What's new

Price is Not a Object

The problem is, it's highly subjective, or as we say here YMMV.

Some people like large blade gap, some like small. Some prefer positive blade exposure, others neutral or negative. When you mix in the blade gap, blade exposure, razor's weight, handle's length and technique (steep / neutral / shallow) you end up with a LOT of combos.

The problem is, no one knows in advance what will suit them "best", it's a lot of trial and error before you find what truly suits you. Some people never do.

My advice, if you want SS, would be to go with RazorRock. They manufacture great SS razors at a very reasonable price point. Once you develop the feel for what your preferences are in terms of gap, exposure and weight, you can THEN opt for a razor of similar characteristics from one of the more premium (posh) brands.

Or like @Tomo said - buy them all, sell what you don't like 😉

The problem is there is not one "best". Spending a bunch of money does not mean you will like the expensive razor more than one that costs less. My favorite razors are nickel plated brass and cost less than $30. One of them is probably 80 years old, also.

The other thing I should mention is that your technique is more important than equipment. When you improve your shaving skill you improve every razor you use.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The problem is, it's highly subjective, or as we say here YMMV.

Some people like large blade gap, some like small. Some prefer positive blade exposure, others neutral or negative. When you mix in the blade gap, blade exposure, razor's weight, handle's length and technique (steep / neutral / shallow) you end up with a LOT of combos.

The problem is, no one knows in advance what will suit them "best", it's a lot of trial and error before you find what truly suits you. Some people never do.

My advice, if you want SS, would be to go with RazorRock. They manufacture great SS razors at a very reasonable price point. Once you develop the feel for what your preferences are in terms of gap, exposure and weight, you can THEN opt for a razor of similar characteristics from one of the more premium (posh) brands.

Or like @Tomo said - buy them all, sell what you don't like 😉

Or, buy them all and keep them all and clutter up your wife's life.

Hint: This works better if SWMBO has an expensive hobby herself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Or, buy them all and keep them all and clutter up your wife's life.

Hint: This works better if SWMBO has an expensive hobby herself.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I know.

I HAD to marry a rich skinflint.

With NO hobbies.

And I'm more of a girl than she is.

You name it, I've got more of it than she does.

Except skirts, I suppose.

Life is rough, I tell ya!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Many of us have long since found said razor, but still keep buying new ones anyway!
A few, very few, have stopped once we had the razor we thought, for our personal needs, was "it." Sometimes it sticks. Sometimes it doesn't. Getting a razor that can be modified by changing plates may be an outlet for RAD. I know I enjoy different plates.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If money is no object, then Wolfman. Absolutely. No contest for me. But while you’re waiting the 7 months for your name to come up on the wait list, you can try all the other razors mentioned here. There are lots of great ones. Timeless, Blackland, etc. all good.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Even when money is no object, the best razor is the one that shaves you best.

That is so true. If I didn’t have a couple of swirling trouble spots on my neck and jawline I would be very happy to shave with a sub-$20 vintage Gillette for the rest of my life. But because I illogically strive for that perfect shave, I need to delve into these high priced, over engineered works of art that we call modern high end razors. I am uber jealous of the guys that can easily get a BBS from a run of the mill Tech on every shave. But unfortunately I am not built that way. If I could just live with a couple of dime sized exceptions to my otherwise BBS results, it would have saved me thousands of dollars. But on the flip side, I really do derive a lot of pleasure from shaving, my razor collection, the hunt for rare and obscure razors, and the pursuit of the perfect shave. If I got a perfect shave every time from any decent razor, this hobby probably wouldn’t be as passionate for me.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I've only been wet shaving since 2012 and still think my dad's pre-war Gillette Tech is one of my favorite razors.
As this is a DE thread, only DE listed for now, and others include:
Pils
BBS-1
Rocnel 2019 LE
Blackland
Timeless
Karve
Feather AS-D2

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm a Noob to wet shaving. I've been to about all online retailers looking at stain steel. Of course which brands they sell are the best money can buy. Can I gets some feed back as what you feel is the best Stain Steel razors on todays market.

For me it would be Wolfman.

Do you like heavy or light?
Long handle or short?
Large blade gap or smaller?

If you can't answer all of these questions I recommend an ATT Windsor (I'd start with the R). They have a 90 day exchange period, which is pretty darn generous (just in case you make the wrong choice). And you won't have to wait 7 months to get one.

Top Bottom