What's new

Processed Food

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That’s funny Aaron!!
I laughed cuz I do eat ketchup on most everything but not that.
When I did eat potted meat sammiches I would put miracle whip on them. Nothing on Vienna sausages.
Fishing with dad one time he made my brother and I promise not to tell mom what he was feeding us for dinner cuz it was what the rich people eat and very expensive. He told us we were having beef tips as he opened a couple cans of Vienna sausages for our dinner.
Funny!!

My roomate in college bought Vienna sausages by the case...yes by the case. Ketchup on top or they would be chopped up and go on top of hamburger helper....wait for it...wait for it....every single night.

I think I made myself sick.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That’s just a little too much. Now I’m really glad I didn’t go to college.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That’s just a little too much. Now I’m really glad I didn’t go to college.
One night I made dinner for him. It was breakfast tacos, with eggs, potato, Jimmy Dean sausage, cheddar cheese and Pace picante sauce all wrapped up in a flour tortilla. He'd never had one...really? I guess him being from Dallas it was too far from the South Texas or the border to ever get one. He thought it was divine....it was pretty good.
-circa 1983

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We ate a lot of those shrimp eggrolls from a box.

Talk about living the life of Riley!

For a while, my treat were Hot Pockets or the Pillsbury microwave pizza. Then, I lived in a building that had a Dairy Queen in the basement, so (when I was feeling particularly rich) I would go for the foot-long chili cheese dog. The dirt cheap ramen still was a staple.

Some say I look a little young for my age. If that's true, I attribute it to all the preservatives I ingested in my youth. Apparently, there's something to be said for pre-embalming.

Mind sharing the recipe? My wife and I do a keto diet and this could be a great addition.
Sure.

Low carb ketchup. [ dietdoctor.com ]

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ½ grated or finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1 pressed garlic clove
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp paprika powder
  • 1 tsp coriander seed
  • ½ tsp cloves
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 14 oz. canned whole tomatoes
Instructions
  1. Fry the onion, garlic and tomato paste in oil for a couple of minutes over medium heat in a nonstick saucepan. The onion should become soft and glossy, not browned.
  2. Add vinegar, bay leaves, spices and canned tomatoes. Stir and simmer for a couple of more minutes.
  3. Lower the heat and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
  4. Puree the ketchup with an immersion blender or blend in a mixer until smooth. Taste and adjust flavor, adding more salt, freshly ground black pepper or vinegar as needed.
  5. Depending on how thick you want your ketchup to be, you can let it simmer longer over low heat. Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks or freeze.
Tip!
Canned whole tomatoes have the best taste, especially San Marzano, but good-quality crushed or pureed tomatoes of any variety work well, too.

Sure.

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 pressed garlic clove
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp paprika powder
  • 1 tsp coriander seed
  • ½ tsp cloves
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Instructions
  1. Fry the onion, garlic and tomato paste in oil for a couple of minutes over medium heat in a nonstick saucepan. The onion should become soft and glossy, not browned.
  2. Add vinegar, bay leaves, spices and canned tomatoes. Stir and simmer for a couple of more minutes.
  3. Lower the heat and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
  4. Puree the ketchup with an immersion blender or blend in a mixer until smooth. Taste and adjust flavor, adding more salt, freshly ground black pepper or vinegar as needed.
  5. Depending on how thick you want your ketchup to be, you can let it simmer longer over low heat. Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks or freeze.
Tip!
Canned whole tomatoes have the best taste, especially San Marzano, but good-quality crushed or pureed tomatoes of any variety work well, too.
Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mind sharing the recipe? My wife and I do a keto diet and this could be a great addition.

A lot of ketchup has HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), which causes more damage to your brain, heart, liver, and other organs than plain ole sugar. I make my own: low carb ketchup.

1 carb in the ketchup, 2 in the BBQ sauce.
20200226_164833.jpg

I typically don’t eat processed, I try to make everything my self but fast food is an option in my household from time to time but I prefer home made tends to taste a lot better.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sure.

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 pressed garlic clove
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp paprika powder
  • 1 tsp coriander seed
  • ½ tsp cloves
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Instructions
Tip!

That sounds both good and easy!

Top Bottom