What's new

Product country of origin in purchasing decisions

I won't buy anything from a certain Middle Eastern country, but that's a political/ethical/humanitarian issue that has nothing to do with the quality of the products.

It's not your fault. I blame America for letting her sell so many records.

And adding to the list of reasons to never visit Vegas.

We apologise for the Crocodile Hunter (RIP). No one is Australia is really like that. He wife is American. That probably explains a lot.

I have nothing from the States in my cabinet BTW. I really believe this purely coincidental Does Tabac AS count though? I got it via the US.

Nope. Tabac is made in Germany. But I got my Tabac shaving soap via USA also. :tongue_sm
My shaving creams are from Portugal, and also my brushes (Semogue's). They are excellent and easy to find here, as I am from Portugal also.

My DE's are a Gillette Tech and a Mühle R89, both from Germany.
My shaving soaps are german (Tabac), english (MWF) and french (IK and CADE).
Blades? Japanese Feathers, Personnas from Israel and Derby Extra from wherever-they-are-made (Turkey?).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Caillou is Canadian?

I didn't know that...

I always try to buy local. For shaving goods, it's a bit more difficult but I use the local products when I can or at least buy at local shops.

I get all my fruit/veggies/meat as close as possible from my home. Same for wine.

Caillou is Canadian?

I didn't know that...

I always try to buy local. For shaving goods, it's a bit more difficult but I use the local products when I can or at least buy at local shops.

I get all my fruit/veggies/meat as close as possible from my home. Same for wine.

I try to do the same. Usually I buy on local shops.
About my shaving gear, although they are made in different countries, I have managed to buy all the stuff in portuguese shops.
The only exception is Tabac shaving soap, that one came from USA. Oh, and my Gillette Tech came from ebay, from a German seller.

Last edited:
I will not buy any products from China. While this decision is primarily political, anyone who purchases food or personal care products (e.g., toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.) is also rolling the dice with their health.

Support those countries that support freedom and liberty!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I will not buy any products from China. While this decision is primarily political, anyone who purchases food or personal care products (e.g., toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.) is also rolling the dice with their health.

What kind of brush are you using, Synthetic, Horse, Boar or Badger?

Most of the hair for badger knots, regardless of where they are assembled, comes from China.

The Chinese government is not the Chinese people. Boycotts hurt the poorest, not those in political power.

The Chinese government is not the Chinese people. Boycotts hurt the poorest, not those in political power.
Products made in China are primarily imported into the US by American companies, the same companies that put your neighbors out of work so that Americans could buy cheap products. A large part of the US Gross Domestic Product does not actually represent products made in the US but the mark-up on products from China. For example, if a product is made by an American company in China for 10 cents and sold in the US for $1 (a typical mark-up), the 90-cent difference is actually counted as US GDP. This is why we are having a "jobless recovery". The real villains here are the US companies that have moved production (and jobs) to China. I think that supporting your neighbors' jobs is not "anti" anybody but just good for the social fabric. People should buy locally to support their neighbors wherever they are.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm wondering how many of us consider the country of origin when we decide whether to purchase a product. For example (and this is a tongue in cheek example, please do not take offense), if we chose not to buy a perfeclty good DE blade manufactured in Canada because they're already exporting Caillou and Celine Dion.

Poutine. Don't forget poutine.

I'm wondering how many of us consider the country of origin when we decide whether to purchase a product. For example (and this is a tongue in cheek example, please do not take offense), if we chose not to buy a perfeclty good DE blade manufactured in Canada because they're already exporting Caillou and Celine Dion.

As a Canadian I would like to apologize to the entire world for subjecting you to both Caullou and Celine Dion. We just could not suffer alone.

As for shaving gear, I just choose whatever is best for me. For consumables this means mostly Europe with some Old Spice from India.

I think that Gordie Howe more than makes up for it.

I would buy a lifetime supply of a Canadian blade should they agree to keep Celine Dion! :biggrin1:

I can't believe you Canadians overlooked some of your finest exports: Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, The Guess Who, BTO, Robbie Robertson-all fantastic musicians, who may :biggrin1:make up for the sonic damage caused by Celine Dione.

I can't believe you Canadians overlooked some of your finest exports: Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, The Guess Who, BTO, Robbie Robertson-all fantastic musicians, who may make up for the sonic damage caused by Celine Dione.

I don't want to repeat myself, but the world at large is still stuck with Nickelback.

What kind of brush are you using, Synthetic, Horse, Boar or Badger? Most of the hair for badger knots, regardless of where they are assembled, comes from China.

Yup. I'm aware of that. I have one badger brush; a Tweezerman which was my starter brush before I knew better. All others are boar.

Actually, you are making matters worse by financing a totalitarian government and empowering them to be even more oppressive. Due to their government structure, the Chinese people get only what the Chinese government dolls out to them. Just like Cuba. While there is little I would enjoy more than to watch a Cuban baseball game in-person while enjoying a a local cigar and beer, I would only be contributing to the government that keeps its people oppressed.

Once it hits the Chinese, Cuban or N. Korean people hard enough, then and only then will they take matters into their own hands, throw the !@#$%&* Commies out, and institute a better form of government and more open markets. Just like our forefathers did in 1776.

I will now relinquish my soapbox.

As we no longer have a manufacturing industry in this country, I don't suppose it matters.

Don't know about that, I'm sitting in a factory in the USA right now. And it's more complicated then seems, we sell quite a bit of our tiny little pieces of tat to foreign countries so they can build bigger things.

So when folks say "Don't buy from _____ country", I find a certain tension in my head building.

I would say and agree to the statement that the USA is losing it's manufacturing dominance. For sure.

-jim

Top Bottom