What's new

Prison tech arrived today

WOW i got my VINTAGE GILLETTE PSYCHO TECH PRISON INMATE SAFETY RAZOR UNDERNEATH THE HEAD OF THE RAZOR THE LETTER "X" AND THE NUMBER "1". So this should put it at The first Quarter of 1952 , Really Heavy Piece, The Key is Extremely Solid and Heavy, guess it had to be well made since im sure Each Gard got one key for maybe 50 guys or more, Im Almost sure the prison would buy them in bulk with just a few key's that should save them some money, Sounds Logical Don't you think? Well guys here are some pics and a Video on YouTube, I made its just for my new friends at B&B, Enjoy :biggrin1:

YouTube Link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feN3kMv7CJw

Also include is a Picture of the President Y 2 along side the Psycho Tech for Comparison view on how much longer the Tech is with key in place.

Does Anyone know what the Psycho Tech was Coated with ?

I looked at the pictures and watched the video and I am a little confused. I didn't see any sort of blade alignment slots or holes, how is the blade held in alignment in the razor?

I looked at the pictures and watched the video and I am a little confused. I didn't see any sort of blade alignment slots or holes, how is the blade held in alignment in the razor?

With the corner tabs on the top cap, which in turn slot into the notches on the bottom plate.

Just look at the top Piece i took it off, flipped it over see The little 4 metal on all 4 corners, and also it has a slot that the blade slide into, just like any other Tech Razor, Except this one has a key, Checked the Alignment and it was fine. This Phyco Tech look Brand New, The pictures don't to it justice, i put it right next the the Rhodium President and looks just as good and minty as the President, im just wondering if the psycho Tech was Rhodium Plated as well, since it had to be handled so many times by prison Guards.

Congrats on the great scores.

Don’t carve this in stone but I think I read an account one time of a large number of Psychos found maybe even still in the box and the ratio of keys to razors was as you thought. Each box had ten or twelve razors and one key….something along those lines.

I have the Tech one and the Grafco one.

The Grafco (merkur) one is much nicer and heavier. Too nice for prisons, I think they're the coolest razors out there. Practical too if you have little ones running around.

I worry about company looking at my razors when they use my bathroom and getting sliced. I can picture the type of people who check your medicine cabinet would be silly enough to play with razor blades.

Luckily i don't have any kids, I know of, but I would feel better having a locking razor with youngins around for sure.

Congrats on the great scores.

Don’t carve this in stone but I think I read an account one time of a large number of Psychos found maybe even still in the box and the ratio of keys to razors was as you thought. Each box had ten or twelve razors and one key….something along those lines.

I saw a picture on E-bay last year of a seller selling this exact thing. It was a NOS box of 10 or so razors with one key. That was pretty cool.

Wow, that is how they secured razor blades in prisons back then. Now razors are contraband, inmates have to use depilatory cream specially made for male beards. It costs about $4 out of a jail or prison store. Never having been an inmate, I haven't used it to be able to tell you how it feels or works -- I would assume it would be similar to Nair, which is used by women to clear hair off of their legs.

the Gillette model doesn't add weight. the key is only used to change the blade.

Very cool indeed.

The Grafco looks just like a Merkur HD, but is impossible to get the cap off without the key. It's nicer looking, and heavier, but the Tech model is very awesome too.

Didn't know they had to use cream now. That must really suck for the guys who want their heads shaved.

Some prisoners have it better than some people. Hard to feel bad for them.

I prefer to call them 'psycho' razors. I can picture Jack Nicholson using one with a crazy glint in his eye. A little cooler than thinking of them as inmate razors\

Heres the grafco open comb I posted a couple days ago for a comparison.

proxy.php

:thumbup:

Got a closed comb one that's the same looking.

Thinking the key is after market, but don't care.

Really happy with mine! Haven't used it yet. Loving the finish and heft of mine.

The Tech psycho I got is cool, but it's feels really light in the handle and off balance.

That's great. Not something I would have thought of, but I guess this was really needed at some stage. The name makes the razor too!

Heres the grafco open comb I posted a couple days ago for a comparison.

proxy.php

Nice Thanks for the pic, Merkur makes nice one's but to be honest The Key looks like something a prisoner can Make out of a piece of Link Chain Gate's and there pretty easy in prison to come across one of those gates, i know if i was in jail i would be able to Duplicate the Grafco Key for sure, Also i like the Gillette one because the key is very Stylish and alot harder to Duplicate because the Actual key is inside the steel chamber which would be harder to duplicate if you ask me, but thanks for the pic, would love one of those merkur Grafco Open Comb, there Sexy. Let the Hunt Begin :001_smile

Top Bottom