What's new

Problems with Schick Repeating Razor

Just got this in the mail and if I can get it to work, that would be great. The description noted that they couldn't get the slide working, so I don't have an issue with the seller at all. As a display, it is great. Original shipper, with instructions and one tin of spare blades (missing the other). Beautiful machine work on the razor itself.

View attachment 107772

View attachment 107773

The "spring plug" does not come out. Any body got any experience with these very cool razors?

-jim

I have a couple of them. They are really nicely made compact razors. I'd love to use one as a travel razor.

Originally, you would buy a refill cartridge of blades to put in when you ran out.

I've never been able to get one to work either by trying to refill it with injector blades or by using just an injector cartridge.

If someone else has, I hope they can provide some detailed instructions as well.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Looks like you have the B Type based on the engraving - I have a C, so take this with a grain of salt. The instructions for mine state "NOTE: Blade plunger and loading plug cannot be pulled out at the same time - operate each separately"

You picture seems to show the Blade Plunger is already withdrawn, here's a scan of the instructions if it helps. And at least with this model I can load it up with modern injector blades and shave

The Type B mechanism is somewhat different from that of the Type C.

Jim, I had this very same problem with one of my Type Bs. You'll need a straightened paperclip. Please see my posts in this thread, specifically this post.

I hope it helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Looks like you have the B Type based on the engraving - I have a C, so take this with a grain of salt. The instructions for mine state "NOTE: Blade plunger and loading plug cannot be pulled out at the same time - operate each separately"

You picture seems to show the Blade Plunger is already withdrawn, here's a scan of the instructions if it helps. And at least with this model I can load it up with modern injector blades and shave

As a side note of chagrin, I recently bought a Type C off the 'bay, and made the mistake of opening both the blade plunger and removing the loading plug while cleaning the razor. Now I can't seem to get it back together again. The blade plunger won't fully insert into the razor, and there's a little cam that won't swing into place until that happens that is preventing me from re-inserting the loading plug. Anyone have a solution to this predicament? :blushing:

Last edited:
Excellent and great info! Thank you.

One more question: any suggestions/thoughts on lubricating the cartridge/plunger assembly? I know it's supposed to be tight, but mine feels kind of "rough" and doesn't slide smoothly - just like it could use some minor oiling.

As a side note of chagrin, I recently bought a Type C off the 'bay, and made the mistake of opening both the blade plunger and loading plug while cleaning the razor. Now I can't seem to get it back together again. Anyone have a solution to this predicament?

That happened to me, too. I just played around with it until I got it back together.

(And I just did it with my Type A and, after several days of playing around, can't figure out how it goes back together.)

Last edited:
Excellent and great info! Thank you.

One more question: any suggestions/thoughts on lubricating the cartridge/plunger assembly? I know it's supposed to be tight, but mine feels kind of "rough" and doesn't slide smoothly - just like it could use some minor oiling.

That happened to me, too. I just played around with it until I got it back together.

(And I just did it with my Type A and, after several days of playing around, can't figure out how it goes back together.)

Sorry, no experience with oiling these, but a light oiling should help.
With a Type A, there should be a tiny little screw that acts as a stop to prevent the plunger from being fully removed. Did you remove this?

There was no screw (just the screw-on cap on the end).

I have a spring and a blade cartridge. I don't see anything to indicate there was a screw - no hole, nothing showing wear as if a the end of a screw were pressed against it.

Edited to add:

I just figured it out. The slightly larger end of the blade cartridge had to go in the cylinder first - I kept thinking it went in the other way. Then I positioned the spring clip and everything slid in just fine.

And I see what you mean by "screw". It's there - but it's more like a post. Didn't try unscrewing it, so not sure. But it does act as a stop for pulling out the spring.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As a side note of chagrin, I recently bought a Type C off the 'bay, and made the mistake of opening both the blade plunger and removing the loading plug while cleaning the razor. Now I can't seem to get it back together again. The blade plunger won't fully insert into the razor, and there's a little cam that won't swing into place until that happens that is preventing me from re-inserting the loading plug. Anyone have a solution to this predicament? :blushing:

Does it have the blade "clip" - maybe removing that would allow you to get it back in?

The Type B mechanism is somewhat different from that of the Type C.

Jim, I had this same problem with one of my Type Bs. You'll need a paperclip. Please see my posts in this thread, specifically this post.

I hope it helps. Good luck!

YES!!!! Marc, You da MAN!!

One paper clip and 20 seconds of fiddling. Out came the spring and empty razor clip.

Now the problem is, as I fiddle with it, the spring keeps getting "stuck". I've had to paper clip it a few times now. I think I will push the spring back in again and just forget it.

Probably the reason this razor doesn't have any brassing and looks so new? The original owner went through the first set of blades and that was that! :lol:

Really gorgeous, but for pete's sake...

Thanks again Marc, those are really awesome step by step instructions.

-jim

Jim,
Glad to hear it worked for you!
I had this problem with my own near-mint B2. I think someone used the blades up and then never bothered to buy a new clip, and then the spring became stuck (perhaps the metal became less flexible over time?).

In my case, the B2 spring plug continued to get stuck, but it did get better and eventually stop sticking. I can't remember how I got it to that point.

I never use the clip to load blades in the Type B razors, though. As I recall, the semi-empty clip only contributed to the problem of the spring sticking.

Have you tried re-inserting the spring plug without having a blade clip inside?

With fiddling, you should be able to get a blade in it. Let us know how you like the shaves!

Top Bottom