What's new

Products that exceeded your expectations, or that you can't do without.

The holidays are approaching , and I have gotten a few great gift ideas for my list from asking this question on other forums. What product have you bought that exceeded your expectations, or that you enjoyed so much you now consider it essential? Doesn't necessarily have to be shave related, but that is good too....

Here are a few of mine-

My Toyota Tacoma - 2014 Quad Cab PreRunner
Blendtec Blender - Use it every day for smoothies
Nissan Vacuum Insulated Thermos
Filson 72 Hour Briefcase
Moleskin notebooks
Salomon Quest 4D GTX Boots
Darn Tough Socks
Desoto 400 mile bibs
Kurt Kinetic RocknRoll bike trainer
Mizuno Waverider Running Shoes
TRX Suspension Trainer
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker

the Pencil, its great you can wright stuff with it.
the coat hanger I can not tell you how many things I have fixed with a coat hanger.
the little brother of the coat hanger the paper clip any thing to small to be fixed with a coat hanger can be fixed with a paper clip.

A Leatherman tool. works well with coat hanger and paper clip.

Arko - doesn't smell nearly as bad as many reviews state across the 'net. Explodes into lather and is cheap. Was skeptical until I tried it.
Pinaud aftershaves - read a fair amount of bad reviews across the internet (excluding B&B) about smell. Bought, tried, tested & approved. Wife doesn't mind them either, and that is the most important factor IMO.
Muhle R41 - Read a fair amount of reviews citing it made mincemeat of the face and not worth the purchase. I went ahead and got one anyways being an adventurous soul. Love it and it occupies most of my shaves.

Automatic start- I used to think that this was the silliest feature that a vehicle could have, but when it is very cold outside (i.e. when it's winter and I'm not in Charlotte :lol:), automatic start is a lifesaver.

Amazon Prime- $99 a year for what is essentially an upfront payment for shipping? Nonsense! Well, I've had it for just under a year and will happily renew. Not having to leave the house for items is great, not to mention that you get everything in two days.

Bose noise canceling earphones- I cannot remember what my set cost, but I believe it was $300-$400. That is a lot for some headphones, but they are really great when you're on a plane. They block out most of the background noise. I'll even wear them when I'm not listening to music, just to block out the airplane engine's humming.

GrillGrates for my Weber grill. Eliminate hot spots, keep the food much more moist, and leave great grill marks.

My Glock 17, super reliable and good accuracy.
New Balance 928 leather shoes, have lasted a year when everything else falls apart on me within a few months.
Minelab E-trac metal detector - expensive but a joy to use, and great depth.
Members Mark trash bags at Sam's Club, best trash bags you can buy. These and the toilet paper are worth the annual Sam's Club membership by themselves.
Golden Nib Finest brush knots, best bang for the buck in the shaving world. I have three in my rotation.

Automatic start- I used to think that this was the silliest feature that a vehicle could have, but when it is very cold outside (i.e. when it's winter and I'm not in Charlotte :lol:), automatic start is a lifesaver.

Amazon Prime- $99 a year for what is essentially an upfront payment for shipping? Nonsense! Well, I've had it for just under a year and will happily renew. Not having to leave the house for items is great, not to mention that you get everything in two days.

Bose noise canceling earphones- I cannot remember what my set cost, but I believe it was $300-$400. That is a lot for some headphones, but they are really great when you're on a plane. They block out most of the background noise. I'll even wear them when I'm not listening to music, just to block out the airplane engine's humming.

Matthew, I could not agree more about Amazon Prime. We really only signed up for the video streaming. However, like candy to a crackhead, the Prime shipping has taken us by storm. Last year we saved Father Christmas a lot of reindeer fuel by having a tonne of stuff show up early at the doorstep. Heck, the USPS is now delivering Prime packages on Sundays. I ordered some chargers awhile back because my wife and daughter were heading to Florida for two weeks. I bollocksed the order and did not notice they were not really Prime eligible. No matter, they showed up in two days anyway and made the flight so I didn't have to mail them over. Between shipping and video streaming(which lately has not been updated with much of anything) it is worth the $8.50 per month for us. Yeah, some prices are higher with Prime but judicious shopping alleviates that. People sometimes flip out at Amazon for being to all powerful or whatever. Much the same was said about Sears, Roebuck, & Co. Amazon is what Sears should have become. Unless they completely overprice it or service drops to zilch we will continue to subscribe.

Matthew, I could not agree more about Amazon Prime. We really only signed up for the video streaming. However, like candy to a crackhead, the Prime shipping has taken us by storm. Last year we saved Father Christmas a lot of reindeer fuel by having a tonne of stuff show up early at the doorstep. Heck, the USPS is now delivering Prime packages on Sundays. I ordered some chargers awhile back because my wife and daughter were heading to Florida for two weeks. I bollocksed the order and did not notice they were not really Prime eligible. No matter, they showed up in two days anyway and made the flight so I didn't have to mail them over. Between shipping and video streaming(which lately has not been updated with much of anything) it is worth the $8.50 per month for us. Yeah, some prices are higher with Prime but judicious shopping alleviates that. People sometimes flip out at Amazon for being to all powerful or whatever. Much the same was said about Sears, Roebuck, & Co. Amazon is what Sears should have become. Unless they completely overprice it or service drops to zilch we will continue to subscribe.

It really changes the way you shop too. No more trips for small items, like floss or tea.

$k2-_689b9927-4c38-4e0d-a91c-fec71cf67e83.v1.jpg

My Spyderco Delica 4 knife. I can't believe it hasn't rusted. I take it running because of the light weight.
New Yorker annual subscription. Best writing in the nation, IMO.
Glock 27 gen 3.
Fenix flashlights
Victorinox Swiss Army key chain multi-tool
Lamy Joy fountain pen
Pull-up bar (door frame)
Nike workout shorts

Hardware:
ironmaster adjustable weights & bench
Automatic rice cooker
Buckwheat husk pillow (Eliminated back/neck pain)
blender bottle
Goldenear audio speakers
Chrome messenger bag (also, Timbuktu)
Icebreaker wool t shirts & socks
sharkbite adapters for plumbing fixes

Software:
pixelmator (a digital image editing program, like photoshop, but for osx)
adobe lightroom (for editing photos quickly)
1writer (word processor for iPad)
dropbox
moom for osx
personal capital application for iOS

Products & Services:
Amazon prime
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein, Casein, & men's daily multivitamin
mobile ready boarding passes
audible.com
onlone bill pay via my bank

Last edited:
Arko - doesn't smell nearly as bad as many reviews state across the 'net. Explodes into lather and is cheap. Was skeptical until I tried it.
Pinaud aftershaves - read a fair amount of bad reviews across the internet (excluding B&B) about smell. Bought, tried, tested & approved. Wife doesn't mind them either, and that is the most important factor IMO.
Muhle R41 - Read a fair amount of reviews citing it made mincemeat of the face and not worth the purchase. I went ahead and got one anyways being an adventurous soul. Love it and it occupies most of my shaves.

Never tried a Muhle (yet) but 100% in agreement on Arko and Pinaud. Both products have far exceeded my expectations and both are so reasonably priced!

for my list
The Delong Silvertip brush: Luxury for less than $30
Kindle Fire: My wife got me one. I never thought I'd move away from printed books and desktop computers but I did.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: I'd never been on a cruise before, wasn't sure about it but I can't wait to go again.
Zappos: I had a coupon so I though I'd buy a pair of work shoes there. Outstanding service and selection.

Top Bottom