What's new

Problem with the Nuavias

First of all I'd like to say that I'm one of the biggest supporters of Pannacrema. I bought my first tub in 2014. I bought my first pair of Nuavias in September 2015 and made some of the first reviews online with lathering videos. Prior to them, there were only a few words about these soaps on forums, so I just "believed in" them and proceed to a purchase of two very expensive soaps. Until this day, I've tried pretty much all of their offerings. I was a very satisfied customer and paid for everything I got. No samples for free or anything similar. They were always helpful and answered each and every email I sent to them. They were not that many but just saying.

Last year, a close friend of mine made a purchase from an online European vendor, I can't remember who that vendor was, and asked me if I needed anything. I told him to buy me two Nuavias, a Blu and a Rossa, as a backup. I gave him the money of course when he received them. I tried them to be sure that nothing has changed and was using them regularly for some time.

A few days ago, I decided to shave again with them. I'm talking about my second pair that was bought in 2019. I have many products and don't use all of them. My rotation is really extensive. Some remain untouched for months. This was the case with this pair. Well, I noticed something really strange. For some reason, the soaps have gone much harder to the point that I can't press them with my fingers. This is a typical dehydration issue. A small parenthesis here. I take great care of my products, I leave them open after each use and put the lid on at least 24h later.

I sent an email with photos to Pannacrema and Marina was really kind to answer me within a few hours. A prompt reply is something I really appreciate. Marina offered some advices on how to properly lather the soap. I thought I'd follow them (exactly 3g of soap and 7ml of water), even though I know how to lather these. I've been using them since 2015. I'm not a newbie. It didn't work. Anyway, we exchanged 7-8 emails. I bet Marina still thinks that it's a user error, but believe me it's not. It's a mystery to them what happened with these. I was offered a piece of a fresh batch to test it, but kindly declined it. Shipping from Italy is not cheap and I see no reason to try a fresh batch, it gives me no solution to the problem I experience. I don't want free soap, I have plenty of soaps and creams to shave with and I'm not a cheap ***. I was also asked to send a small piece of each to examine them, but still waiting for a shipping address.

These soaps don't give anymore a dense, protective and creamy lather. The lather I get is full of small bubbles, it's what I call airy. Fully disappointed. I've tried almost everything to get a proper lather, like throwing lots of warm water to soften the surface, scooping some out, trying with different brushes and hair types etc., but nothing worked well. I get the same thin and airy lather. It's very strange. The soaps have become worthless within a few months. I had not used these for about 3 months and the storage conditions were great, along with my other products. Fortunately, my other soaps still perform like they used to, no changes.

Any ideas on how to save these (very expensive) soaps?

That is an interesting development, didn't they recently go to a less expensive packaging
like plastic instead of glass or something like that? Could it be a change to less expensive ingredients?
If you discover the gist of the issues please post.

My Nuavia Blu is a couple years old and is still soft, so this does seem strange.

If it were me, I'd probably take one of them and let it sit overnight with standing water on it just to see if the soap soaks it up and rehydrates. It doesn't sound like you can make it any worse, so might me worth trying.

That is an interesting development, didn't they recently go to a less expensive packaging
like plastic instead of glass or something like that? Could it be a change to less expensive ingredients?
If you discover the gist of the issues please post.
After a little thought, since you didn't get the issue resolved with the soap maker, hell, send it back to them.
You know it's not right, sure it will cost you but since the maker says that it's user error....... that would tick me off
anyway, I know we at B&B like to make lathering a soap into rocket science but it's really not.....let them know by
sending it to them that ,yes, there is indeed an issue with the soap that you paid a premium price for and they can see for themselves.

Two very different lathers with the Nuavia Blu.

This is the lather I used to get. Thick, dense, creamy and protective. Photo from my archive.

This is the lather I get now.

It's airy and full of small bubbles. Not protective at all, I can't shave my face with this.

I make this post to prove that I know how to lather these soaps. I got my first one 4,5 years ago and I was one of the first who reviewed these.

