What's new

Problem with synthetics

I have had great success with AP Shave Co knots.
Also, the Razorock BC Silvertip synthetic.
I heard that the razor rock are pretty damn good.
Which Hi-Brush would that be? There are two different types. Black hi-Brush - harder, meant to emulate pure badger, and white hi-brush, softer, meant to emulate the higher grade badgers.
I have the white one with a nice wooden handle and it really is like spring steel, but I've found if I let it soak in hot water the fibres soften and become more compliant. It may be because its the first gen of the hi brush, but in Omegas' defence I really like the S brush. IMHO as near as it gets to a boar synthetic, whether by design or accident, dirt cheap and absolutely great on my old mug.

I heard that the razor rock are pretty damn good.

I have the white one with a nice wooden handle and it really is like spring steel, but I've found if I let it soak in hot water the fibres soften and become more compliant. It may be because its the first gen of the hi brush, but in Omegas' defence I really like the S brush. IMHO as near as it gets to a boar synthetic, whether by design or accident, dirt cheap and absolutely great on my old mug.
Maybe yours is a S-brush which has some backbone, or the disontinued Syntex series which were terrible . Omega has currently at least 4 synthetic series and one discontinued. A photo would help. The white Hi Brush range manufactured in the last years is very soft.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a handful of synthetic shaving brushes. A couple are really nice in terms of face feel and splay for example, the Edwin Jagger Synthetic and the Razorock Plissoft. Others I own are very stiff with poor face feel and little splay. The one thing about a boar brush is you know what you are buying when your order a boar....they are all basically the same. There is a bit of variation with badgers, but generally you can tell which ones are going to be scritchy or really nice.

Is there some classification of synthetic bristle fibers that can differentiate the good ones from the not so good ones?
I disagree that all boars are basically the same. Mine run the gamut from too stiff to too floppy.

A classification of synthetic bristle fibers sounds like an excellent idea, and one I fear we will not see anytime soon. What does too stiff mean? My too stiff might be your perfect face feel.

But I find you can get excellent information here on the forum with specific questions. I like brush XXXX but would like a little more backbone. Will brush ZZZZ give me that?

Part of the problem is that we can only like what we know. I have the EVO, but not the Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF). So I can tell you what I like about the EVO, but you'll have to hear from somebody else for a comparison of those two.

Here is some of the synthetic brushes I have bought over the years.(I have added more since this photo)
View attachment 1441467
If you see one you might like I can possibly remark accurately what I like about it. I enjoy all of these and some a little more.
Have some great shaves!
Thanks for the picture, it really helps to see comparison of sizes, and a better sense of the brush. I'm in the market for a new brush as well. I have a silver tip that is getting a bit worn. I'm leaning towards boar. I don't know much about synthetics, and I only want to stay in the 25-50 dollar range.

I was wondering if you could say a few words on the Yaqi Sagrada Familia, and synthetics in general.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the picture, it really helps to see comparison of sizes, and a better sense of the brush. I'm in the market for a new brush as well. I have a silver tip that is getting a bit worn. I'm leaning towards boar. I don't know much about synthetics, and I only want to stay in the 25-50 dollar range.

I was wondering if you could say a few words on the Yaqi Sagrada Familia, and synthetics in general.
The Yaqi Sagrada Familia is a nice brush, handle is small and comes with a 24mm tuxedo knot but it works very well for lathering and a nice feel to the face IMO. Very good brush with a lot of characteristics that make a excellent brush.
My favorite yaqi brushes are the 26 mm Evil Zebra and the 26mm rainbow with the brown knot.
Those two brushes offer a luxury feel to the face with those knots + give a nice luxury scrub and are excellent lather painters + the handles are very comfortable in the hand + are longer and are priced right for most folks.
Yaqi has sales every once in a while and they can go for a discount of 30-40% sometimes. I thought 26mm knot would be to big but it gives a different feel than the 24mm knots because a lot more bristles that give a nice scrub and lather painting is perfect IMO.
I bought the Sagrada Familia synthetic brush because I visited that cathedral in Barcelona Spain years ago and that is a interesting building that still on going repairing and expanding with millions of folks visit it yearly before Covid hit. The owner of Yaqi also visited the Sagrada Familia Cathedral and was inspired to make the brush is my understanding.
Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia :thumbup::thumbup:....Yaqi 26mm Evil (Red) Zebra :001_wub::001_wub:........Yaqi 26mm Rainbow brown whiskers:001_wub::001_wub:.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Brush collage March 23 2022.jpg
Brush collage Mar 4 2022.jpg
Brush collage March 27 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
The Yaqi Sagrada Familia is a nice brush, handle is small and comes with a 24mm tuxedo knot but it works very well for lathering and a nice feel to the face IMO.

