What's new

Problem - can ones face be too clean before shaving?

I'd read recently that water will penetrate and soften the beard more if the skin/beard is totally clean of all oils. So today I tried a different soap in the shower (rather than shower gel), a proper glycerine based 'clear' soap made by a UK company called "Pears".

It got my skin so clean it removed all the oils, when I was rinsing I noticed my hands were actually "gripping" , i.e. sticking to the skin on my face.

Anyway I lathered up with Trumpers Violet cream and my usual brush/mug. I found that even with a good thick coat of quality lather, the razor (Merkur Futur) was gripping like mad on my skin. Not the blade, the smooth top of the razor was gripping the skin rather than gliding smoothly across the surface - even with no pressure at all. This meant the razor kept catching, rather than taking smooth controlled strokes.

I still got a close shave, but with more razorburn than usual. I think I'll go back to not washing my face with soap before a shave, and just using lots of hot water. Maybe I have drier skin than most...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Iwan :smile:

Hi Iwan,

I'm always shave in the evening after a hot shower.
I never wash my face with soap or shower gel, only warm/hot water and I've never had any problems with my shave after that.

IMO a face is never so dirty that you must use any kind of soap:smile:

Cheers
Thomas

YES! The answer is an emphatic yes to this question. I myself am a fan of the Trumper's Violet soap (thus the Harlot's Handbag in my avatar), and if I use a soap that cleanses my face too much before shaving with it, the razor will grip instead of glide across my face. I find that if I wash my face with a soap with high glycerine or moisturizer content first (or just let the Trumper's do the cleansing), it gives me a much more comfortable shave.

Yup I think I'll stick to just washing my face with hot water, then letting the shave cream/soap do its job.

My face doesn't really get dirty; I work in an office/lab, it's not like I work down a coal mine or something. :biggrin:

I never had any problems while shaving right after I washed my face either in the shower or just in front of the sink. One common mistake that is often made is that people tend to wash their face just like the rest of the body: they rub fairly hard. Use a much softer touch on your face and it will feel much less dry. Keep it maximum wet with hot (not too hot) water while lathering up with good slick, moisturzing and lubricating lather and you won't have much problems that the razor is skipping over your face.

Yeah, I do wash before. I have had the razor stick to my face as well, but not if I use a fairly gentle face wash, and water that is not too hot. I have a very tough beard, so good prep is critical, and I do find that the hair soften better if I wash off some of the oil buildup. But I do have fairly oily skin.

I also wash, using the Nivea for men line. I get about the same results as when I don't wash so I don't see anything wrong with washing prior.

Hi,

IMO water will not move skin oils.

I use soap on my face but only vegetable / nut oil based soap. Most soap out there is made from animal fats (look for sodium tallowate) which dry out my skin too much. Makes me think of a scene in Fightclub ! I know someone who washes their face with aqueous cream. I have some but I don't use it but I have seen it recommended on the net as an alternative to soap.

I think the 'general plan' is to sell soap that dries people skin out, and then sell them moisturiser.

Do you exfoliate ? (chemical - salicylic acid,fruit acid or mechanical sponge,crushed walnut shells)

Kind regards,

Ashley.

Does Salicylic Acid exfoliate? I was under the impression that it cleaned pores, but did not actually exfoliate? I hope that's the case, since I don't want to be exfoliating every day.

moses said:
Does Salicylic Acid exfoliate? I was under the impression that it cleaned pores, but did not actually exfoliate? I hope that's the case, since I don't want to be exfoliating every day.
If you're shaving every day...you're exfoliating everyday.

Ed

Using soap strips your face of oils allowing the water to really get into your beard and so make your beard WAY softer than wetting it without first washing it. So it is good to wash your face with soap prior to shaving. Also, using soap strips your face of oils allowing the blade to catch on and scrape your skin up. So it is bad to wash your face with soap prior to shaving. :blush:

I'm going to try washing my face with soap and then using preshave oil one of these days.

Ed,

Very good point. I suppose I should be more specific. I am not so sure about the wisdom of chemical exfoliation every day, especially given the exfoliation resulting from shaving (almost) every day.

Shane

Harkonnendog said:
Using soap strips your face of oils allowing the water to really get into your beard and so make your beard WAY softer than wetting it without first washing it. So it is good to wash your face with soap prior to shaving. Also, using soap strips your face of oils allowing the blade to catch on and scrape your skin up. So it is bad to wash your face with soap prior to shaving. :blush:

I'm going to try washing my face with soap and then using preshave oil one of these days.

Depends on one's skin type

I always wash with a soap prior to shaving.....but I use a pure olive oil soap....softens the beard....and the olive oil gives a little lubrication.

Regards
Brian

I use a pre-shave face wash prior to shaving and dont really have a problem with the razor skipping as such, plus it helps a lot in softening the stubble. I think soaps, such as Pears etc. may prove to cleanse the skin a bit too much compared to specially formulated pre-shave washes, which must be made to be gentler on your face. I would always use a pre-shave wash which is specially formulated to do the job rather than just a bar of soap. Leave the soap bars for the rest of your body.

I mean someone wit dry skin doesn't produce tons of oils, so he should avoid cleansing the beard area
Those wit oily skin might have too much oil, and it could interfere with water absorption

Just a theory

Top Bottom