What's new

Price is Not a Object

I'm a Noob to wet shaving. I've been to about all online retailers looking at stain steel. Of course which brands they sell are the best money can buy. Can I gets some feed back as what you feel is the best Stain Steel razors on todays market.

Pardon my impertinence, but are you sure you need "the best, most expensive" right now? If a driver is new, a brand-new Bentley might not be the best choice. And what's "best" for you isn't necessarily "best" for someone else, and vice versa.

Since you're new to this, I suggest getting a razor that lets you understand what you like and what you don't like. The Rockwell 6S will fit the bill. For roughly $100, you'll get several plates to play with and learn how much aggression and blade feel you like.

Of course, it's your money. You can always splash out $250 for a Rex, and I know that there's at least one $500+ Wolfman razor being made...

I have two of the razors on Whiterook's list, the Rex and 6S, both excellent shavers. I also have an assortment of classic Gillette adjustables the oldest of which is a 62 year old 195 and all of them shave as well as or better in some cases than the modern SS ones. My point is, unless you are begging someone to take your money, great shaves can be had for a fraction of the cost by exploring the classic razor market. While not made of SS, they ARE, in most cases, nickel plated brass if original. Of course, the sky's the limit on refurbished/replated models. Still less expensive than an über high-end boutique razor too.

I'm a Noob to wet shaving. I've been to about all online retailers looking at stain steel. Of course which brands they sell are the best money can buy. Can I gets some feed back as what you feel is the best Stain Steel razors on todays market.
a bit newer to this I have a timeless Ti love it great build great shave also have a rex ambassador and about 7 or so others IMHO its not about money its about what you like BUT the nicer builds IMHO are worth it when you think $250-$350 for something you use every day or every other day etc... but we shave for the rest of our life most of us compared to what a fridge or phone cost these days buy what you love BUT IMHO you need to try a bunch and know what you love some say buy one master but IMHO that is flawed thinking and the same reason skiing has demo days to try a bunch of skis boots to find what works for you this is the same as many other sports or things I have been into and then master that best choice ! the resale on nice gear seems to be quite good so figure it might take a bit to try but again that is what we work for and to many this is a hobby as much as it is a daily routine :)
after a few months I am now to dialing in the blade choices and figure in a while I can circle back on some of the other razors again for fun but am loving the timeless razors :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Let's talk a little about your beard, skin and also discuss what you mean by "noob"?

Please elaborate so I can provide you with a more informed opinion. Otherwise, I'm playing darts blindfolded. ;)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
a bit newer to this I have a timeless Ti love it great build great shave also have a rex ambassador and about 7 or so others IMHO its not about money its about what you like BUT the nicer builds IMHO are worth it when you think $250-$350 for something you use every day or every other day etc... but we shave for the rest of our life most of us compared to what a fridge or phone cost these days buy what you love BUT IMHO you need to try a bunch and know what you love some say buy one master but IMHO that is flawed thinking and the same reason skiing has demo days to try a bunch of skis boots to find what works for you this is the same as many other sports or things I have been into and then master that best choice ! the resale on nice gear seems to be quite good so figure it might take a bit to try but again that is what we work for and to many this is a hobby as much as it is a daily routine :)
after a few months I am now to dialing in the blade choices and figure in a while I can circle back on some of the other razors again for fun but am loving the timeless razors :)

That's some great advice!

But man, that was exhausting to read.
Feel free to borrow a few of these, I had some spares!

. , ! ? - :

:lol:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have not tried most of the razors already mentioned, but I have an Above the Tie Windsor. I use a Kronos handle because I like a heavier razor and because I find the knurling provides a better grip than that on the barber pole handle. I have three plates, the stainless steel regular plate with which it came and two copper plates, one mild and one regular. All three plates provide superb close shaves with no nicking and great comfort. With a Nacet I prefer the mild plate, and with Crystals and PIRs I prefer the regular. With GSBs either is terrific. The finish on Above the Tie razors is quite nice. The copper plates are discontinued, but they pop up on the "returns" portion of Above the Tie's website. They look quite striking and shave quite well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm sure you're confused by this point.

If so, join the crowd. A great many of us are looking for the Pegasus Unicorn Razor which is perfectly comfortable, easy to use, beautiful, not prone to biting, feels smooth on our skin, and delivers a long lasting, very smooth, bloodless shave, without irritation, on a consistent basis.

Many of us are also afflicted with RAD and also razor ADD both of which may interfere with our quest.

Then there's the hobbyist aspect to say nothing of collecting and metals other than SS.

Good luck (and I'm not being sarcastic).

Happy shaves,

JIM

What Hannah’s Dad mentioned would be the pinnacle of razors, but you would be waiting 8 months or so to get one.

As a “noob” I would suggest, if money is no object, going Timeless get a Titanium

Crown handle
Scalloped cap
Base for handle

Then four different base plates

.68 gap solid or open comb
.95 gap solid bar
.95 gap open comb
.5 slim

You sell what you do not like on this forum

Also put your name on the list for a Wolfman, the wait is about 6 to 8 months

Doug

I am probably one of the few that has only one razor
the one I have is the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.35 gap, I use my Timeless Crown 👑 Handle with it.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're confused by this point.

If so, join the crowd. A great many of us are looking for the Pegasus Unicorn Razor which is perfectly comfortable, easy to use, beautiful, not prone to biting, feels smooth on our skin, and delivers a long lasting, very smooth, bloodless shave, without irritation, on a consistent basis......
Many of us have long since found said razor, but still keep buying new ones anyway!

Top Bottom