What's new

Products For Long Haired Dudes

I haven't had a haircut in close to three years, and my hair is around 14" long all the way around. I like it most of the time, but it's definitely prone to frizzing out in the hotter, humid months. I shampoo and condition once a week, and I don't use product at all.

I'm wondering if there is something very light though that I can use to tame the frizz. I have to stress the importance of "light," because I don't want a heavy, greasy product sitting in my hair for an entire week between shampooing.

Any input is appreciated!

I got chu.

You want an oil mist or spray. Sometimes you’ll see it called a ‘dry oil’ mist or spray.

The vitamin B version from Organix OGX is fantastic, but there are a hundred other ones out there. Just google or check your local stores or salons or wherever you like to go.

Do you rinse your hair in the shower on days you are not shampooing? A lot of leave in conditioners rinse out. Anti frizz mists would be the lightest. Maybe Redkin Frizz Dismiss.

Thanks guys. I was not familiar with oil mists/sprays. I'll look into those.

I do not rinse in between washings. And my hair continues to improve in feel and appearance all the way up until the end of the week when I wash again. I've tried to push it farther than a week but it does eventually start to get noticeably oily.

Your hair will split on the ends naturally over time. Getting a haircut gets rid of that for most people. You could trim a small amount, say 1/16" to 1/8" evenly over your entire head with hair shears. Other than that, try a rinse of vinegar and water a few times a week during your shower. Try 2 tablespoons vinegar per cup of water to start, adjust more or less.

Also, be sure to brush your hair out every day. Use a natural boar bristle hairbrush.

Thanks guys. I was not familiar with oil mists/sprays. I'll look into those.

I do not rinse in between washings. And my hair continues to improve in feel and appearance all the way up until the end of the week when I wash again. I've tried to push it farther than a week but it does eventually start to get noticeably oily.

The oil mists are game changers for getting those flyaways to cooperate and making your hair look less ‘boofy’. And trust me (if you get a good one like OGX) they are really light! Really won’t weigh your hair down and make it greasy and manky.

Plain clear aloe is a great option. It's cheap, available everywhere, and works a charm. When you first apply it may feel similar to a hair gel but your hair absorbs it quickly and it will dry back out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm normally a "no shampoo" bloke, and tend to just use water or tea rinses. Occasionally though, like yesterday (maybe twice a year), I will use a little clarifying shampoo, to get it back to a base condition and drive out any lingering detritus that the rinses have failed to shift

I still refuse to use conditioner though. Instead, I use beard oil. It's perfect for defrizzing, without weighing the hair down, or gunking up scalp pores with silicones. Commercial hair products often caused me scalp problems.

I put the hair in a ponytail at the front, like a unicorn horn. I then put a couple of pumps of beard oil in my hand, rub the palms together, then start working it into the hair that's hanging down the front. Essentially, repeatedly using the palms like a straightening iron.

When it's worked in as much as I can, I remove the hair tie, and brush it back with a wood bristle brush (Kent woodyhog). Voila, defrizzed without being clumpy, sticky or greasy.

Moroccanoil treatment.
I have hair down to my waist and use this product. I doesn't leave your hair oily or greasy. Amazon.
After washing, towel dry hair. I divide my hair and add a couple drops to my hand, rub together and apply to that last 3/4 of damp hair on each side.
Read up on it or check YouTube.

Top Bottom