My favorite yaqi brushes are the 26 mm Evil Zebra and the 26mm rainbow with the brown knot.
I'm planning on getting a brush, but I want to add it to an order of other things from Top of the Chain, so I"m constrained by what brushes they offer. If I can get a more narrowed down list, I'll probably post and ask for opinions. They have the Familia, which I like the look of, and the Rainbow. I don't have a lot of experience with brushes. I had a basic boar brush years ago, and since then have been using a silver tip badger. I have no experience with synthetics at all. I was thinking of getting a boar or synthetic. I had been leaning towards boar, but Top of the Chain is out of the Semogues I was most interested in, and I thought maybe it was time to try a synthetic.

I don't want too much scrubbiness. Which of the two is softer? I'm leaning more towards short/stubby, and with a bulb shaped brush, probably because it is what I'm used to and comfortable with, so not so sure about the Rainbow.
Those two brushes offer a luxury feel to the face with those knots + give a nice luxury scrub and are excellent lather painters + the handles are very comfortable in the hand + are longer and are priced right for most folks.
Yaqi has sales every once in a while and they can go for a discount of 30-40% sometimes. I thought 26mm knot would be to big but it gives a different feel than the 24mm knots because a lot more bristles that give a nice scrub and lather painting is perfect IMO.
I bought the Sagrada Familia synthetic brush because I visited that cathedral in Barcelona Spain years ago and that is a interesting building that still on going repairing and expanding with millions of folks visit it yearly before Covid hit. The owner of Yaqi also visited the Sagrada Familia Cathedral and was inspired to make the brush is my understanding.
Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia :thumbup::thumbup:....Yaqi 26mm Evil (Red) Zebra :001_wub::001_wub:........Yaqi 26mm Rainbow brown whiskers:001_wub::001_wub:.
(Click picture to enlarge)

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I'm planning on getting a brush, but I want to add it to an order of other things from Top of the Chain, so I"m constrained by what brushes they offer. If I can get a more narrowed down list, I'll probably post and ask for opinions. They have the Familia, which I like the look of, and the Rainbow. I don't have a lot of experience with brushes. I had a basic boar brush years ago, and since then have been using a silver tip badger. I have no experience with synthetics at all. I was thinking of getting a boar or synthetic. I had been leaning towards boar, but Top of the Chain is out of the Semogues I was most interested in, and I thought maybe it was time to try a synthetic.

I don't want too much scrubbiness. Which of the two is softer? I'm leaning more towards short/stubby, and with a bulb shaped brush, probably because it is what I'm used to and comfortable with, so not so sure about the Rainbow.
I'm sure you will be happy with either one like I'm already. You will find there is not much difference in synthetic brush feel of the two but if you like larger handles the Rainbow is the better choice IMO. Enjoy your new brush what ever it you decide.
I looked Fendrihan Canada shaving and they are sold out of Semogue boar brushes in the $20-30 range also, that is telling me they are big demand at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm sad to say I have found the last brush I will ever buy again.

After putting a few peoples kids through school buying brushes to find "the
one". I have been using the $9.99 Keyhole synth from Razorock now for 4 months.

I have badgers, boars and horse hair brushes from six makers and four different
synthetic knots from different makers that all cost more.

I'm sad because hunting is fun. Turns out finding it is boring.

YMMV

I'll still be buying more 😊

Last edited:

The Rainbow is very soft and somewhat floppy. The Sagrada Familia is a much firmer brush. In between these are some brushes with the Mew Brown knot. Take a look at the Moka Express and the Purple Haze. One of those might suit what you are looking for. The is the same type knot offered by other makers sometimes called the SynBad. Only it's really good!

1650665880029.png
1650665828563.png

Ron R

The one on the far left. Is that a Razorock brush? What is your review of the brush?
Sorry about not getting back to you earlier, I missed the alert you sent. Good guess on a Razorock brush.
That is a Razorock Noir 400 synthetic, it has the feel more of my boar bristle brushes. Newer ones might feel different than this 3.5 year old brush because MFG change fiber feel slightly possibly.
Handle feels good in the hand slightly narrow handle. The brush generates excellent lather, soft cloud like tips with a nice scrub + great lather painter I have found. For over a year this brush and one other Razorock Plissoft brush I used and enjoyed them very much & still do. I have a yaqi boss knot that looks similar but it is slightly softer feel IMO.
Have some great shaves!

I only use synthetics and the best so far for me is the Razorock Plissoft. And they're really reasonably priced. Groomatorium has the Disruptor on sale for $5.99
You can't beat it!

I bought and use the Simpsons Trafalgar T2 which is really good but it still gets beat by the Razorock.
RazoRock coming out on top does not surprise me the least bit.
Cost and performance with the RazoRock is unbeatable.

Top Bottom