What's new

Proctor and Gamble has purchased Art of Shaving

P&G and Art of Shaving are not strangers to each other. In 2007, the two formed a partnership whereby Art of Shaving began selling $150 Chrome Fusion razors, a high-end version of Gillette’s Fusion razor, which launched in 2005. The price, while high, didn’t deter shoppers, and Chrome Fusion became The Art of Shaving’s best-selling stockkeeping unit in 2008, said Malka.

Bergh said he first happened upon The Art of Shaving brand when he saw Malka on TV praising Fusion shortly after its launch.

“It blew me away the way the media was trying to figure out whether Fusion was a fad or a gimmick. They went to Eric” to see what the expert in shaving thought about Fusion, who praised its technology in a variety of interviews.

“I said, ‘We should go see this guy and see if we could work together,’” Bergh said.

sounds to me like the owner is all about the benjamins. Great business move, ****ty for all the customers that paved the way for him.

I think it's P&G making some extra bank off of a more upscale niche market. I wouldn't bet money on seeing AOS products in Wal-Mart anytime soon.

Being the eternal optimist, I assume that this means that the product will remain identical, but economies of scale will allow the price to be cut in half.

:001_smile

I can't say that I've ever tried their products. When I first started DE shaving about 2 years ago, I looked at their brushes and such and was very impressed. But the more time I spent looking at their stuff, the more I thought "Why do they hawk fancy handles for sh*tty razors?" I didn't know ANYTHING about wet shaving then, other than I was DONE with my Gillette crap, and any "high end" shop that sold upgraded crap was not for me. I suppose that I should give their soaps and such a spin, since so many fellas seem to like it, but I was pretty much put off from the get go.

+1 I had bad customer service the first time I went into the local store, it turned me off, never been back, that was like 4 months ago.

I can't say I'm all that surprised. There were signs of AoS's slide even before the Fusion atrocities. Back when I first started taking an interest in them, nearly any store that sold a good selection of AoS products carried both shaving creams and soaps, and aftershave balms and gels, in all four scent options. After a while, it got so you could only find creams and balms; soaps and gels had to be special ordered, or purchased via the company website. Some of the more interesting products, like their rose water hydrosol, became all but impossible to find, as well. Even before the Fusions, AoS had custom made Mach3 heads - not just handles - on offer. Many of us always knew that AoS wasn't about a renaissance of old-school shaving ideals so much as the upscale marketing of old-school cachet to those with a lot of money and little knowledge, even if some of their products were very good. The changes in the later Malka "era" only strengthened that view; this buyout proves it. Eric Malka was always a marketer. It isn't surprising he sold out. But then, who among us wouldn't, if we were offered millions and could then retire to an Island somewhere in the Pacific?

I would like to think P&G bought AoS because they think it's a good company and know not to fix what isn't broken. I won't be betting on that, though. Any time a good company is taken over by a corporate giant, we start seeing the manifestations of corporate groupthink in the brand's offerings. Once Crest took over Glide floss (originally produced by Gore Industries, the makers of Gore-Tex), we got all kinds of different flosses, each one touted as doing a better job than the one before it. When Philips took over Sonicare, they started introducing new models every other year; the latest deal is brush heads with "indicator" bristles that fade to white when it's time to replace the head. (Gee, I wonder where they got that idea - cough, Gillette indicator strip, cough.) No, corporations have one way of thinking - customers are brainless lemmings that need to be told what to do, think and like, and will do just that if persuaded properly. The sad thing is, in many cases, they're right. Those of us who populate forums like this one are the exception, not the rule.

:confused: Not sure anyone's questioning the fact that AOS made a sound financial decision. Since this is a shaving forum there are naturally folks here that enjoy AOS products and are concerned about the quality of said products moving forward. "Bitching" is a harsh way to describe the conversation in this thread.

i think bitching is the correct way to describe. you're the customer not on the BoD. i'm completely unconcerned and i like the art of shaving stuff. there's tons of other things out there though.

Last edited:
i think bitching is the correct way to describe. you're the customer not on the BoD. i'm completely unconcerned and i like the art of shaving stuff. there's tons of other thigns out there though.

There plenty now, but if this trend continues.....:eek:

you're the customer not on the BoD.

True...

there's tons of other things out there though.

Again, true...

How this relates to the concerns of happy AoS customers concerned about the future of the brand isn't clear.

There's a very good chance AoS products will become crap. This is what generally happens when multinationals take over small companies. These are the people that gave us the Gillette Phantom Menace Fusion Vibro Dyna Shave.

AoS fans are entitled to '*****', though they're certainly not in this thread.

True...

Again, true...

How this relates to the concerns of happy AoS customers concerned about the future of the brand isn't clear.

