What's new

Product country of origin in purchasing decisions

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As a Canadian I would like to apologize to the entire world for subjecting you to both Caullou and Celine Dion. We just could not suffer alone.
Quite all right. It's perfectly easy not to listen to Celine Dion. As for Caullou, Wikipedia asks if I meant Caillou. If so, I had never heard of it before.

As for shaving gear, I just choose whatever is best for me. For consumables this means mostly Europe with some Old Spice from India.

I look for products that are good quality but still economical. I've gotten decent quality items from China (injector blades) Russia (DE blades) India (Trac II compatible handle) Egypt (Lord DE razor), Italy (Proraso cream) and the USA (Williams Soap, VdH, Col Conk's). I don't buy expensive imported stuff just for the snob appeal, but I'll try anything that looks to be worth trying.

China is THE QUALITY CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.....:w00t:

I like razor blades from pretty much all continents.
Derby's made in Occupied Constantinople, Personna made in Occupied Palestine, Personna made in the USA, Gillette Green made in Leningrad
I like vintage Gillette razors.....So I am global.
Wp

I try to buy Australian asa much as I can. I avoid food products from China, even if it means paying double for a local product.

Personna made in the USA

I'm not sure where Personna are manufactured, but it looks like their corporate headquarters is in Cedar Knolls, NJ, also known as occupied Munsee or Unalachtigo territory.

I will not buy any products from China. While this decision is primarily political, anyone who purchases food or personal care products (e.g., toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.) is also rolling the dice with their health.

Support those countries that support freedom and liberty!

Good luck trying to avoid chinese products. I don't know about the US, but you can't buy a pair of sock, jocks or any item of clothing or housewares here without it being from china.

Besides, both the US and Aus as well as other rich nations have been lining up to trade and get Western business going all over China. Individually you may take a stance, but the governments are already spending up big for all of us.

As for zero manufacturing industry, all we have is holes in the ground. We dig up our country and ship it to China and it comes back as Audio and Video products.

It's all very well being prepared to pay a premium for local products, until you don't have a premium to spend.

Caillou is Canadian?

I didn't know that...

I didn't know that either, it comes on TV in Germany in German, my kid loves that show!

No, Country of origin doesn't really matter to me, as long as it is quality that is. Since I live in Germany and we have alot of Shaving supplies made here and most of the stores carry stuff from Italy, Spain, and England and I order the US stuff online.

Shawn

I guess I'm not too picky about the country of Origin of my shaving stuff.

Britain (RSC, TOBS, Ingrams)
Germany / Austria (Tabac, Alt Innsbruck, Speick soap and AS, Palmolive soap and cream, Merkur blades, Wilkinson Sword blades)
Jordan (Erasmic cream)
India (Parker 89 and brush, Gillette 7 O'Clocks blades)
Pakistan (Treet blades)
Japan (Feather blades)
Russia (Cigare AS, Kremlin AS, Fatherland AS, Astra blades)
Turkey (Arko shave stick, Derby blades)
Egypt (Lord blades)
USA (numerous Gillette DE's)

The only country I have my reservations about is FRANCE. It's taken as read that Brits and French don't see eye to eye. So I usually boycot French products. Unfortunately for me I seem to have the following ....

Bloc Osma, french manufactured NOS Gillette Super Silver Blades (U/1974) and a bowl of L'Occitane Cade soap. Ooooppppssss ........... :blushing:

I don't think the isolationist mentality is appropriate in the modern world, "buy American" (or British, etc) is really a sentiment that stopped making sense decades ago with the globalisation of the economy. Your economy is too bound up with everybody else's to benefit and buying an American built car, for example, doesn't do any great favour to the US economy if the manufacturing company is owned by Japanese investors.

However I personally don't buy products from Israel unless there is no substitute from elsewhere - not buying one particular country's products can make sense politically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom