What's new

Problem with Aristocrat adjustable

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I just purchased a 1964 Aristocrat adjustable. This was my first shave with this razor. I put it at setting 6 as I do very often with my Slims which I believe are the same razor except for the finish. The going was so rough I didn’t finish the first pass. I put the blade in one of my slims at the same setting and the shave was smooth. I wonder what’s up. I looked at the two razors and noticed that when I looked down at the doors with a blade in each razor the Aristocrat had noticeably more blade showing at the edge of the doors. When I got the razor the extra quarter turn was not smooth going. Also when I open the doors there is a slight bind after I get past the quarter turn. I did the soaking and exercising the mechanism with the hot water and Dawn trick. I also tried WD40 and sewing machine oil. Things improved but it’s not like my other slims. The quarter turn could be smoother and I still have that slight bind when opening the doors. Here is a couple photos. They’re the best I could do.

A04725D4-70F8-4867-BE46-3E1CB00E101D.jpeg
B635DEDE-DE4B-425C-9256-195EFD90FBC9.jpeg

Sounds as though it might have been over clocked. There is a very simple way of resolving this, if it is the case, but I'm afraid that I've forgotten what it is. Others here will no doubt know how to check this out.

While it does look like there is more blade exposed, I don't think that alone would account for the rough shave you report. There are any number of things that can go wrong. Issues with the blade gap, door misalignment or bowing that curves the blade, baseplate alignment, bent guards.

I've got a Fatboy that doesn't shave nearly as well as my other two Fatboys and I can't figure out what's wrong. And once I do, there is the question of if I can fix it.

Hope yours is an easy fix.

R

romsitsa

Compare them from the side, sound like the bars are bent down on both sides.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I’ve looked from all angles and compared it with the slim. Everything looks straight. The gaps look the same as far as I can tell. I know the naked eye at my age isn’t the most accurate way to compare minute gaps. I should probably check the gaps with a feeler guage. I’ll try another shave tomorrow.
I’d take it apart, but the rod is crimped in instead of using a threaded nut like some of the Fatboys and Superspeeds. I took a red tip apart without much drama. From what I’ve read you’re taking a significant gamble trying to remove the crimped collar.

BTW, thanks for the support folks.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Todays shave was Much better than yesterday’s shave. I’m not sure what the problem with the razor was. I continued the soaking with Dawn several more times and the resulting shave was 100% better than yesterday.

Probably not a razor problem then. Give it a few more shaves with the same blades and preparation.
Some photos showing blade alignment and gap would help. Those pictures above of blade reveal are not much help.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Probably not a razor problem then. Give it a few more shaves with the same blades and preparation.
Some photos showing blade alignment and gap would help. Those pictures above of blade reveal are not much help.
That top view was the only indication of anything out of sorts. Everything else looked good. I gave it a really thorough examination, but that was after the additional soakings and repeated opening and closing of the razor. I’ve probably shaved with a slim more than any other razor. In fact it was the only razor I used for a month when I was out of the country earlier this year. And I shaved every day. I also use a slim every weekend of the boating season. May through October. The whole thing is strange. I can only guess I fixed the issue with all the extra cleaning and exercising the mechanism.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I just purchased a 1964 Aristocrat adjustable. This was my first shave with this razor. I put it at setting 6 as I do very often with my Slims which I believe are the same razor except for the finish. The going was so rough I didn’t finish the first pass. I put the blade in one of my slims at the same setting and the shave was smooth. I wonder what’s up. I looked at the two razors and noticed that when I looked down at the doors with a blade in each razor the Aristocrat had noticeably more blade showing at the edge of the doors. When I got the razor the extra quarter turn was not smooth going. Also when I open the doors there is a slight bind after I get past the quarter turn. I did the soaking and exercising the mechanism with the hot water and Dawn trick. I also tried WD40 and sewing machine oil. Things improved but it’s not like my other slims. The quarter turn could be smoother and I still have that slight bind when opening the doors. Here is a couple photos. They’re the best I could do.

View attachment 1445559View attachment 1445561

Hello Ratso!

I am really sorry to hear this, and this is the reason why I didn't buy a butterfly razor with the doors. I am a mechanic by trade, and I know all too well, the more mechanisms you add, the more things can go wrong. While it is indeed true, that I have mad respect for razors, that do have mechanisms, but those are ones with tight tolerances that are made well, and function properly. Hence my love for adjustables, like the Rex Ambassador.

Companies that make butterfly razors, have much more work to do, in order to make a quality razor. Unfortunately, some miss the mark, and it is very clear, yours is one of them that missed it completely. I understand why some people want these razors though, quicker to change out the blade, I understand that. But, it really doesn't take long to change the blade on a 2-piece or 3-piece razor though.

My main issue with standard razors, is when you use a blade that is no longer then the width of the head, so after use, the blade is wet and sticks to the head, tricky to get the blade off without cutting your fingers up, but can be done as long as your careful.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Hello Ratso!

I am really sorry to hear this, and this is the reason why I didn't buy a butterfly razor with the doors. I am a mechanic by trade, and I know all too well, the more mechanisms you add, the more things can go wrong. While it is indeed true, that I have mad respect for razors, that do have mechanisms, but those are ones with tight tolerances that are made well, and function properly. Hence my love for adjustables, like the Rex Ambassador.

Companies that make butterfly razors, have much more work to do, in order to make a quality razor. Unfortunately, some miss the mark, and it is very clear, yours is one of them that missed it completely. I understand why some people want these razors though, quicker to change out the blade, I understand that. But, it really doesn't take long to change the blade on a 2-piece or 3-piece razor though.

My main issue with standard razors, is when you use a blade that is no longer then the width of the head, so after use, the blade is wet and sticks to the head, tricky to get the blade off without cutting your fingers up, but can be done as long as your careful.
With a bunch of additional cleaning and lubricating the razor is alive and well. I wish I would have examined the razor more closely before my massive assault of Dawn and sewing machine oil. My initial cleaning helped smooth the mechanism, but not to my satisfaction. I shaved with it any way. In your line of work you shouldn’t be telling people to buy stuff that doesn’t break.😄

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
In your line of work you shouldn’t be telling people to buy stuff that doesn’t break.😄

That has been a bit of a running joke among mechanics for awhile now. But even we admit, that with all the Youtube DIY how to fix your own machine video's, there are still folks that would rather not deal with it, and bring their machines to me to fix anyways lol. Those are the folks that we make our money on. I don't mind if someone wants to learn a trade by fixing their own stuff, more power to them, just so long as everybody doesn't fix their own lol!

My favorite mechanics joke though is, have you checked your blinker fluid? 🤣

Top Bottom