What's new

Problems with some British Gillette razors.

I have quite a few Gillette British TTO one piece "Made In England" Super Speed/Rocket razors. But I'm having problems with a couple of razors with the Brit Pat No. 430,030 ones. They are the razors with the flat bottom blade guard. The other razors I have are the flare tip style ones 694,093. Anyway, the British razors have different riveting to hold the handle onto the razor head assembly. Looking down on the top of the razor with the silo doors open, the U.S. razors have smooth riveting, but the British ones seem to have a crimped/notched rivet. There is usually about 4-6 notches/indented lines in the rivet, like a tongue and groove pattern. I noticed that a couple of the handles and the rivet turn slightly. It's like the rivet isn't firmly attached to the base plate and there is a bit of play. However when I close the silo doors and tighten down the TTO knob on the bottom, the handle doesn't turn. It only happens when the silo doors are open. This never happens to the U.S. razors. The rivets on those fit snug and never move. It's just some of the British razors that I own have this problem. Is this normal for these razors, do others have any of the razors that have the same problem?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This doesn't sound too bad if the doors close properly. Someone who had that problem might be able to help you out. Do you have any pictures?

I have an Aristocrat Junior that was actually in pieces when I got it, that has the same issues.

If I remember correctly, if you turn the bottom part of the handle to get an appropriate size 'gap' between the handle sections, then rotate the entire handle assembly, the handle should snug up to the blade assembly. Make sure there is enough travel in the handle sections to completely open and close the silo doors; adjust the handle gap and the handle rotation until it works correctly then snug everything up.

I hope this makes sense (not likely:confused:) It makes more sense if you try it. If memory serves, the lower part of the handle assembly screws in the opposite direction to the upper half of the assembly on the central bolt, which is attached to some part of the head assembly.

See what happens when you ask me a question after I've had a drink?

I have an Aristocrat Junior that was actually in pieces when I got it, that has the same issues.

If I remember correctly, if you turn the bottom part of the handle to get an appropriate size 'gap' between the handle sections, then rotate the entire handle assembly, the handle should snug up to the blade assembly. Make sure there is enough travel in the handle sections to completely open and close the silo doors; adjust the handle gap and the handle rotation until it works correctly then snug everything up.

I hope this makes sense (not likely:confused:) It makes more sense if you try it. If memory serves, the lower part of the handle assembly screws in the opposite direction to the upper half of the assembly on the central bolt, which is attached to some part of the head assembly.

See what happens when you ask me a question after I've had a drink?

Same thing with one of my Jr.s. I had did the same, but once you unscrew it again, it is loose. I also had the same problem with an HD and I wasn't able to even get that one to normal at all.

Because I had one that was in pieces.

After a good clean, I spent ages trying to figure out the best way to put it together - when I could do it, I added a drop of clear epoxy and screwed the doors tight until the head popped on - and there it remains.

Perhaps it is a problem with the light aluminium they are made from? I suspect it is Aluminium!

Mine is made of entirely of brass plated with chrome, there is no aluminum. Mine came apart in three pieces, the bottom TTO knob with it's attached screw/bolt, the main handle with the bottom head assembly/blade guard and finally the silo doors, hinges and the center post that is threaded that goes into the hole where the rivet is. I figured out that you have the screw the bottom knob in the opposite direction as the main handle. Like somebody else said, I got it all together and the razor head assembly is snug against the handle so it doesn't rotate, but as soon as I open the silo doors, the head assembly of the razor turns around and is loose on the handle. I have to turen the handle clockwise a bit before I lock down the TTO knob, then the handle is tight against the razor head again and it doesn't turn. But it's still not like the others I have were the rivet is tight regardless if the silo doors are open or not. My razor is the British Aristocrat Jr. Here is a picture of the razor I have below:

I have a Parat, 66, HD Rocket and Aristocrat Jr. The only one with that problem is the Aristocrat Jr. , when I got it I was able to completely disassemble it. I was able to put it together after considerable effort and time. It seems as if that crimping isn't tight enough to hold the head in place, probably one of those design flaws that were exposed after years of use. I guess you can look at it this way, how many items do we own that are 50+ years that we still use on a daily basis? I still think the Brits are some of classiest razors out there.

What you are describing is pretty common in my experience. I have found very few that are a snug fit. It really doesn't affect the razor's shaveability at all. Consider it normal.

Does it help if you adjust it so there is still a little gap between the parts of the handle when the doors are open? Once I did this, the problem with the head loosening when the doors were open went away.

May have just been mine, YMMV, etc.

BTW, the British Gillette Super Speed razors with the British Patent No. 694,093 don't seem to have this problem. I have several of these razors and the rivet is firmly in place and the head and handle don't budge at all.

+1 on this being a common problem with the aristocrat jnrs. Mines like that too, a loose crimp/punched join from the handle to the guard.
My HD rockets are fine however.

Top Bottom