What's new

Privacy acts gone too far?

So I have had a heck of a time cancelling all of my Mom's credit cards, bank accounts, cable, phone etc.

To the point I am upset with myself for being honest with the companies. Had I called said I was Sue Moore and verified all of her info, everything would have went smooth and saved me a ton of work hours.

I am baffled at how hard it is to cancel a credit card if you say someone has passed.

As I have been transferring all business accounts form both names to just mine, I struggled finding one company. The support for our newsletter. I was denied access to the account due to account closed because there is $40 outstanding bill. Not that they care but there was non-payment because I cancelled the credit card. So one would think when I call the company to pay them their $40 and transfer account it would have been a quick call.

I offered to give them death certificate, social security numbers, EIN, articles of incorporation to prove I am only owner of company now, and a copy of her trust proving I am her trustee and need to handle her affairs.

HA HA, not with this company. I could not answer the SECURITY QUESTION, please be seated this is top secret stuff........ What is her favorite ice cream. :001_huh::blink::001_huh::blink:

Credit card companies seem to look for any excuse. In your case it was probably someone "just doing their job" and not using common sense. When my dad died a few years ago, my mother (who has her own good salary, excellent credit rating, etc.) tried to change their joint credit card to be in her name alone. She was unceremoniously dropped as a customer and told that she would have to re-apply and be re-evaluated if she wanted to continue as a customer. She declined.

Wendy,

I sympathize with your situation, having gone through it with my father.

Are you the executor of her will? Do you (or the business) have a lawyer?

Since my mother was joint owner, or was the sole beneficiary for almost everything, things went smoothly. I did have to send a copy of the death certificate to some places and some were happy with a fax of the obituary from a newspaper.

I was surprised that the newspapers in which I placed an obituary required a copy of the death certificate, AND only accepted it from the funeral home, not from me directly. I now see that they do so for a reason -- many entities rely on that when they accept a copy of the published obituary as proof of death. (It is another story that the newspapers rip you off on the cost since they know you are trapped into it.)

Despite the temptation, I recommend you play things straight and don't pretend to be who you aren't. It might catch up with you later.

Again, my sympathies for both your loss and for the extra rough treatment you are getting from the bureaucracies.

Last edited:
I can appreciate how frustrating, and indeed upsetting, all this is.

You would think these companies would have a process designed to be less upsetting for the bereaved, after all a death certificate is fairly conclusive proof that the person named has passed on.

HA HA, not with this company. I could not answer the SECURITY QUESTION, please be seated this is top secret stuff........ What is her favorite ice cream. :001_huh::blink::001_huh::blink:

The sad part is, that kind of question is lousy security. Typically, it's used to claim that a company has "two factor" authentication (real two-factor usually involves something you have, like a key-fob that generates one-time passwords). They're annoying when you forget them, easy for an attacker to guess (I wonder how many people answered "vanilla" to that question. An attacker would just have to call up and say "Hey, I'm Sue Moore," they'd ask "So, what's your favorite ice cream?" "Chocolate." "OK, you must be her then!"), and, it seems, really inconvenient when something bad happens.

Wendy,

I used to work call centers for a long time and even built them from an admin side. The best thing to do is nicely ask for a manager, not all call center reps are aware of the rules pertaining to the death of the account holder. This is something most reps do not get trained on. Hope that helps!

Wendy,

Are you the executor of her will? Do you (or the business) have a lawyer?

Since my mother was joint owner, or was the sole beneficiary for almost everything, things went smoothly. I did have to send a copy of the death certificate to some places and some were happy with a fax of the obituary from a newspaper.

Yes. She actually had a trust which should be even easier to follow :blink:

Also all business related stuff transfers on death to the surviving partner. I am having lunch next week with the attorney over both of the above recorded documents so I will pick his brain if I must.

I actually paid for 15 copies of death certificates just to be sure I had enough, but apparently they are not good enough. Darn ice cream.

Prayers for you and we went through this a few years back when my inlaws both died with 11 months of each other. We would up having a conference call made from my Lawyer's office and that got our issue resolved.

Here is another one that will burn your bridge. Bank of America will no longer let your spouse cash a check made out to you even if you have a joint account. We call Alanta and was told it was because of some issues that had came up during some divorce cases.

Wendy, I'm an attorney here in the St. Louis area. I don't do much probate stuff but I'd be happy to answer some questions for you to the best of my ability (free of charge of course). If you need a referral to a probate attorney to provide you with more in depth representation I know a very good one I would be happy to refer you to. Not sure if I can post my business number here so just shoot me a pm and I'll help to the extent I can.

Credit card companies seem to look for any excuse. In your case it was probably someone "just doing their job" and not using common sense. When my dad died a few years ago, my mother (who has her own good salary, excellent credit rating, etc.) tried to change their joint credit card to be in her name alone. She was unceremoniously dropped as a customer and told that she would have to re-apply and be re-evaluated if she wanted to continue as a customer. She declined.

I used to work for a CC company, and in this particular case it probably just wasn't possible to change the account. I'm not sure if the reasons were legal or technical (or maybe even something else), but I know that it just wasn't possible for us to remove a shared account holder from an account. If the person was just an authorized user of an account (eg it was her account but he was able to use it to make purchases) then it was incredibly simple to remove them. I think the problem is with reporting to credit bureaus. If there was an easier way I'm sure the companies would be happy to do it, because they do lose business to people like your mom.