Last edited:
crazy. never had this issue with any of my classic Pannacrema soaps.

maybe severe dehydration and some sort of migration.
try to dig down and scoop out a few tablespoons, grate, mash, hydrate for a couple days, then re-try.

That is some terrible looking lather, my friend. Looks like lather early in the process that isn’t quite ready. I take your word for it you’ve tried everything.

As mentioned, perhaps grating and incorporating some some water before smashing back together will help? Keep us updated and good luck!

Nicolas- bought mine in 2017.scared i might have the same dilemma so i broke her out today. Lather was fine, but not as great as she used to be. Maybe it is transitioning to crap?
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still haven't heard anything back from Pannacrema about a shipping address to send them a piece from each to see what's going on. And this is something THEY suggested to me and I said ok send it over.

A couple of assumptions.

1. They certainly believe it's my error and not theirs.
2. They read this thread and don't want to bother.

This is a disappointing behavior to a repeating customer.

I'm officially done with them.

I've had them on my radar to eventually get but not now. Too many good soaps out there
with good customer service. I had a customer service issue with Sudsy Soapery a few months
back, liked the product but their are too many other good soaps available

I've had them on my radar to eventually get but not now. Too many good soaps out there
with good customer service. I had a customer service issue with Sudsy Soapery a few months
back, liked the product but their are too many other good soaps available
Their customer service used to be great.

Maybe they're more worried about other things lately. For example, Italy has now a major problem with coronavirus, they have an outbreak. This is not an excuse, I'm just trying to find a reason why they don't give a damn about this issue. They sure know the existence of this and other threads, they should have already given a solution. It's not only me who experiences that problem. There are more experienced members on other fora as well.

Their customer service used to be great.

Maybe they're more worried about other things lately. For example, Italy has now a major problem with coronavirus, they have an outbreak. This is not an excuse, I'm just trying to find a reason why they don't give a damn about this issue. They sure know the existence of this and other threads, they should have already given a solution. It's not only me who experiences that problem. There are more experienced members on other fora as well.
I may be wrong but wasn't there some thing posted a couple months back about Nauvia changing to
a plastic or some sort of less expensive container? Who knows; maybe they were bought by someone else
or brought in different people to "streamline" the business. Unfortunately in this day and age it's all about
the bottom line and customer service gets thrown out the window.

I may be wrong but wasn't there some thing posted a couple months back about Nauvia changing to
a plastic or some sort of less expensive container? Who knows; maybe they were bought by someone else
or brought in different people to "streamline" the business. Unfortunately in this day and age it's all about
the bottom line and customer service gets thrown out the window.
The ownership hasn't changed. I exchanged emails with the same lady (Marina for those who know).

The container change was to cut costs I believe. Ceramic containers of that quality cost much more than plastic or glass ones.

The last few days I did my best to rehydrate these two by adding a few drops of water every now and then. They became somewhat softer to be honest.

When I started exchanging emails with Pannacrema, they said me the following (I'm sure they have no problem publishing it as it's just a recommended procedure, nothing more, nothing less):

"please try the following procedure:

1. pick up exactly 3 grams of soap with your finger or a teaspoon. This requires you to have a good scale.

2. put it in a bowl, please use a lathering bowl, if possible with a rough bottom.

2. add exactly 7 grams of warm water in two steps.

3. use your brush to semi-lather the soap. it will become creamy without many bubbles.

4. when all the water is incorporated, start to face lather on your wet skin."

Ok, fair enough. I know perfectly well how to lather a product but let's try this.

I tried it and it didn't work. I sent them some pictures and they said the following:

"From the photos it looks like the proportions are not right. Definitely there’s too much water. If you are sure you used the right weights then please try again with 4 grams of soap, but that is really too much. The soaps don’t go bad anyway"

You will see the whole procedure, step by step.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so why not posting tens of thousands of words.

The following photos were taken by me this evening, after softening the soaps. (Imagine how bad the lather was before softening them)

Top Bottom