What's new

Prime Rib Ordering

Gents,

Ouch's earlier thread about favorite and least favorite cuts of steak reminded me of a question I'd like to ask. I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago with some prime rib lovers (I occasionally order prime, as well). The waitress told them there were three cuts left and that she'd have to check to see if they could be temped lower than medium. Having worked in restaurants during college, I knew that the prime had to be prepared several hours before dinner service, if it wasn't left over from the day before, and I thought it nearly impossible that they'd even be able to find a medium cut. In my mind, there was absolutely no way those cuts of beef would've satisfied my palate.

My question to you all: When do you flatly refuse to order the prime rib?

Last edited:
If I order prime rib, then it is going to be from a place that I am familiar with and understand the time frame that the cut that I desire is available. I enjoy medium rare to rare cuts. If it goes towards medium and beyond, then no thanks. I understand that they could raise/lower temp of the meat, but do not understand how they could possibly offer it any less cooked than it already is (ie: changing the medium cut to medium rare) I don't think that I could palate "lukewarm" medium cut of prime rib :bored: Perhaps if it was my leftovers in a sandwich, then maybe, but to order it that way?! Yikes!

The only time I eat it is when it is cooked in my own home or at family or a friend's home. I only like my food cooked after I order it, when I dine out.

Last edited:
If I order prime rib, then it is going to be from a place that I am familiar with and understand the time frame that the cut that I desire is available. I enjoy medium rare to rare cuts. If it goes towards medium and beyond, then no thanks. I understand that they could raise/lower temp of the meat, but do not understand how they could possibly offer it any less cooked than it already is (ie: changing the medium cut to medium rare) I don't think that I could palate "lukewarm" medium cut of prime rib :bored: Perhaps if it was my leftovers in a sandwich, then maybe, but to order it that way?! Yikes!

My sentiment exactly. I think restaurants try to "pass off" their last cuts as medium rare or even rare, when that is impossible for them to do. The ends are always going to be done more than the middle, and the center cuts usually go first, IMO.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A good tip for those who don't like their prime rib too rare (I live with a couple of them):

a one second dip into a pot of au jus makes them look medium, but retains the juicy texture that fans of rare want.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Not sure I fully understand just what you are saying.
Are you talking about a rib sliced off a whole Prime Rib Roast that has been cooked and a single portion slice off or a single bone in Prime Rib cooked as a steak?
Cooked as a whole too me would not be the best for individual restaurant menu as there may be hours between it completing cooking and being served. This is a very nice cut and I enjoy it but don't think I would order it at a restaurant.
A Prime Rib Steak on the other hand I would order without hesitation from a restaurant.

I only order prime rib early in the night. Later on, you're getting less than the best (most of the time anyway)

I don't order Prime Rib out. If I eat Prime Rib it will be cooked by me and thus I don't have to make such decisions in restaurants. when eating steak out I order either Top sirloin or T-bone, and I give specific instructions on how it is to be cooked. I demand that NO seasonings whatsoever be put on the meat during cooking and that it be cooked no more than medium rare or rare depending on the restaurant. When it arrives I make the person who brought the food wait until I have cut and tasted the steak. 80% of the time it's right but that other 20% is usually awful. One big name chain steak house has a very bad habit of not following special instructions in the cooking of steaks and I have sent back as many 4 in a row.

Luckily I have a mom and pop style restaurant that makes great steaks from the best quality cuts. It aint cheap, but its worth the price paid. It amazes me how many chain restaurants don't use very good cuts or very high grade steaks. All the Really well known ones use pretty good meat but a couple of them most assuredly do not.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I went to Vegas back in 1991, before the big boom. All the hotels in the area would post their price of breakfast and dinner on their bill boards. The all you can eat breakfast buffet was $1.99 and the all you can eat prime rib was $4.99. We ordered and ate a lot of prime rib.

I'm in the small minority who prefer prime rib end cuts. I love the crisped outer portion of the prime rib...so I have no worries about ordering it in a restaurant.

If I order prime rib at a regular restaurant, I usually order it done medium and I usually get it that way.

If I order prime rib at a steak house, as soon as I walk in I ask if I can reserve an end cut. I love that crusty, salty pepper corn, end cut (it's usually well done). Many years ago I was taking a client out to dinner and we walked into Morton's Steak House. I ordered it that way and they brought out this huge hunk of meat. My client had drank a few glasses of wine before we got our food and after my plate arrived he looked at it and exclaimed "My God, that looks like my liver!"

At home, I bought three prime ribs while they were on sale at the supermarket over the holidays. I cut them up and trimmed them- I ended up with thirteen rib eye steaks and 7 or 8 ribs that are currently in the big freezer. I've only had one steak since and it was terrific!

If I order prime rib at a steak house, as soon as I walk in I ask if I can reserve an end cut. I love that crusty, salty pepper corn, end cut (it's usually well done). Many years ago I was taking a client out to dinner and we walked into Morton's Steak House. I ordered it that way and they brought out this huge hunk of meat.
End cut prime rib from Morton's is one of the best prime rib dinners I've eaten!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've never had truly excellent Prime Rib at a restaurant, save one .. White Oaks in Westlake Ohio, and that was 20 some years ago. Other places, including a couple of the Micky D style steakhouse chain stores, missed the mark so often that I won't order it anymore when dining out. Every other Christmas though, a nice "Prime" Prime goes on the Green Egg, and then it's back ..

I think as others have pointed out that Prime Rib is about timing, and a given the long roasting time and variation in ordering preferences at a restaurant it doesn't lend well to that setting.

Still and all, steaks are easier to prepare to your own or partner's liking.

This thread has me wondering the following. Why does there seem to be a general preference for rare or medium-rare prime rib roast, but I hear plenty of advice to cook the rib steak to medium (if not more) in order to break down connective tissue?

Top Bottom