What's new

Problem with lather drying

So for the past few shaves, my lather's been drying out and I've been having to moisten it back up whenever I rinse my razor. I can see it crack and dry, and I make sure to apply a decent layer. I am getting better at lathering, there's a guide around here that mentioned soaking one's brush and soap. That and my acquisition of a copper bowl made a big difference. I aim for a slick yogurt consistency.
I've been shaving lately with warm water, still using Stirling pre-shave and shaving soaps. I'm thinking a culprit might be the brick of Stirling's pre-shave soap I'm trying out, had this dry lather issue just about every time I've used that pre-shave in my routine.
Thought it might be caused by an environmental issue, my bathroom's in a basement and the only form of moisture management down there is a dehumidifier running 24/7. Though I've been shaving for months now and this issue has only started recently.
Any ideas/suggestions on how I can deal with this situation?

You need more water. I face lather, so this might be a bit different for you.

I soak my boar brush while I shower. I let the water drain from the brush, but don't shake it. When I begin face lathering, the lather is thin with some bubbles, but it firms up as I work it to a very nice consistency.

Depending on the soap / cream, you may have to adjust the amount of water.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So for the past few shaves, my lather's been drying out and I've been having to moisten it back up whenever I rinse my razor. I can see it crack and dry, and I make sure to apply a decent layer. I am getting better at lathering, there's a guide around here that mentioned soaking one's brush and soap. That and my acquisition of a copper bowl made a big difference. I aim for a slick yogurt consistency.
I've been shaving lately with warm water, still using Stirling pre-shave and shaving soaps. I'm thinking a culprit might be the brick of Stirling's pre-shave soap I'm trying out, had this dry lather issue just about every time I've used that pre-shave in my routine.
Thought it might be caused by an environmental issue, my bathroom's in a basement and the only form of moisture management down there is a dehumidifier running 24/7. Though I've been shaving for months now and this issue has only started recently.
Any ideas/suggestions on how I can deal with this situation?
I believe you've identified the culprit.

I had the same exact problem when using the Grooming Department's pre-shave. It's thicker than the other two pre-shaves I use and when it combines with the lather as you scrub it on, it thickens up the lather. As was mentioned, you'll have add more water to your lather to compensate. I had to add a Lot of water... almost runny lather in my shaving bowl.

Yeah, adding more water to my lathering helped. Also switched back to Proraso's pre-shave cream... I may try that brick of Stirling's pre-shave soap with a wetter lathering, give it another chance and see if I can make it work for me.
Thanks for the info y'all.

I think you may have the answer but just incase you missed it ...

More Water

Lather doesnt need to be 1/8" or 1/4" thick on your face. Make lather and add water. Work it and add water. Work it and add water. When its about ready to run down your face or turn into a puddle in your bowl work it some more and it will firm up just a little. Then you have enough water in your lather.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree with everyone who has been saying that you need more water, this is correct. I can speak from experience what happens when you don't have enough water, and your lather dries, making your face and neck feel like their in a cast mold. I use this nifty little device, its called a Flarisol ultra fine mister spray bottle...

proxy.php

In-between applications of lather, I spray myself a couple times with this first, which re-wets my face. If my lather is still a bit too dry during the shave, I will spray the lather on my face, to wet it down more. If your razor glides on your face without resistance, you know you got enough slickness in the lather.

If your razor doesn't want to glide, and seems to want to grab skin, your lather is too dry, face is too dry, basically all kind of unneeded dry. These bottles are inexpensive, you can get them for like 10 bucks. You can also use them to spray water directly into your lather bowl, as an alternative, to running water int the bowl, or using a teaspoon to splash water in the bowl.

You are correct for making sure your lather is a yogurt consistency, this is the way.

proxy.php

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom