What's new

Product choice and the white ring?

My brush hygiene is pretty good. After each use (natural hair brushes), I rinse the knot under running warm water for a couple of minutes and then under running cool water for another couple of minutes. Each brush gets close to 48 hours to dry between uses. Despite this, I'm noticing the proverbial white ring forming every two weeks on my 2-brush rotation. It's easy enough to mitigate with a mild dish soap lather but I've never had this happen to me before.

Does this mean that my cream (Palmolive Classic) is more prone to leaving residue? I don't remember my previous creams doing this in so short a time. Three or so months between white rings was what I remember.

Last edited:
I stopped using Proraso soap 5yrs ago because it left a white residue on everything it came in contact with!!
It's not as bad as Proraso. Proraso left a powdery film on everything but it wiped off easily. This one tends to cling at the very base of the knot.

It could be that remnants of adhesive give the residue spots to cling to.

Before we downsized to an apartment 1.5 years ago, I lived in a house with well water and wet shaved for 11+ years. Although I rotate a number of brushes, I would clean them with Dawn, then rinse in diluted vinegar, at least once or twice a year. I guess the apt has softer water, because haven't found the need to clean them since we moved.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A high quality soap or cream does not leave much residue, IOW they rinse clean. If you use ‘clean’ soaps and creams, the problem is much less.

Just a brief update. The residue is clinging to glue traces along the area where the handle meets the knot. The hair itself is clean and the products I use appear to rinse well otherwise.

Top Bottom