What's new

Prewar vs. Postwar Tech

I have a question for those knowledgeable about Tech history and construction.

I have a postwar Tech that is the closest thing I have found to a perfect razor. I shave with it daily. Its gentle and efficient.

I have a prewar Tech that I never liked. I haven't used it for more than a year so I thought I would give it another chance. I loaded it with a new Astra SS (same blade I use in the postwar) and gave it a try. It definitely has more blade feel, left a couple of weepers and generally a rougher face feel. Not a terrible shave but not one I want to repeat every day.

Why such a dramatic difference? I visually inspected both of them with a blade loaded. Looking at the end of the blade at the prewar I can daylight between the top of the blade and the bottom of the cap. With the postwar there was none.

4053024946_db1762e0f4.jpg

In this picture my postwar is like the second from the left. The curve of the base plate matches the curve of the cap.

Was the base plate changed for the post war techs? Is that the cause of the difference?

Thanks!

Was the base plate changed for the post war techs? Is that the cause of the difference?
Yes. The post war is an improved design that clamps the blade better than the pre-war, making for a smoother shave

Many here prefer the pre-war Tech. I’m not one of them. The post war Tech is likely the best selling safety razor in the history. This design has sold for decades without a single tweak and across multiple countries. It’s arguably one of the best safety razors ever made.

Enjoy your post war Tech!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The great Pre-War vs. Post-War Tech Debate..... ;)

The Tech is one of my favorite razors and the Canadian Pre-War Tech is one of my favorite Techs.

Yup.....I know that the Post-War Tech clamps the blade a bit better. I just prefer the feel and the results I get from the Canadian Pre-War Tech.

The English Tech/New Hybrid and the German #34 Tech are my best Techs, followed by the Canadian Pre-War. The Post-War Tech, English Flat Bottom Tech and mid-1950s English #24 style Tech are also excellent and in my Tech rotation. All of these Techs will give you a great shave.

As with all things shaving, just my opinion and YMMV. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I doubt that there is a better, more instinctive razor than the humble post war Tech. Almost impossible to hurt yourself with. If I had to pick only one, I'd have a real difficult time choosing between that one and the Gillette New Long Comb. BOTH extremely easy to use on my incredibly handsome face!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have both pre and post war Techs and I can't notice the differences between the two. Both feel mild but I can get a BBS with some buffing.
I'm with you. I don't see what all the fuss is about, they're so close to the same I'd probably fail a blind test.

I shaved with a later zamak top-cap English tech for years back in the eighties and nineties back when I only had two DE razors (the other was a Krona). Loved that little aluminum handle tech. Then I got a Super Speed flare tip, then I joined B&B, then ....

With my heavy black beard I can feel the difference between the prewar and the postwar clearly. It's day and night. I prefer the prewar although I don't shave with it often.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
With the aid of my dear friend John @JCinPA I should be getting 3 Techs:

- Fat Handle pre-war 1938-1945 (to be replated)
- Fat Handle Mid 1950s (to be replated)
- Ball End Aluminum Handle 1970s (NOS)

Among these 3 which is, in your opinion, the mildest?

As a reference point I currently only own a 1958 Ball End Tech (thanks again Matthew @Pressroll !) and love it.

I have both a pre-war and post-war Tech. I find the post-war to be a bit milder. I found a NOS post-war Tech on Etsy and it is one of my favorite razors. As others have said, I have paired the Techs with Feather blades and get outstanding shaves with them.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have both a pre-war and post-war Tech. I find the post-war to be a bit milder. I found a NOS post-war Tech on Etsy and it is one of my favorite razors. As others have said, I have paired the Techs with Feather blades and get outstanding shaves with them.

Jim, a very mild razor loaded with a very sharp blade is my perfect combo, too! :thumbup:

I regularly use one of each. If I had to choose one, it would be my pre-WW2 but not by much. The difference is noticeable but small. As others say, my post-WW2 razor (ball handle, 1970 vintage) is a bit milder and less efficient. But blade choice swamps that difference.

I used a flat bottom Tech for awhile. For me it’s performance was very good but well behind my other Techs—a bit rougher but less efficient than both. So I sold it. Others love these razors.

I’m guessing that Techs have major sample-to-sample variations, in addition to differences among razors manufactured in different places. They were inexpensive, mass market tools, not precision equipment. That factor could explain some of the differences in preference. The rest is just YMMV.

With the aid of my dear friend John @JCinPA I should be getting 3 Techs:

- Fat Handle pre-war 1938-1945 (to be replated)
- Fat Handle Mid 1950s (to be replated)
- Ball End Aluminum Handle 1970s (NOS)

Among these 3 which is, in your opinion, the mildest?

As a reference point I currently only own a 1958 Ball End Tech (thanks again Matthew @Pressroll !) and love it.
To me there’s no discernible difference between the prewar and postwar versions of the techs. The fat handle and ball end techs from the 50s should be identical in performance. The 70s aluminum tech is a touch milder but way too light for me

I apologize if this isn’t the best place to ask but I have a post-war travel tech. Is the head the same as a normal ball end handled one? I’m not interested in using the tiny handle so if it’s the same head then I’ll just see if I can find the longer handle. Or is it better to buy a complete one? Probably dumb questions but I was hoping someone else has run into this situation before. Thanks!

Top Bottom