What's new

probably a stupid question

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.

I'm still a relative newbie with all of this, but I still havent quite figured out the balance required to get the beast lather with my SMF brush. I've tried varying degrees of draining, flicking, etc. all unable to get the same thickness of that video that joel has posted here... But it dawned on me this morning that something else may be at the root of the problem.

When I soak my brush while im in the shower, i soak it in hot water in the bowl i'm mixing the lather in later. Is this wrong? Should the bowl be dry and the water coming entirely from the brush? I hadn't used a separate mug just because my fiance likes things to be pretty clutter free in the bathroom and was trying to minimize paraphenalia.

Does it matter?

Can someone please share with me their drain/flick/etc protocol for success? I'm using T&H 1805.

Educate this newbie how its usually done!

Jeftichew said:

I'm still a relative newbie with all of this, but I still havent quite figured out the balance required to get the beast lather with my SMF brush. I've tried varying degrees of draining, flicking, etc. all unable to get the same thickness of that video that joel has posted here... But it dawned on me this morning that something else may be at the root of the problem.

When I soak my brush while im in the shower, I soak it in hot water in the bowl i'm mixing the lather in later. Is this wrong? Should the bowl be dry and the water coming entirely from the brush? I hadn't used a separate mug just because my fiance likes things to be pretty clutter free in the bathroom and was trying to minimize paraphenalia.

Does it matter?

Can someone please share with me their drain/flick/etc protocol for success? I'm using T&H 1805.

That beast lather is hard to get, isn't it? :tongue_sm

Seriously, though, I do the same thing as you. It is OK if there is a bit of water left in your bowl afterward. On a separate note, with the SMF brush you really need to flick out a lot of water to get a thick lather. I flick it out hard ~4 times and still have plenty.

Try using more cream and see if that helps. Are you scooping it out or shoving your brush in the tub? When I use T&H stuff, I shove my brush in the tub, press down and twist a couple of times. This produces voluminous, thick lather. Try doubling up on your cream next time, combined with flicking out lots of water and see how it goes.

it seems though that using more cream just makes it too thick, and while able to form peaks, despite tremendous amount of wrist action over the course of 30+ seconds doesnt achieve that merenguish texture that joel appears to get within seconds in that video. Its more like applying cool-whip from a tub rather than the whip cream from an aerosolized can which is what I'm after, right?

maybe i'm missing out on basic technique or something.

Don't get me wrong, my shaves are quite close and nice, but I feel like I'm not completely getting the most out of the whole process yet.

Ya just gotta use the right tools....

proxy.php

proxy.php

:a50:

(Kidding...!)

Seriously though, I'm finally getting good lather; a couple good shakes then I grasp the brush by the base of the bristles, squeezing slightly, and start stirring. After a couple pumps I may need to add a bit of water, but I'm usually good to go in under a minute.

--Mark

Jeftichew said:

When I soak my brush while im in the shower, i soak it in hot water in the bowl i'm mixing the lather in later. Is this wrong? Should the bowl be dry and the water coming entirely from the brush? I hadn't used a separate mug just because my fiance likes things to be pretty clutter free in the bathroom and was trying to minimize paraphenalia.

Does it matter?

For comparison sake, I use Truefitt and Hill 1895 as my primary shave cream with my SMF brush.

What I do is soak my brush in a bowl of water that has just spent 3 minutes in the microwave (the water not the bowl or the brush) while I take my shower, when I am ready for my shave, I turn the shower water off (did I mention I shave in the shower), I grab my bowl, pour the water into a small cup I use as my clean water for my razor and I hold my brush upsidedown until it stops dripping then I give it two good shakes.

I shove my brush into the 1805 and give it a few twirls then plung it into the empty bowl and swirl away. I give it a lot of fast swirls as it first looks like its kinda watery but after a while, it thickens up. I have on occation had to add a few drops of the hot water I poured into the small cup. This usually gives me enough for 5 or more passes, but never need that many, but enjoy the smell of it so much, I put it on anyway.

One advantage of shaving in the shower is if I ever get a nick while shaving, I run my neck under the water which helps clot the cut and by the time I get out, there are no noticable cuts to be seen. This happens more often than not when I am using the Feather DE blades while going against the grain on the upstroke of my neck. I recently traded a bit of the 1805 shave cream for
the Feathers, I feel it was a worthwhile trade because I have been getting the abosolute best shaves when the blades get broken in.

Good luck!

Top Bottom