What's new

Pro Tip: Don't ever rent a jackhammer. Hire someone else to break up concrete.

As someone who has busted up his share of concrete I can say that the right hammer will get you there quick.
Many years ago I spent an entire morning "scratching" a concrete pad with the largest electric hammer I could get.
After getting nowhere for a few hours I called the boss and told him I needed something MUCH bigger.
Within the hour a 90lb air hammer with trailer/compressor showed up. It blasted through that concrete like it was made of chalk.
Lesson learned.

There's always a bigger tool, right? Haha. I was using a Makita HM1810. An electric model. 71.3 pounds and supposedly low on vibration. SUPPOSEDLY.

There's always a bigger tool, right? Haha. I was using a Makita HM1810. An electric model. 71.3 pounds and supposedly low on vibration. SUPPOSEDLY.

Yep, I couldn't believe my eyes when I was just scratching the concrete. I had never seen it so hard.
A world of difference in hammers though.
Its not something I ever want to do again but if I have to.. Its going to be the big dog!!

I've busted up concrete with a jackhammer on several occasions as well as a SDSMax hammer drill (that I own) with some chisel bits. It's not too bad if you break it up in small enough pieces that you're not killing yourself picking them up. The key here is to let the tool do the work. Don't fight with it or you will lose that battle. Not burying the thing in the concrete too far helps as well. It helped to keep it toward the surface by the edge and moving it around without sinking it and having to try and pull it out of the concrete all the time. This way the pieces that break off go into an open area and are not locking the bit up. Plus you can step back and kinda drag it back onto the surface that hasn't been done yet to keep from lifting it too much as they are heavy. Definitely hard work but easier if you work smart.

jackhammer 101 thank you. the jack hammer is a hydraulic piston. do not fight it, let it work, stay out of its way. Its still a great workout.

Top Bottom