What's new

Products Made in USA: Post 'em up!

The recent thread on the loss of USA made goods and manufacturing got me thinking about the things I own that are made in the country I live in. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with products made in other countries--I consider my French-made Joris razor to be the finest piece of shaving gear I own--but there is a bit of pride in owning domestic goods. I feel a bit of nationalistic pride owning something made in the USA, and I'm sure those of you that reside in other countries feel the same. I have a few products that I am absolutely in love with that just happen to have domestic origins, so I thought I would post them up.

Allow me to introduce: the Best American Duffel, or BAD bag.

I was introduced to this bag about 15 years ago when I needed a durable duffel for a week long trip. I scoured the sporting goods stores but could not find anything that looked like it would hold up. I just happened to be looking through Outside magazine and saw a tiny ad for the BAD bag at the back. I called the number (this was before the Internet) and spoke with Malcolm, the owner. We talked a little about what I was looking for and he suggested a bag that was perfect for my needs. I had the bag for 15 years and after all that time the bag looked as good as new. Since then I have purchased a few more--and they even make a shaving kit bag now that I'm going to have to get.

proxy.php

If you have a USA made quality product (other than shave gear) that you absolutely love, please post it up. I will ask two things should you choose to participate: One, that you post a picture, and two, that commentary be left to what you like about the item, it's history, usefulness, etc. Absolutely no politics, criticism, or whining. Sorry, but had to say it.

2 that i use regularly:

amazon kindle

proxy.php

outstanding ergonomics. smokes the sony competitor.

knob creek

proxy.php

i've tried many scotch whiskies and it's always the same story for me, the smell promises something, the taste doesn't quite deliver it. kentucky bourbons (in this class, not entry level) deliver exactly what i have been expecting in scotch. a friend of mine, who know these things better explained that one has to pay considerably more for the equivalent.

v.

Last edited:
Just to clarify because this thread is about made in usa products.

Twenty-five percent of New Balance shoes sold in North America are produced by our US workforce, using US and imported materials. When possible, we obtain materials from domestic suppliers. At times, due to availability, economic or quality reasons, there is a need to import components from foreign sources. Where the domestic value is at least 70%, we have labeled the shoe "Made in the USA."
http://www.newbalance.com/usa/

I would like to tell you about Maze Nails. I used their nails for all the work on my house. Recently I used their Stormguard nails to put up all the siding and exterior trim on my house.
proxy.php

They are American made at their plant in Peru, Illinois. Their product has a great reputation and record of performance. Maze Nails is a green company and makes a green product.
http://www.mazenails.com/pdf/LEED_BROCHURE.pdf

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Kindle is actually manufactured in China... sorry...

dear god, what was i thinking? OK, i'm going to swap that entry with one of the few things america still makes:

proxy.php

a derivative-based, complex financial "instrument" by goldman sachs

v.

chaps, i think the rules state no shaving products.

"If you have a USA made quality product (other than shave gear)"

v.

Top Bottom