What's new

Problem with redtip?

Hey folks, I received a gillette redtip in the mail today. Only my second vintage razor. When I took it out of the box it opened and closed perfectly, then I gave it a barbacide bath and now it wont close. I soaked it in some hot water and dish soap as I've seen on here but no luck. Any ideas?

Is it just hard to close (binding) or you can’t close the doors at all ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It might help to post some photos of what you are talking about. It may someone give you a clue on what to do.

it may have had so much gunk inside it that it got stuck. try cleaning it some more and as others have said post some pics and give more info so we can help

Y not try leaving it soaked in hot soapy water a day or two and keep
changing the solution so its hot. Or gently toggle the TTO up and down
while twisting lightly to see if it will give?

If that fails, send it to captain Murphy

Maybe you have or have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? I have bought a very simple and cheap one and it works well for my razors. All the vintage acquisitions get a good cleaning. Every once a while the all get a nice warm bath.

Attachments

• 17A05593-F338-4B53-B0E6-542D1C71EBE1.jpeg
    17A05593-F338-4B53-B0E6-542D1C71EBE1.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 15
Maybe you have or have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? I have bought a very simple and cheap one and it works well for my razors. All the vintage acquisitions get a good cleaning. Every once a while the all get a nice warm bath.
I agree you can find them in thrift stores for less than 5 dollars.

Я рекомендую пролить бритву маслом. Pour oil into all the razor holes and continue to try to open - close the flaps.

WD-40 will definitely help in loosening all the jammed parts, if there is no other mechanical issue. You can clean with soap afterwards.

I have to caution against putting a red tip in an ultrasonic cleaner...
there is a very high chance of the red paint on the TTO knob getting stripped off. When I cleaned my UK RT SS, I only immersed the head...left it standing up in the ultrasonic tray.

Also not sure about putting oil or anything greasy down these mechanisms...they will stay in there forever and attract even more gunk, hair and clog up even faster than usual.

I would spray some scrubbing bubbles liberally over it, especially down that small
opening in the blade tray and leave it for 10-15 min.....scrubbing bubbs dissolves gunk pretty effectively.

Last edited:
I would start with some Dawn and warm water soaks. Stick with that for awhile.

Scrubbing bubbles next, if needed.

Thanks for all the help guys. Oddly enough, I didn't do anything to it all night and when I tried to close it this morning it worked just fine?

Sounds like a hunk of gunk? Soak in hot water and Dawn for several days. Change to hot water 2-3 times a day. Letting it soak will hopefully (should) dilute the gunk that has accumulated inside the handle over the years. Also run some hot water and direct the flow over the small hole (down the pipe) in the middle of the blade tray. Also after soaking for a day or two get a can of compressed air from Office Max etc and shoot it down the pipe. This may also help dislodge the mass. Other than disassembling letting it soak for many days will cost you nothing - just alittle patience. I have done this process to numerious vintage razor (I have 60+) with no damage done.

Last edited:
Good to hear is working again. Mine had no issues but I dissasemblied it and cleaned it good. I followed this post and modified a blade screwdriver to remove the security screw.
How do you disassemble a Gillette super speed

Cheers
you can also buy a set of security drivers that come with the proper tool and come in Very handy for other things also that require security drivers.. i work on electronics also and they come in very handy. ordered the set on eBay for less than 6 or 7 dollars.

Top Bottom