What's new

Problem Spot

Hello all. Just a quick question. I have this one spot on my neck. Pretty much every time I shave it it is uncomfortable and it bleeds. The direction that the hair grows on my neck is straight easy to west. Doesn’t matter what direction I try to shave first it is uncomfortable. The only razor I have found that it is not is the R41. Can’t shave with that every day. Any suggestions??

I'd take it easy on that trouble spot by only shaving WTG, lightly, for a few days. Maybe you're repeatedly scraping off yesterdays scab?

Do you use a styptic pencil on it? (Not just alum, a styptic pencil is better for cauterizing a cut.)

How "broken in" is the blade? I only get weepers with fresh blades, and they become increasingly rare after 5 or 10 or so shaves on a particular blade, even if I use an aggressive razor, or crank up an adjustable.
Well, maybe not with Wilkinson Sword (German) blades, they just get rougher, but certainly Astra SP, Feather, GSB, and Personna Blues improve for a while (in my experience).

I do not use a styptic pencil. Just alum. I’ll look into getting one. The blade I used today was new. I usually only get 5 shaves with a blade anyhow. Thick coarse beard. I may just give it a week break and try again. Either way it has always been a sensitive area no matter which way I go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Which razor are you using?

See my beard map below and notice the swirl growth patterns on each side of my Adam's apple.

beard-grain-map-1.jpg

I need to shave them first N>S then S>N, then E>W/W>E and then N>S again on an inwards 45° angle to BBS them. If I use a razor that lacks a rigidly held blade, the blade will skip and stutter and I'll bleed. I can use my R41 but only with a fresh Feather blade and only for one shave on the blade.

If I use a more rigid DE design, Fatip, Gillette Old Type and/or NEW SC it just wipes the stubble off in 2 directions. No blade flex, no skipping and no blood with virtually any blade, even a Derby Extra thats a blade in my top 3.

The thicker SE blades do it even easier and more comfortably.

Pay attention to your direction of growth and shave accordingly. If you're using a razor that lacks rigidity, and it sounds like you are, dont shave ATG or even XTG to soon. Try staying WTG first pass, WTG/XTG the second pass and ATG/XTG third pass. Then if you want an even closer finish, shave directly ATG as a clean up pass.

Today I was using an Old Type. The four razors I use the most is an old type, r41, red tip, and game changer .68. I do pay pretty close attention to the way my hair grows and do shave accordingly. I use Feather, Astra SPs, and Voskods. It’s just that one area and it is terribly sensitive.

I do not use a styptic pencil. Just alum. I’ll look into getting one.
Alum (potassium alum) can do a number of things, but stopping bleeding is not really it's forte.
Styptic pencils (anhydrous aluminum sulfate) are a one-trick pony, but they do an amazing job of stopping bleeding from shallow cuts. They hurt a bit more too.
Most drugstores should carry them, but you may not easily find them. They may be stocked with the first aid supplies instead of shaving stuff.

Alum (potassium alum) can do a number of things, but stopping bleeding is not really it's forte.
Styptic pencils (anhydrous aluminum sulfate) are a one-trick pony, but they do an amazing job of stopping bleeding from shallow cuts. They hurt a bit more too.
Most drugstores should carry them, but you may not easily find them. They may be stocked with the first aid supplies instead of shaving stuff.
I appreciate that. I will see what I can find tomorrow.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Today I was using an Old Type. The four razors I use the most is an old type, r41, red tip, and game changer .68. I do pay pretty close attention to the way my hair grows and do shave accordingly. I use Feather, Astra SPs, and Voskods. It’s just that one area and it is terribly sensitive.

You might have a close look at your Old Type. They can be damaged over the years and that damage can make them barely usable. See my 1916 Single Ring below.

As it came to me. Notice the 'feet' on the corners of the cap and the airspace around the blade between the cap and baseplate.

before (2).jpg

Those 'feet' are caused by rolled over corners of the cap, damage, that let the blade vibrate as I shaved. 30 seconds with a steel nail file gave me this.

after (2).JPG

Wonderfully smooth and trouble free shaves with that razor since.

This is my made in Canada thick cap Old. Ideally, they should all be this straight and true.

Canadian.jpg

If your razor is straight and undamaged, your angle of use might be changing slightly. Its a fine line keeping the optimum angle over all areas.

Check your razor, repair if needed then pay attention to direction of growth and angle used throughout your shave.

I will definitely give the old type a look tomorrow. Will continue to work on angle with it as well. Thank you for your advice and the pics are very helpful as well.

For my one near the Adam’s apple whorl, I get good results if I stretch the skin outward from each side of the whorl. Two fingers stretched over the whorl, each pulling opposite directions. I apply pressure and spread those two fingers apart. This is done in different directions. Doing it dry, I can feel it makes the hair stand straight up moreso, than stretching to one side or another at a time does. Maybe that will help also.

Something I don't see posted often in regard to shaving troubles, is the importance of good bodily hydration in order to provide supple skin. Dehydrated, my shaves can be a mess, and I will put them off often, until rehydrated well enough.

Medicines (especially heart), and the products we use to wash and shave can change the ph of your skin/body oil, and this may also cause issues. It corrupts your acid mantle and thus the protection the skin provides. I imagine this too would create problems for some shavers.

I looked and found this which explains it very well. pH Balanced Skin - Ape to Gentleman

I second @John Rose‘s advice that you should go easy on that spot and give it a few days. I have two spots on my neck that give me the same issue and i’ve realized that most of the time it just hasn’t had time to properly heal. A cut is a cut regardless of whether it’s tiny or not. I’d say go easy on it and take an extra day or two between shaves to let it heal up. Even if there’s no visible damage, the skin around problem spots like that tends to be more prone to weepers if you keep at the regular routine without giving it sufficient time to toughen back up.

I second @John Rose‘s advice that you should go easy on that spot and give it a few days. I have two spots on my neck that give me the same issue and i’ve realized that most of the time it just hasn’t had time to properly heal. A cut is a cut regardless of whether it’s tiny or not. I’d say go easy on it and take an extra day or two between shaves to let it heal up. Even if there’s no visible damage, the skin around problem spots like that tends to be more prone to weepers if you keep at the regular routine without giving it sufficient time to toughen back up.
Solid advice. I’m going to take a week off and go from there. Appreciate it.

Great suggestions above!

Once you give the problem area some time to heal properly, I suggest trying some skin stretching!

Top Bottom