What's new

Problem with the Nuavias

"From the photos it looks like the proportions are not right. Definitely there’s too much water. If you are sure you used the right weights then please try again with 4 grams of soap, but that is really too much. The soaps don’t go bad anyway"
Doesn't look like the vendor is going to give you any satisfaction which is very unfortunate. They should at least send you a sample to see if it lathers better. I know it's an expense, but at this point I would send the soap to them and let
them attempt a lather. You're in too deep to not get some type of final answer to this mystery.

Doesn't look like the vendor is going to give you any satisfaction which is very unfortunate. They should at least send you a sample to see if it lathers better. I know it's an expense, but at this point I would send the soap to them and let
them attempt a lather. You're in too deep to not get some type of final answer to this mystery.
They offered me a piece of a fresh batch but that does not give a solution to the problem. I declined it.

So sorry for your experience. Fwiw, I have the Nuavia Blu in the new 'glass' jar. I love it and it lathers well. I know this is not responsive to your issues with the soap you also love and the batch you have. I wanted to share my opinion just in case you want to take them up on the new batch offer.

So sorry for your experience. Fwiw, I have the Nuavia Blu in the new 'glass' jar. I love it and it lathers well. I know this is not responsive to your issues with the soap you also love and the batch you have. I wanted to share my opinion just in case you want to take them up on the new batch offer.

I wasn't offered new pucks in exchange to the older ones. They just wanted to send me a piece of a fresh batch to see that it works fine. I declined because that makes no sense. I know that the soap performs fine when fresh. The problem is elsewhere.

Yes Nick- if they stood behind their product they should replace your pucks, investigate your pucks to id the problem, communicate with you and the community quickly and cordially, and pay for all of the above.

T

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The "hand-squish" photos show lather than even I wouldn't be happy with (and that's saying something!)

There's not only a disappointment, but also a futility with hanging your hopes, dreams and expectations on a product that takes so much time & money to procure. I'm not a slave to brand names. Performance is my measure of acceptability. I prefer soaps and shave items I can purchase locally, or at least within the US.
To argue with a seller about the degraded performance of a product may be a feelgood for you, but it won't solve anything. To walk away and find something better is a more realistic and satisfying solution. It's like the girlfriend who doesn't appreciate you - kick her to the curb and find one better.
While you're searching for something better, try this: Get a cheap can of Generic shave gel and whip up some in a bowl. You'll find no denser or slicker soap at any price. In your search for your new soap, find something that measures up to the cheap can of gel. It may not be as easy as you wish.
Offended at the prospect of using something "cheap"? Performance over price is something only you can reconcile with yourself.

There's not only a disappointment, but also a futility with hanging your hopes, dreams and expectations on a product that takes so much time & money to procure. I'm not a slave to brand names. Performance is my measure of acceptability. I prefer soaps and shave items I can purchase locally, or at least within the US.
To argue with a seller about the degraded performance of a product may be a feelgood for you, but it won't solve anything. To walk away and find something better is a more realistic and satisfying solution. It's like the girlfriend who doesn't appreciate you - kick her to the curb and find one better.
While you're searching for something better, try this: Get a cheap can of Generic shave gel and whip up some in a bowl. You'll find no denser or slicker soap at any price. In your search for your new soap, find something that measures up to the cheap can of gel. It may not be as easy as you wish.
Offended at the prospect of using something "cheap"? Performance over price is something only you can reconcile with yourself.
I don't think the OP is hanging his hopes, dreams and expectations on a product anymore than he is arguing with the seller about the performance. I'm sure that others can articulate what I trying to say better than me, but the Op purchased a premium product and received something quite less. I'm sure that the OP is not crying over the money
spent, he just expects better in a lot of ways. Whether I buy a basic auto or a premium sports car for 130k certain
things are expected.

I don't think the OP is hanging his hopes, dreams and expectations on a product anymore than he is arguing with the seller about the performance. I'm sure that others can articulate what I trying to say better than me, but the Op purchased a premium product and received something quite less. I'm sure that the OP is not crying over the money
spent, he just expects better in a lot of ways. Whether I buy a basic auto or a premium sports car for 130k certain
things are expected.
My thoughts exactly. Thank you!

I got this gorgeous lather from a shaving cream I bought in 2013! It's the Proraso Green and cost me only 2.8 euros. I used it today and had an unexpectedly good shave.

proxy.php

Compare this lather to the one I got from a Nuavia.

They wanted me to follow a highly precise procedure with a scale and a syringe to measure the product and the water in order to get a creamy lather.

I got this amazing lather just by doing the simplest procedure.

This Proraso cream is much older than the Nuavias. Preservatives did their magic for one more time.

Proraso will still exist when all these artisans go out of business. Be sure about that.

But the mystery remains - what can happen to a soap in a year's time that degrades performance so dramatically? If the soap made stable, voluminous lather at first and then watery, weak lather at a later time, it means that chemically it has somehow ceased to become soap. For that to happen, some sort of acid would have to be introduced to reverse or partially reverse the saponification.

Give it one last try, this time using distilled or RO water.

I have some soaps that would give a fantastic lather using muddy water, while others that lather best with distilled or soft water.

Give it one last try, this time using distilled or RO water.

I have some soaps that would give a fantastic lather using muddy water, while others that lather best with distilled or soft water.

^^^ This. You perhaps shouldn't NEED distilled water for a premium soap, but I've yet to find a soap that doesn't lather well using it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The last few days I did my best to rehydrate these two by adding a few drops of water every now and then. They became somewhat softer to be honest.

When I started exchanging emails with Pannacrema, they said me the following (I'm sure they have no problem publishing it as it's just a recommended procedure, nothing more, nothing less):

"please try the following procedure:

1. pick up exactly 3 grams of soap with your finger or a teaspoon. This requires you to have a good scale.

2. put it in a bowl, please use a lathering bowl, if possible with a rough bottom.

2. add exactly 7 grams of warm water in two steps.

3. use your brush to semi-lather the soap. it will become creamy without many bubbles.

4. when all the water is incorporated, start to face lather on your wet skin."

Ok, fair enough. I know perfectly well how to lather a product but let's try this.

I tried it and it didn't work. I sent them some pictures and they said the following:

"From the photos it looks like the proportions are not right. Definitely there’s too much water. If you are sure you used the right weights then please try again with 4 grams of soap, but that is really too much. The soaps don’t go bad anyway"

You will see the whole procedure, step by step.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so why not posting tens of thousands of words.

The following photos were taken by me this evening, after softening the soaps. (Imagine how bad the lather was before softening them)

I'd say the missing ingredient from your attempts to rehydrate them is time. It took time to lose that water, and it will take time to take it back again. I'd be tempted to dig some out and put it in a sample pot with an airtight lid. Add maybe 25% as much water as there is soap, put the lid on, and leave it for at least a week. Adjust water quantity and time as needed for rehydrating the rest of the tub.

I think you just saved me a whole lotta money, Nicolas. I did just recently buy a couple of the last remaining pucks of
Valobra Fougere and Patchouly. That should last me for awhile until this Pannacrema mystery gets resolved...

Top Bottom