What's new

Problem with barbicide and scales

I have tried to clean some of my projects. Yesterday I put it into solution of barbicide and today when I took them out I have found that some of the scales which I believe were horn on old Rogers and Kayes blades warped, swelled up in places, got strange shiny/ lusture like colour and in places it looks like when you stripping old varnish from wood. I will try tomorrow to take some pictures.
Did anybody experienced something like this? Any advice about it? Thank you.

I would not place them in barbicide, some soap and water wash would be good. Perhaps a light sanding and some neatsfoot oil and renaissance wax.

I am using barbicide (the original one for barbers) to desinfect them. Second stage is the soapy water, brush and floss.

I have heard stories about that. Your not alone.

As for advice, I would not worry about disinfecting scales. They're not sharp after all. As for the blade, I've seen people use the scales as a sort of hook, and only place the blade in the solution.

I don't shave with the scales, so I don't disinfect them. A good cleaning to remove whatever crud may have accumulated there and I consider them good to go. Honestly, I don't think there is much to worry about. Not only is metal pretty inhospitable to the nasties, but sanding and/or polishing a razor and creating a new edge exposes new metal. There is, however, no compelling reason not to disinfect the blade. So I do.

Last edited:
Personally, I like to sanitize my scales just in case the blade was put back in dirty. I don't use Barbicide on the scales though, only alcohol. Even alcohol can make celluloid scales start to stink.

I usually put them in a shallow bath for 2-3 minutes, turn them over to get the other side and leave them another 5 minutes (at the most!). If they are celluloid they will still stink for a few weeks afterwards. I'm not sure what I will do when I want to clean a set of scales I feel are irreplacable.

Propping the scales up so only the blade sits in the Barbicide is a good call, and I would add that soaking it overnight is overkill. Barbicide only requires a 15 minute soak to sanitize a blade.

ADRSPACH,

Barbicide is amongst other things a mix of detergent (quartenary ammonium compounds) and anti-oxidant/corrosion inhibitor (nitrite).

Horn is made of the same protein (keratin) as your fingernails, and you know how soft they get when you soak them.

Best to avoid soaking your scales in any water-based solutions.

Best regards

Russ

Today when I wanted to take some pictures I found that sweling and warping is nearly gone. Would not expect that this can happen with horn scales. Will be carefull next time.

U

Utopian

Your scales might be better off if you just did surface disinfection. That is, rather than soaking, just wipe down the surfaces of the scales with a disinfectant. If you choose to use alcohol, a 70% solution is most effective and soaking is not necessary--you can just spray or wipe in on and then let it evaporate.

Your scales might be better off if you just did surface disinfection. That is, rather than soaking, just wipe down the surfaces of the scales with a disinfectant. If you choose to use alcohol, a 70% solution is most effective and soaking is not necessary--you can just spray or wipe in on and then let it evaporate.

You know that's a really good call.

I think I will start spraying instead of dousing too.

Top Bottom