What's new

Prime/Fixed lens users only?

Does anyone here shoot primarily with a fixed lens/prime lens only camera (ie. X100s, Sony FF 35mm cybershot)?

just curious if people have found it limiting or has it set them free from lugging around a zoom lens.

I'm thinking of getting an X-series camera and keeping a 23mm lens (35mm equiv.) on the front of it. I've read that photographers will shoot nothing but that and can go back and get beautiful "zoomed crops" later on if necessary due to the image quality of the x-trans sensors.

thoughts?

I only have one zoom lens and hardly ever use it. If I am planning on taking photos I will usually take a short, normal, and long lens (if I think I will need it, often it stays at home) with me. A zoom can be useful in certain situations like sports or candid photography, but otherwise I'd rather just have a lens that was designed to be the lens that it is. :001_smile

I shoot only primes, however I shoot with an RB67, so the weight portion is moot!

$5360251656_48a309089a.jpg
this is a RZ67 on the right. Size is just about the same as the RB. Regular film SLR for size comparison (this is just a pic pulled from the web)

No, always used fixed focal length lenses

Never had a problem capturing what I was after that could not be corrected in the darkroom (now photoshop).

I think using a fixed focal length makes you "think" rather than just click away hoping you might get something usable out of scores of attempts.

Working with sheet film made me: look/observe first, set up second, frame/compose third, take the shot last.

I use prime lenses. I have Pentax Limited series 21 mm F 3.2, 40mm F 2.8 and 70mm F 2.4. These lenses are wonderful. Picture quality is very sharp. They are very well built, aluminum bodies, the manual focus rings are silky smooth. They're not cheap.

I also have a 50 mm F 1.4 normal and a 50 mm F2.8 Macro....both Pentax. I also have a Leitz Elmar 50mm, F 3.5 for my Leica Rangefinder. All these lenses are very sharp.

In addition I have medium format, Mamiya-Sekor prime lenses..an 80mm normal, 55mm wide angle and 180mm super telephoto. Again excellent.

Don't know much about the X camera...isn't it a 4/3rds format....with a smaller sensor than a DSLR with a ASP-C or full frame sensor ?

Anytime you crop....you will lose some picture quality. The smaller the sensor the more apparent it will be. However photo quality can be subjective to a degree...it is in the eye of the beholder as to what constitutes a lesser quality photograph.

I like absolute sharpness....but I realize I may be in the minority and perhaps a bit obsessive about quality.

At one time zoom lenses were thought to not provide as sharp a picture as a prime. But IMO, modern technology and design has addressed that concern well...to the point that a good quality modern zoom will provide excellent sharpness. BTW, I've never been too impressed with any kit zoom...ie; 18-55 , etc. ...either Nikon, Pentax, Canon, etc.

I have modern zoom lenses. A few in particular...my Pentax 12-24mm, 10-17mm Fisheye zoom and my Sigma 150-500 mm all provide very sharp photos, particularly my Pentax 12-24mm. Modern zooms can be top notch lens that give little if anything away to a good prime. But get really good quality lenses and they aren't cheap. Also before you decide....check out reviews of the lenses you are considering.

Another advantage of a zoom...is that you have much more focal range than you would with a zoom. In other words much more likely that you can stand there and zoom in and out till you find the pix you want. With a prime it could be a lot of back and forth to frame your vision.

Last edited:
I use some fixed lens cameras and have some others where I only have one lens for them. If I don't have a specific goal in mind, I usually grab one of those.

I have fixed lens rangefinders that are wonderfully compact and easily toted along on a trip. Try an old film one, see if you like it.

-Xander

95+% of my shots are taken with a Prime lens- I have a broad selection (as well as a couple of zooms) but I would rather carry a camera and an extra lens rather than put a zoom on the camera.

I am not much of a photographer as I only shoot pics of my shaving gear for the SOTD, but I only use my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 manual lens on my NIkon D7000.

I purchased a Nikon F4 when they were first available in 1980 to replace my F3, and shot with only prime lenses for the next 25 years until I purchased my first digital camera, the Nikon D200 in 2005. There was a time when the quality of prime lenses far exceed the quality of zoom lenses, just as the quality of film exceeded the quality of digital formats. However, today's pro level zoom lenses are exceptional and I can't imagine going on a major shoot with only prime lenses. The only prime lenses that I currently use are a portrait lens and a macro lens, except for those rare occasions when I shoot with my F3 for old time's sake. A prime lens will get you to move your feet and teach perspective, but once the basics are learned, I want to use the product that produces the best results. On the other hand, one of my favorite photographers, Michael Kenna still uses an old Hasselblad with a fixed lens, develops his own film and makes his own prints.

I paid for college doing wedding photography with my F3 in the 70's, but also had to use flash bulbs in my flash as modern day electronic flashes weren't available. I'm nostalgic, but I do love modern day technology. I just wish that I were wealthy enough to keep up with it.

Legion

Staff member
Don't know much about the X camera...isn't it a 4/3rds format....with a smaller sensor than a DSLR with a ASP-C or full frame sensor ?

X camera's are APC-C, with a sensor that uses a random pixel design, which allows for the removal of the low pass filter, without the issue of moire. This gives the cameras greater resolving power than most full frame sensor cameras.

Prime lens shooter here. I love the sharpness, speed, and compact size of primes, and feel that makes up for any loss of "convenience". Zooms are usually either a bit soft and slow, or sharp(ish), really heavy, and really expensive. There are exceptions, but this is the usual issue. Most of the time you can walk back and forwards a bit.

My current walk around kit is the 35mm equivalent of 20mm, 50mm, and 90mm. That does me for most things. Bare in mind, I don't shoot a lot of sport or wildlife, so I don't need much tele.

Last edited:
I have three primes for my Nikons, 50mm, 40mm macro, 400mm telephoto.

I use them most of the time.

Legion

Staff member
Does anyone here shoot primarily with a fixed lens/prime lens only camera (ie. X100s, Sony FF 35mm cybershot)?

just curious if people have found it limiting or has it set them free from lugging around a zoom lens.

I'm thinking of getting an X-series camera and keeping a 23mm lens (35mm equiv.) on the front of it. I've read that photographers will shoot nothing but that and can go back and get beautiful "zoomed crops" later on if necessary due to the image quality of the x-trans sensors.

thoughts?

If you think you would be happy with a 35mm focal length don't hesitate to buy the x100s. The picture quality is fantastic, and they are a great size. I'm more a 50mm kind of guy, so I have held off getting one, but if they ever made one with a fiddy equivalent I would be on it like a seagull on a hot chip.

Top Bottom