What's new

Price creep?

Put it this way, I have purchased about 25 soaps that I do not consider worthy of use. However, since learning what to look for in a soap as far as ingredients and scent notes, my success rate in selecting great soaps has improved tremendously. I have about 100 soaps in my den that I consider to be excellent and another 50 that are very good soaps, but not quite up to my standards.
I must admit, recently I've been alternating between Tabac and tallow formula aloe vera Haslinger, and while both work well for me, and both are reasonably priced (even in the US, they are probably much less in the EU), no question Tabac performs better, if only slightly. When I could buy Proraso at $5 per tub, that was adequate, but for $10, I'd expect better. I tried a number of high end artisan soap samples included in a pass around razor trial here, and they were all much too strongly scented for me and quite unpleasant. Tabac when fresh also was too strong, disgusting, even, but it was fine after a few weeks. I prefer unscented soap (though sometimes that has an unpleasant chemical smell). Probably the best I've tried so far is WSP Rustic. Do you have any top unscented choices?
Ā 
I tried many artisanal soaps, paying up to ā‚¬20 but currently my favorite soaps are Palmolive Stick, La Toja Stick, Haslinger and Razorock WTP. I'm waiting for a Mitchell Wool Fat puck to try. The new superfat artisanal soaps are not for me, I don't need super moisturizing ingredients or strong perfumes, for those I use a Cologne or an EDT. I am very sad about the reformulation of Fine soaps.
Ā 
I tried many artisanal soaps, paying up to ā‚¬20 but currently my favorite soaps are Palmolive Stick, La Toja Stick, Haslinger and Razorock WTP. I'm waiting for a Mitchell Wool Fat puck to try. The new superfat artisanal soaps are not for me, I don't need super moisturizing ingredients or strong perfumes, for those I use a Cologne or an EDT. I am very sad about the reformulation of Fine soaps.

I didn't tried it but Meissner Tremonia makes an unscented soap, called Pure. Their soaps have excellent performance. Haslinger Sandalwood is very mild. Vitos Red if left open for a few weeks loses its scent almost completely and it is very cheap and excellent performer.
Ā 
Agreed. I have very dry skin and need to use a moisturizer, especially in the winter, but I don't need it in my shave soap.
Ā 
Here is another aspect that is easy to overlook - portion sizes.

(Hypothetical, but I can assure you it is out there) A company that used to offer five ounces of product for $17.00 has kept its price the same but now they put four ounces in the tub. Stealth price hike.

A slightly different wrinkle is selling by the milliliter. Rather than four ounces of a product the bottle holds 100 ml. Guess what? That is only 3.38 ounces. Stealth price hike.

It hasn't been that long ago that ice cream was sold by the half gallon. Then a few years ago with ingredient costs going up the containers shrank to what they are today. Consumer surveys revealed that people will pay so much for ice cream, period. So the manufacturers geared the containers to hit that price point. Stealth price hike.

It seems that consumers will pay more for an item but only when it is somewhat camouflaged. And mind you, consumers know what is going on - they know the ice cream container is smaller. And they will buy even when they are aware of what is going on.
Try putting a modern bag of microwave popcorn in an older microwave oven with a standard "popcorn" setting. You'll end up with a charcoal briquet. The old setting is for a minimum 3.5 oz bag, but modern bags range from 1.95 to 3.25 (not including "mini" bags).
Ā 
Agreed. I have very dry skin and need to use a moisturizer, especially in the winter, but I don't need it in my shave soap.

I have dry sensitive skin. When I use a high quality soap, I have no need for preshave products or post shave moisturizers. My only aftershave product is witch hazel. The only time I use a post shave balm is if the temperature is below 10 degrees F and with the very best soaps in my den, it is not even necessary then. There is nothing wrong with what you do, but you have to be careful that the overall cost does not exceed the cost of a great soap.
Ā 
I have dry sensitive skin. When I use a high quality soap, I have no need for preshave products or post shave moisturizers. My only aftershave product is witch hazel. The only time I use a post shave balm is if the temperature is below 10 degrees F and with the very best soaps in my den, it is not even necessary then. There is nothing wrong with what you do, but you have to be careful that the overall cost does not exceed the cost of a great soap.
Yes, I know there is nothing wrong with what I do. I inherited a condition from my father where my hands, and even my face, peel, crack and bleed, especially in the winter. (For example, when he entered the military, his fingerprints were rejected and had to be done over.) Back when I did a lot of outdoor athletic things, and this skin condition was a major problem, I used a prescription cortisone cream. Nowadays, I find unscented Aveeno, or the generic equivalent, does the trick. Fancy moisturizers are purely for fun as far as I'm concerned, though no doubt their quality is high, and I'll probably try them from time to time. I like Nivea aftershave balm, and I stocked up on it at $4 per bottle, but even that wasn't a strictly necessary expense.
Ā 

shavefan

Iā€™m not a fan
European drugstore software for the win, itā€™s still super cheap on a cost/shave basis even if they were to double the price!

