 1986 versions included pivoting and fixed versions in plastic. Later they relaunched aluminium versions which were a lot lighter than the Zinc Royale.

I REALLY like what appears to be a very long handle on those. They are not ringing a bell on my mind at the moment.... Around that time I was probably using the "Good News" disposable though. I had dumped the DE probably around the time I started driving?

I REALLY like what appears to be a very long handle on those. They are not ringing a bell on my mind at the moment.... Around that time I was probably using the "Good News" disposable though. I had dumped the DE probably around the time I started driving?
They were marketed as the Ultra Glide in North America. There are plenty of Ultra Glide carts on eBay from North American sellers, but the handles appear to have dried up.

il_340x270.3802274332_212x.jpg

The above handle resembles a Royale, but would have been aluminium, as noted it's also non pivoting model.. Most handles were plastic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom