What's new

Prices on the Bay! Outrageous!

These prices & auctions on ebay are getting to be totally & out right disgusting! ANY razor that is in great condition is going for a premium! Although it maybe some cheapies there, but they are few & far in between.
They drive up the price, 2 to 3 days before the ending! Someone has to be TOP Dog, can't stand to see anyone outbid them by 50 cents with 3 days left in the auction. I"S NOT OVER YET!:tongue_sm DUH!
Then I come on here to the B/S/T and everything is gone in seems like seconds. Maybe I should hang around like a vulture in the B/S/T section, refreshing my brower ever 5 minutes in order to find a good deal. It's like National Geographic jungle week around here! You've seen it where one animal goes down then everybody else eats his azz! It's like that with ANY good deal, or even a fair deal! What's gotten into everyone?Will it ever let up? :cursing:

I know what you mean. I bought two slim adjustable Gillette DE razors about eight years ago and was a bit miffed that I had to pay nearly thirteen dollars apiece with cases. I mean, this was rummage sale stuff, not collectibles. There were millions and millions made, they show up on the 'bay EVERY DAY, and you still have people driving the prices through the roof. Must be "vintage" and "classic" you know. I grew up using these things. They are NOTHING special other than a trip down memory lane. I am amazed by the prices. I have not used one but if I spend north of fifty dollars for a razor it is going to be one of the gorgeous Edwin Jagger models. BTW, right after I bought those two razors I stopped by an antique store inquiring about DE razors and the guy gave me a cigar box full, including an adjustable, just to get rid of them. My how times have changed. Seriously though, I hear you about StupidBay.

Regards, Todd

Bid low and bid often. Eventually you'll get a nice razor at a good price. For common razors anyway have a price in mind, set a snipe and if you win great. If not, there is always another razor.

It took me 4 months to finally score a Breidor Straight that I'd been coveting for awhile. I had a price in mind that I was willing to pay, would set my snipe and lose. They show up weekly from the same seller, so every time I would set the same snipe. Took me 4 months, but I finally got the razor I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

It's all about patience in this game.

If it keeps me from buying any more razors, I'm all for it.:001_rolle

Actually, I've stopped even looking for the time being, but anything that reduces the temptation is fine with me.

There are always deals to be had if you know where to look and put a little bit of time into it.

Try posting in the WTB section and see if that does anything for you.

Last edited:
Found my Gilette Tech w/box for $13 shipped. It's a matter of setting your personal max and sticking to it. :001_smile

I just bought an unused Schick L-1 Injector for $0.99. That was less than it cost new.

Also, if you think the prices are too high, you only have yourselves to blame. As more and more people learn about wet shaving and how good some vintage razors are it drives up demand which drives up prices. If you think the prices are too high, don't bid. Personally, after buying the aforementioned Schick L-1; which is the razor I learned to shave with, I am done buying vintage razors. I have a birth year Slim, my Father's Schick J-1, a J-3 Golden 500, a 1955 Superspeed and two Techs, one a travel ball end and the other a regular ball end. I think that is enough for me. I think I spent a grand total of $65.00 for all of them. What is that, an average of $9.30 a piece plus shipping?

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I bought two slim adjustable Gillette DE razors about eight years ago and was a bit miffed that I had to pay nearly thirteen dollars apiece with cases. I mean, this was rummage sale stuff, not collectibles. There were millions and millions made, they show up on the 'bay EVERY DAY, and you still have people driving the prices through the roof. Must be "vintage" and "classic" you know. I grew up using these things. They are NOTHING special other than a trip down memory lane. I am amazed by the prices. I have not used one but if I spend north of fifty dollars for a razor it is going to be one of the gorgeous Edwin Jagger models. BTW, right after I bought those two razors I stopped by an antique store inquiring about DE razors and the guy gave me a cigar box full, including an adjustable, just to get rid of them. My how times have changed. Seriously though, I hear you about StupidBay.

Regards, Todd

Maybe they need to attend classes on how to bid on silent auctions! I believe it's getting worst. The prices are rising through the roof! A uncased President in great shape was over 100 bucks & the auction still had 1 day to go. I could go on & on & on on different models. Everything is RARE! Yea, very RARE, rightttt!:blink: It must be out that if you call whatever razor you're selling RARE, then those shaving guys will pay alot for it.:lol: Now I have had some luck, but most of my razors I had to pay through the nose for them. Like you said , "times are ah changin"

Joe should know. They have a dedicated PO Box at eBay headquarters with his name on it.

lol, let's just say I've never met my postman but talked to him on the phone recently about a lost package. He said he has a separate bin in his truck for my stuff. That should be a sign to me....:blushing:

The prices are rising through the roof! A uncased President in great shape was over 100 bucks & the auction still had 1 day to go. I could go on & on & on on different models.

There are deals to be had, but there are certain models that can just go to outrageous prices. Yes, a President could get out of hand - I expect it to if it is in good condition. Same with a Double Ring or even a good looking FatBoy etc.

But if all you want to do is find a razor in good condition, there are Old Types, SuperSpeeds, Techs, and News to be had for a fair price. If you want a SE, you may be able to pick it up for a couple of paperclips and a button.

lol, let's just say I've never met my postman but talked to him on the phone recently about a lost package. He said he has a separate bin in his truck for my stuff. That should be a sign to me....:blushing:

That's just a sign that you have an organized postman. :001_smile

On the positive side, now is a great time to sell. :thumbup:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That's just a sign that you have an organized postman. :001_smile

On the positive side, now is a great time to sell. :thumbup:

Guess it's time to put my dozen Gillette's on the bay, make up some" facts" about how rare they are, and plan my retirement to that tropical paradise I always wanted to live in.

S

surpera1

what ticks me off is all the nibblers driving up the price days in advance of the end of the auction

I've been trying to find a few vintage Gillette's (nothing fancy, a user grade Fatboy and Red Tip for now). There's plenty on BST, but they always say ***sold when I see them. However, there are plenty on ebay, but when bids start 3x higher than the going price around here I see no reason to even entertain the idea.

Top Bottom