What's new

Prickly mustache and goatee

Hello

Can anyone recommend something I can use to soften wiskers? Wife doesn't like prickly mustache and goatee.
Happy wife equals happy life.

Cheers
John

I shampoo and condition my moustache and goatee, just as I do the hair on my head.
The only complaint I've had in that regard is when I trim it close. Then it's a bit bristly.

let it grow out a bit. Once it is trimmed short it will be prickly, but after a couple of weeks the length will help it be less so.

Grow it to a length where the whiskers are long enough to lose their sharpness. Shampoo regularly and get yourself a good beard balm and/or beard oil. Comb and style daily.

EDIT: Some may contend beard balm and oil is unnecessary as regular conditioning like that on your head hair may suffice. Either way beard balms and oils are a neat little rabbit hole to travel down. Pinaud has a few new offerings that are very affordable and available in brick and mortar stores. It is pretty good stuff.

Last edited:
I soak mine down with conditioner while showering and then rinse it out. Beard hair takes a few minutes vs a few seconds with the hair on your head.

Thanks for the tips. I shave my head as well as around goatee daily. So the shampoo, conditioner option doesn't apply. Any suggestions on brick and mortar stores that might carry beard oil?

Cheers
John

Quick follow up question to the original post as this rather applies to me too, with a smaller beard such as discussed here would you recommend sticking with Beard Oils or do you feel that a Beard Balm is better? I'm figuring waxes are really somewhat overkill as wold seem to be more for larger beards and beard shaping.

Thanks

Quick follow up question to the original post as this rather applies to me too, with a smaller beard such as discussed here would you recommend sticking with Beard Oils or do you feel that a Beard Balm is better? I'm figuring waxes are really somewhat overkill as wold seem to be more for larger beards and beard shaping.

Thanks

I find the oils work better on the skin below and the balms soften the tips.

Allow it to grow out some and then treat it with some lanolin to keep it soft and supple just like Fabio's hair.

Do you trim the goatee/Van Dyke your self, or have it trimmed at a barbers?

I found when I did my own home trimming it always felt a little prickly, and not as soft as when the barber trimmed it with scissors.
Almost as if my home clippers were left a rough cut on the end of the whisker.

Thanks

This is a Pandora of a question, actually, because it all depends on the actual length.

Really short beards, where the hairs are all very close to the skin, an oil works best because the hair tends to all lay down in generally the correct direction, or they are short enough to stick straight out, in which case, trying to train them to lay down will simply not work.

Slightly longer beards, where the hair has some room to actually lift off the face, will benefit from a strong balm that will help to hold the hairs in place after brushing, and keep them laying flat.

Longer beards have the assistance of gravity, and you can usually get away with just oil as the longer the hair is, the better gravity works to hold it in place.

The 2 most important factors for a short beard, in my humble opinion, are oil and a boar brush. The brush will tame and train the hairs to lay where you want them, and the oil will soften and nourish the hair, making it nicer to feel, and smell amazing...

With all of that being said...there are very few "beard problems" that cannot be resolved by growing it just a little longer...:001_cool:

Last edited:
I've been using Clubman beard conditioner a couple days a week and I started using beard oil everyday. I've been rotating between Natural Man's Bay Lime oil and L&S beard oil. I use one drop a day, my beard isn't very long. It's made a big difference, whiskers are softer to the touch and my skin around the beard isn't dry any more.

Top Bottom