What's new

Product country of origin in purchasing decisions

I'm wondering how many of us consider the country of origin when we decide whether to purchase a product. For example (and this is a tongue in cheek example, please do not take offense), if we chose not to buy a perfeclty good DE blade manufactured in Canada because they're already exporting Caillou and Celine Dion.

I'm a little wary of anything made in China. But if a product had good reviews here I'd have no problem with buying from anywhere.

I would like to say british only, but nothing much is made here anyway:lol:china i am a bit dubious about:w00t:

I'm wondering how many of us consider the country of origin when we decide whether to purchase a product. For example (and this is a tongue in cheek example, please do not take offense), if we chose not to buy a perfeclty good DE blade manufactured in Canada because they're already exporting Caillou and Celine Dion.

As a Canadian I would like to apologize to the entire world for subjecting you to both Caullou and Celine Dion. We just could not suffer alone.

As for shaving gear, I just choose whatever is best for me. For consumables this means mostly Europe with some Old Spice from India.

As a Canadian I would like to apologize to the entire world for subjecting you to both Caullou and Celine Dion. We just could not suffer alone.

OK. That made me laugh out loud.

+1. It wasn't so much that we exported as that we expelled them in self-defense. We did make up for it with Peter Jennings and Pam Anderson, right?

Personally, I work in international logistics, so I the further away something comes from, the happier I am :lol:

Nothing wrong with Caillou! My kids love his DVDs. I don't care about country of origin I just like to buy quality products. Different countries are better at making different things.

I'm a little wary of anything made in China. But if a product had good reviews here I'd have no problem with buying from anywhere.

I don't buy any food product, cosmetic product or pet product made in China. When possible, I try to avoid them for anything else that I can.

i try to buy american when i can also
i think every man from every country feels that way about their stuff though

Frankly the whole wet shaving thing has caused me to look at my own prejudices regarding country of origin. A few of the products I've come to really like were produced in countries that I assumed would not make quality goods.

I would like to say british only, but nothing much is made here anyway:lol:china i am a bit dubious about:w00t:

I don't buy any food product, cosmetic product or pet product made in China. When possible, I try to avoid them for anything else that I can.

Unfortunately, most (if not all) badger hair used in brushes is sourced from China.

I don't care about country of origin I just like to buy quality products. Different countries are better at making different things.

+1 I'm with Angus on this, although I also factor in cost, whilst I'd like to have the "best" my budget can be fairly restricted...I very rarely actually look at the country of origin on anything except food...and that's more from a concern over freshness, rather than "air miles" :001_smile Sometimes it's a false economy, as you end up having to replace the item sooner, but I can't always wait to save up for the premium item I'm after :blushing:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I will buy a product that is good, no matter where it comes from.
People may be wary of Chinese or Indian products but that is because of quality control issues, not because they are incapable of making good products.

I give you Godrej and Gillette Razor Blades as an example of outstanding products from India.

China makes the Haier brand LCD TV which is a great unit.

And China makes the best Melamine laced Baby Formula and Lead Painted toys in the world.

Last edited:
I have a razor made in Germany, a bowl made in brazil, shaving cream from england, pre shave from italy, razors from all over the world. and I'm trying to get a brush made out of kauri wood by an austrian friend living in New Zealand.

and I do have an aristocrat from the US but I'm not 100% sold on it just yet.

I was delivering horseradish roots to a place in SO Cal, they make mustard and other condiments. There was a big sign in their warehouse stating "ACCEPT NO INGREDIENTS FROM CHINA"

Haven't thought about it much in the few months that I've been wet shaving. It seems that most of the good stuff comes from overseas. The only American made stuff in my shave den are the Williams and VDH soaps, and some brushless creams. My Merkur razor, Proraso cream, Trumper's Coconut soap, T&H sample creams, other GFT sample creams and colognes, C&E Sandalwood soap, Maca Root cream and all of my blades are from overseas.

Any products we should be avoiding (child labor or some other reason)?

Last edited:

I would buy a lifetime supply of a Canadian blade should they agree to keep Celine Dion! :biggrin1:

As for shaving gear, I just choose whatever is best for me. For consumables this means mostly Europe with some Old Spice from India.

It's not your fault. I blame America for letting her sell so many records.

And adding to the list of reasons to never visit Vegas.

We apologise for the Crocodile Hunter (RIP). No one is Australia is really like that. He wife is American. That probably explains a lot.

I have nothing from the States in my cabinet BTW. I really believe this purely coincidental Does Tabac AS count though? I got it via the US.

Top Bottom