What's new

Problem: with blade, or with soap?

I've come back to Feather blades after a few years, and found them to be fine cutters when used in a mild razor like a Tech or in an adjustable Slim stopped down to 3 for the first pass, then 2, and 1 for buffing. However --

-- I swirl my razor in the sink water as needed within each pass. Part way through my first pass today, however, I saw that my razor was staying clogged with the soap I was using. It was not cutting. When I took out the blade I found the soap was sticking to the edges of the Feather blade! I wiped the blade down, very carefully, and had no trouble for the rest of the shave.

The soap was Phoenix Shaving's Atmotic, loaded on a badger brush and face-lathered. And my first thought is that I might have had it too thick and not wet enough. But I recall the sticky wax that comes on the Feather blade -- when I used another Feather in my Tech, it stuck the cap and base plate together, and to change the blade I had to pry the two pieces apart. Could the wax be part of the problem?

I don't recall using the Atmotic with a Feather blade before, but this soap has never given me any problems until today. So I wonder if the problem could be the wax on the blade, the soap, or a combo of both . . .?

Part way through my first pass today, however, I saw that my razor was staying clogged with the soap I was using. It was not cutting. When I took out the blade I found the soap was sticking to the edges
That is usually a sign of the lather too dry, especially if it runs the length of the blade.
And my first thought is that I might have had it too thick and not wet enough
Go with your first thought, try more water in the lather.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I had a similar experience last week when I used a Palmolive Shave stick that I had received in a PIF. My first ever lather with the shave stick looked great but the first pass was terrible. Razor clogged and hardly seemed to remove any whiskers. The next two passes were much better when I added more water to the brush and re-lathered. I put it down to a dry lather at the time. Maybe your scenario as well.

I agree with the above comment by @Invicta . Some years ago I tried a shaving stick for the first time and had the soap stick as you experienced. When I added more water the problem ended.

+1 on the dry lather theory. I've noticed that I can make any soap clog the razor if it's too dry. Thinning with water always solves it.

+1 on the dry lather theory. I've noticed that I can make any soap clog the razor if it's too dry. Thinning with water always solves it.

+2! This is also my best guess. If so, then it should be an easy fix. If more water does not solve the problem, then you might see what happens with a different soap and the same hardware.

It probably was the lather. I'd whipped it on, then let it soak while I took care of household chores for a couple of minutes. When I came back, I should have massaged the lather into my face with wet fingers, which would have thinned it out.

Not much to say here, I think it’s been nailed on the head. +1 to dry lather.

This is very noticeable for me on my open blade razors for certain sticky soaps like TOBS or Proraso when they aren’t wet enough.

I think this issue has being solved, but for the sake of putting a nail on this coffin I would say, the wax on the blades sure is a bit annoying but is nowhere close to the edge to even be in contact with the lather anyways, I have had dry lathers as well and one of my solutions is just rinse more often, or spray some water straight on the face and wet the lather more, anyways just my 2 cents.

True, the wax is nowhere near the edges, but I suppose it might be a factor if it ran because of hot water or something like that. I didn't really think it could be the main problem, as I've used the Feather in a Tech as well as the Slim and had no problems with creams or other soaps.

I used the Atmotic again this morning, and made sure to thin and wet the lather on my face before applying the blade. Problem done.

I feel in a similar boat as what you described. I don't feel I have mastered the art of the slick lather. I'm trying new soaps as well hoping that helps. But I do find mine is too dry or fries too quickly. Or maybe I'm too slow shaving

Top Bottom