What's new

Products that are Other Products

Hello all,

I find it interesting when people use products in ways that were obviously never intended by the manufacturer. For example, I have a bottle of acne treatment (I'm a youngun, what can I say) that says "astringent" on it, and when i read on the B&B wiki that one main function of alcohol-based aftershave is as an astringent, I figured I'd use what I have instead of buying a second bottle of alcohol, scent and dye. seems to burn the same way, so I'm pretty sure it's working. :lol:

I've seen a couple examples of this kind of thing in the wet-shaving world already, but I'd like to hear from you guys if you've got anything out-of-the-box in your shave kit that would seem misplaced to an outsider.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Lots of products can, and are, used as aftershaves, including, but not limited to: Sea Breeze, hair tonic, cologne, plain witch hazel, raw coco butter, shea butter, face lotion, and any number of home-made alcohol mixtures.

I've made a razor and brush stand out of a Lego-like toy I had as a youngling, which absolutely works.

Sometimes if it's been a 'dry' day, I'll use nothing but Vaseline Men on my face after a shave. It's wonderful stuff.
$US-VSLM-20p3oz-Men-FastAbsorb_tcm2858-777589.png

Banana Boat Aloe Vera gel. It is instant relief for razorburn. If I get razorburn, I'll finish with the gel after my witch hazel splash.

Aspirin. Grind up a pill, add a couple drops of water for a paste. Helps to calm inflammation/razor bumps. I heard it's decent for acne too.

Not a shaving product but the British Army are very keen on Avon Skin So Soft body lotion! It is the best mozzie repellent they can get!

Gareth

I've made a razor and brush stand out of a Lego-like toy I had as a youngling, which absolutely works.
I like this idea. It would make a great stand for travel. Put together once you reach your destination and take it apart when you're ready to go. Disassembled it wouldn't it would be easier to pack.

This works well, but just FYI, you cannot get Aspirin to dissolve or go into solution with anything; I've tried. All you can do is grind it up into a grit and then use a little balm or moisturizer or oil to help apply, but it stays a grit on your face. If someone micro-ground it and put it in a paste in a balm, that would be a good product.

Aspirin. Grind up a pill, add a couple drops of water for a paste. Helps to calm inflammation/razor bumps. I heard it's decent for acne too.

The bits of grit left behind are the fillers used to bind the aspirin. If you grind up a bunch of pills then add water to dissolve the actual aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) then filter out the fillers (carnauba wax, corn starch, hypromellose, powdered cellulose, triacetin) through a coffee filter. Keep the juice for your face, toss out the filter and gunk.

One of the things I like the most about B&B is that obscure, late baby-boomer cultural references are often understood here.

Elsewhere... well, like Steve Martin used to say, "it's like making Ike jokes!"

One of the things I like the most about B&B is that obscure, late baby-boomer cultural references are often understood here.

Elsewhere... well, like Steve Martin used to say, "it's like making Ike jokes!"

Whereas my girls would say: "Who's Steve Martin?" ........

I despair sometimes....... I really do ...... :laugh:

Does anyone use normal soaps as shave soaps? I've read people touting Ivory bar soap as a shaving soap and others balking at the thought. Is it all personal preference?

Canned shaving cream is great for shampooing the carpet and upholstery in your vehicle. Makes it smell nice and clean afterwards also!

Does anyone use normal soaps as shave soaps? I've read people touting Ivory bar soap as a shaving soap and others balking at the thought. Is it all personal preference?

Everything about this hobby is a matter of personal preference. But with specific regards to your point, I use Cashmere Bouquet for face-lathering. Works as well as Arko, is even cheaper, easier to apply, and actually smells good.

Top Bottom