There's a very good chance AoS products will become crap. This is what generally happens when multinationals take over small companies. These are the people that gave us the Gillette Phantom Menace Fusion Vibro Dyna Shave.

AoS fans are entitled to '*****', though they're certainly not in this thread.

Being a bit pessimistic aren't we? To assume anything at this point is pointless if you want my opinion, especially to assume that P&G are going to essentially destroy the AoS line. Not every acquisition they make is going to ruin shaving as we know it. Remember Gillette made the choice to part with the double edge safety razor and go with the multiblade cartridge long before P&G came into the picture. Let's give this a few months before we start drawing any conclusion.

Being a bit pessimistic aren't we? To assume anything at this point is pointless if you want my opinion, especially to assume that P&G are going to essentially destroy the AoS line. Not every acquisition they make is going to ruin shaving as we know it. Remember Gillette made the choice to part with the double edge safety razor and go with the multiblade cartridge long before P&G came into the picture. Let's give this a few months before we start drawing any conclusion.

thank you.

they haven't even done anything yet. give it 6 months, a year and then see where they are.

I didn't realize they carried DE's, straights, or blades. I visited the one in Lenox Mall (Atlanta) a few months ago and all hardware was geared towards cartridges. Maybe I just overlooked it.

I'm curious to see if AOS will update the "expert advice" portion of their website. They criticize canned goo a couple of times and they say that "Drugstore-bought handles are feather-light and poorly balanced." The whole thing is somewhat bizarre to me. Seems to me like Gillette would want to keep cartridge users as far away from traditional shaving practices as possible. What if the guy that spent $275 on a Fusion handle, pure badger brush, and stand realizes what he could have gotten for that amount of money? Seems like their customers will be one click away from realizing what else is out there (DE's, straights, better brushes,...etc) but...I guess when it comes to shaving hardware...YMMV..to each his own....etc.
I'm sure that the marketing experts can prevent this from becoming a gateway drug.

Also, don't forget that gillette is in the buisness of selling blades. Somebody who has invested money into a metal handle has no choice but keep on purchasing cartridges, or see their "investment" sit idle in the medicine cabinet. Not a bad deal for gillette.

Or just get rid of shaving soap altogether. Get ready for AoS foamy and gel at the drugstore!

Again why speculate? We'll see the fallout from this in the coming months not weeks. Besides, this acquisition could have the opposite effect. We could see the return of shaving soaps to the supermarkets and drugstores. Then again maybe not.

All I have to say is this is quite a pessimistic bunch for a group of shavers that's constantly looking for brick and mortar stores selling quality shaving goods in their area. If this might expand the availability of AoS products, why isn't this a good thing?

For heaven’s sake people! Anyone would think that this was the end of the world as we know it. Do you folks walk around with sandwich boards and placards of a Saturday? Look, this is going to happen more and more and I’m afraid it’s partly (Well actually quite significantly) our fault. You see up until recently wet-shaving and all that went with it was a dying market. Then along came the Wet Shave revolution with all us Nay Sayers who wanted to dump the expensive cartridges and disappointing goo and go with this wonderfully satisfying world of badger hair brushes, chromed razors, fancy soaps etc. We became quite vocal and set up a web forum and now that forum represents 15,000+ members. You can pretty well be sure that that number is but a few percentage points of the real market size. More importantly from P&G’s point of view is the number of on-line retailers that have appeared around the world servicing this growing market. Why then is it so surprising to you all that P&G want a piece of the action? As many have mentioned ad nauseum, P&G is getting diminishing returns from each successive cartridge launch so they will be looking at how they can diversify their business lines to cover new markets. This appears to be one step in that type of strategy.

One could look at it in several ways but I suspect what will happen is that we will now see wet shave products appearing as mainstream products along side the canned goos and cartridges. They will be marketed at the higher end of the food chain and will give P&G alternative marketing options other than “more blades, faster shaves etc.”. We will probably see a “sister” brand appear – think Lexus to Toyota. The niche producers will continue to exist as will most of the on-line retailers, just as they do today. We will still be able to buy soaps and creams with exotic content and perfumes so long as we exist. What P&G’s move into this part of the market will do is simply widen it to the consumers who haven’t thought of buying anything else – the one’s we like to convert. In fact it is highly likely that this could be a very good thing for us all. If the marketing goes as I suspect it will then many more people will be awakened to the alternative shaving products and maybe even methods. That makes our world more sustainable and increases the likelihood of other brands emerging. I doubt that Gillette DE’s will re-emerge – although if I worked for P&G I would definitely be looking at that move as part of this strategy.

That raises an interesting question. How many of you would buy a brand new re-launched SuperSpeed if Gillette brought it back and sold them in Walmart?

Top Bottom