What's new

Problem with Nancy Boy Cream

So I've been using Nancy Boy Shave Cream for about a month now. 3 weeks of that was with my Mach3 (1-1.5 pases) and the last week has been with my new HD.

The problem that I'm seeing is that my lather is loosing it's volume really fast. By the time I'm ready to lather up for a 2nd pass with my HD the volume has reduced quite a bit both on the brush and in the bowl. I would think that it should be able to sustain for at least two lathering's. Or do I need to mix a whole new batch for each pass?

Thoughts? Is this a brand issue or am I wrong?

It sounds to me that you need to whip up more lather by rotating your brush accordingly. I also lose volume with some creams. I just whip it up again between passes.

Hello Dustind,

I do the same as Austin. I just whip up the lather a few times before each pass. I usually need to do this with most creams.

I do get lots of volume with NB. Be sure you use more cream when using a brush; NB was originally designed as a brushless.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Oh i'm whipping. I'm gonna play with the amount I'm pulling from the tub in the begining next week (don't shave on the weekends). But even with whipping the volume has a lot to be desired.

I have been having similar problems with Nancy Boy too. I am also new to wetshaving but I have received samples of trumpers almond and rose as well as T&H that seem to stay more whipped than the NB. I am sure it is just my technique but is this due to not enough water, not enough cream, I don't know. One this is for sure though, living in Portland, OR it is not that the water is to hard, because the water is perfect here. The sample of lime I got from trumpers seems pretty similar.

I'd like to also add that I seem to be getting a better lather with the NB body bar in the shower than with the shave cream with my craptastic col conk brush.

Chris

I do not use my NB with a brush as earlier posts had expressed that Eric Roos considered the product best used without one. I just take a little and apply it directly to my face with my fingers, slick it around my wet puss and begin shaving after a 20 - 30 second wait. I get a consistant, excellent (BBS to near BBS) shave each time and it is my go-to cream when I need a break from trying out my other soaps and creams.

This is the nature of the beast with NB, and the issue that prevents it from being a truly great cream instead of merely a good one, in my never humble opinion. NB can't hold as much water as other creams, and it tends to "run-out" into a watery drool, disppearing before your very eyes if you are not careful. To avoid this, I have taken the following actions:

1. Use much less water in your brush to start with
  2. Use more cream- - as mentioned it was not originally intended to use with a brush
  3. Do not use a hot pot or mug warmer - it seems to accelerate the process
That being said, when done right it produces awesome lather, a great shave, and a really nice scent. It is just a bit annoying that you have to adapt your technique unlike other creams.

I am getting superb lather with NB and my nylon Omega brush.
Nancy Boy is my favorite cream; I feel it outperforms even the best British creams. NB is slick and smooth and the scent is great.
If your lather won't give you more than one application:
use more cream
or:
lather again: shaving cream is inexpensive enough!
Good luck!
Giovanni

Scotto,

What you described with the NB cream is how it works out for me. I got great shaves and great lather with it when I first started westshaving using hardly any water cause I had no clue. Then when i did the same thing with the Trumpers it seemed I needed to add water and the more water I added didn't seem to effect it in a negative way at all. Then when I went back to the NB i used to much water and thus the lather sucked.

Being new to wetshaving I thought I was messing everything up but maybe it is the cream too.

Chris

I'm not using a hot pot and I shake off water from the brush but maybe I'm using more water than needed. I'll give it a try in the morning. I was going to try some Trumpers Violet next and some T&H Lavendar next. Sounds like I might get beter results.

dustind said:
I'm not using a hot pot and I shake off water from the brush but maybe I'm using more water than needed. I'll give it a try in the morning. I was going to try some Trumpers Violet next and some T&H Lavendar next. Sounds like I might get beter results.

Just an update on this topic. I tried using less water.... a lot less water on the brush and got a much better result in my lather. I almost shook my brush like I was rinsing it off, but the lather was much thicker and lasted two passes in the bowl.

Top Bottom