I used to work for a CC company, and in this particular case it probably just wasn't possible to change the account. I'm not sure if the reasons were legal or technical (or maybe even something else), but I know that it just wasn't possible for us to remove a shared account holder from an account. If the person was just an authorized user of an account (eg it was her account but he was able to use it to make purchases) then it was incredibly simple to remove them. I think the problem is with reporting to credit bureaus. If there was an easier way I'm sure the companies would be happy to do it, because they do lose business to people like your mom.

Interesting. Good to know. I have the impression that in my mother's case tho, if this were true, and maybe it was, it wasn't explained to her.

Wendy, I'm an attorney here in the St. Louis area. I don't do much probate stuff but I'd be happy to answer some questions for you to the best of my ability (free of charge of course). If you need a referral to a probate attorney to provide you with more in depth representation I know a very good one I would be happy to refer you to. Not sure if I can post my business number here so just shoot me a pm and I'll help to the extent I can.

Once again a great example of the great camaraderie here on the forum. I may take you up on that. Although there are a few fine men here in the local area who have been paid good money to handle this.

My Mom was very concerned I would deal with a bunch of trouble when she passed and took every measure to save me the greif. These companies are lucky I am stable. :cursing:

The bummer here is my parents paid to make sure that with a trust everything would go smooth. My Mom went through a nightmare when my Dad passed so when we found out about her cancer we did everything possible to make sure the business was covered from head to toe.

So I have had a heck of a time cancelling all of my Mom's credit cards, bank accounts, cable, phone etc.

To the point I am upset with myself for being honest with the companies. Had I called said I was Sue Moore and verified all of her info, everything would have went smooth and saved me a ton of work hours.

I am baffled at how hard it is to cancel a credit card if you say someone has passed.

As I have been transferring all business accounts form both names to just mine, I struggled finding one company. The support for our newsletter. I was denied access to the account due to account closed because there is $40 outstanding bill. Not that they care but there was non-payment because I cancelled the credit card. So one would think when I call the company to pay them their $40 and transfer account it would have been a quick call.

I offered to give them death certificate, social security numbers, EIN, articles of incorporation to prove I am only owner of company now, and a copy of her trust proving I am her trustee and need to handle her affairs.

In a word, yes.

I just deleted a long summary of what the final 10 years of my parents' lives was like and the personal toll it took on me, but suffice to say, I understand perfectly what you're going through.

Try to stay within yourself and muddle through this trying period without letting it ruin your life. Cemeteries are full of people who checked in early because they went beyond reasonable means to be conscientious.

I have been a member of this forum about 10 months and have often wondered what the demands are like to be a vendor in a specialty area like old-time shaving. I was 54-years-old and had never used a double edge razor, cream other than canned goop, or a brush. I depended on shaving vendors more than others to help me decide what I needed and how to use what I got. My first razor was defective and I kept trying to use it for several weeks. You have a tough job aside from the post-mortems in transferring over a business.

Hang in there.

I have given death and my business some thought. I have added my daughter to my personal and business checking accounts. I want to make sure she has access to my accounts in the event of my death. I told her not to worry about my credit cards. I usually carry very little debt. My will is up to date if something happens. Yes it's a nightmare when a loved one pass on.

I have given death and my business some thought. I have added my daughter to my personal and business checking accounts. I want to make sure she has access to my accounts in the event of my death. I told her not to worry about my credit cards. I usually carry very little debt. My will is up to date if something happens. Yes it's a nightmare when a loved one pass on.

You may want her to have access to your credit cards too. I have several checks from credit card companies that owed my Mom money. I can not cash because I have not set up a trust bank account for her yet. I have to dig up my Dad's death certificate to open the account?????

I will say I have cheated some and just deposited a few into our joint business account and signed over as trustee and they let them clear.

**** On a good note, I did gain access to our top secret newsletter without guessing her ice cream flavor correct. :thumbup:

Of all the possible things that could go wrong when someone dies, we had the most problems with DishNetwork. It was jointly in my mom and dad's names. When he died we attempted to remove his name from the account. They required 3 original copies of the death certificate. They would not remove his name, all they would do is close the account completely and reopen a new account in just my mom's name. When opening the account, we had to give them a credit card and pay several hundred dollars (new account cost, and first two months bill). Then about a week later we received a bill for the new account asking for even more money. They had opened the new account in my deceased father's name and not my mothers. To top it off, they shut off our service because my mom didn't have an account with them. Needless to say, we are now DirecTV customers. It took us nearly 3 months to get all our money back from DishNetwork.

It is crazy when you think how easy this should be. Seriously a cable provider? I am still fighting to cancel her car insurance. I have already taken posession of the vehicle, added it to my policy and sold one of my cars. But I have yet to get her insurance on the car cancelled. Instead of arguing and getting upset at the ins co, I decided I will just send them a copy of my declarations page and hers showing where a credit should be applied.

How long before her policy renews? Is it possible you could just let it run out and/or not pay it? If they don't get any money, they would most likely cancel the policy.

Top Bottom