Right?

When I started DE shaving, about a decade ago, Spieck shave stick was about $5. Today it's about $6. I'm lucky I guess because it's one of my favorite soaps. Arko is still super cheap, as low as a $buck a stick. La Toja stick, about $5. Palmolive, $3-$4. And these are USD prices.

Artisan soaps have rarely been about value IME.
Ā 
I have noticed the price hike compared to a decade ago, but as with many others afflicted, I could stop buying soap tomorrow and still leave some for my yet to be born grandchildren. at the end of the day shaving soap is still a rather affordable luxury, the nice part is if you want to save a few bucks buy a stick of Arko or Palmolive but if you want to buy a more expensive artisan soap go for it, it's nice to see options out there and if paying a few bucks extra keeps it that way oh well. The progress of the traditional shaving market is a good thing, I can find a Gillette DE at Walmart again
Ā 
@JWCowboy and @shavefan both nail it and I agree. It begs the question: So then, what is it about?

I believe it is about variety. Mixing it up, each morning is a new day with what you are going to use. It never was about the money, it is about the experience.
You may be in the business and have to say that, but it is also absolutely, 100 percent correct. I remember stopping with my daughter in a large store, part of a large national chain, that contained nothing but women's 'beauty' products (as they are known in the industry, no sexism intended), and I was surprised to see how large a proportion of them were in the skin care category. Also, absolutely nothing for men, except perhaps the transgender variety (again, no offense intended). Why do men have to make do with Vaseline, Chapstick and Barbasol?
Ā 
Why do men have to make do with Vaseline, Chapstick and Barbasol?

Having had some amazing shaves with Barbasol Foam recently, Iā€™m starting to feel a little dumb for spending all the money I did on brushes and not-even-fancy European drug store softwares! Oh right, I did that because I was trying to protect my face from my aggressive ā€œartisanalā€ modern fancy heavy stainless steel razor, thatā€™s why!

Ok let me shut up before I get myself kicked out of here.
Ā 
Having had some amazing shaves with Barbasol Foam recently, Iā€™m starting to feel a little dumb for spending all the money I did on brushes and not-even-fancy European drug store softwares! Oh right, I did that because I was trying to protect my face from my aggressive ā€œartisanalā€ modern fancy heavy stainless steel razor, thatā€™s why!

BudgetShaverGuy, living up to his name... šŸ˜‚
Ā 

I know a lot of shavers who think the single blade makes all the difference in shave quality; for me, I still think the lather matters a bit. However, I could do with Barbasol foam and a good double-edge if I only cared about getting a good shave, i.e. results. However, I do care about process, and for that reason prefer a brush and soap to canned foam (I also do think it shaves a bit better).

Now, that said, I can be more than passable with a single pass from a cheap, mild DE and some foam. Not BBS, but certainly good enough to go about my business. I'll keep rolling with my stainless razor and my brush(es), but yeah, Barbasol and a Tech would be okay.
Ā 
I know a lot of shavers who think the single blade makes all the difference in shave quality; for me, I still think the lather matters a bit. However, I could do with Barbasol foam and a good double-edge if I only cared about getting a good shave, i.e. results. However, I do care about process, and for that reason prefer a brush and soap to canned foam (I also do think it shaves a bit better).

Now, that said, I can be more than passable with a single pass from a cheap, mild DE and some foam. Not BBS, but certainly good enough to go about my business. I'll keep rolling with my stainless razor and my brush(es), but yeah, Barbasol and a Tech would be okay.
Noxzema was my favorite canned foam, though Barbasol was OK, too. As I've already mentioned in this thread, I have skin problems that most likely are well beyond those of most members here who claim to have "sensitive" skin. In the 6-7 years since I've switched over completely to DE razors, hard shave soap, creams and brushes, my skin on my face and neck where I shave has become vastly healthier. I'll never, ever return to canned foam and use multiblade disposables only when necessary on the road. My favorite brand of multiblade disposable? Barbasol. I think they're made in Korea.
Ā 
Top Bottom