What's new

Preventing rust and pitting: Vaseline vs. baby oil vs. camellia oil

I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol just for my razors- I stick the razor in all the way, swirl the bottle with the razor spinning in it for a second then pull it out and let it air dry in a dry bowl or scuttle. When dry, dip the blade in about an inch into mineral oil. Carefully spread it around- all over. Once coated, use 1 square of toilet paper to wipe off the excess. You’re solid. Now- if you don’t use it for several weeks, eventually the moisture will build or take its toll. It gets you between shaves- it’s not a long storage method. Enjoy!

Dry with a micro fiber towel including running the towel between the scales to reach the pivot and pack it in one of my seven day faux leather cases with a sheet of VCI.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My vote... for long term storage, petroleum jelly. For daily use, baby oil. Though I know some folks don't like the idea of using baby oil. But hey, it's not like they are an endangered species or anything...
It took a while but I finally got it and can't stop laughing.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi,

I live in the midwest where it is super humid (94% humidity last week...yuck!) Anyways, I want to prevent rust and pitting. I know camellia oil will do the trick, but does anyone use vaseline petroleum jelly or baby oil with similar success? I want to avoid buying camellia oil if I have to, as I move around frequently and it is just one more thing to pack.

Thanks!
I live in a humid area but have never used any kind of lubricant. After I shave, I dry the blade then leave it open on the sink and have yet to have a problem.

I live in a humid area but have never used any kind of lubricant. After I shave, I dry the blade then leave it open on the sink and have yet to have a problem.
Same here. However I do have air conditioning, which dries the air. Plus I remove the razors from the bath area after use. Still, no preservatives are applied to the steel.

Top Bottom