What's new

Pretty close to buying my first meerschaum

Was in my local smoking hole the other day, when the manager brought out a nice Ismet-Bekler meerschaum for a really good price. Right now I have about 6 pipes, but they are all briars. Been toying with buying a meerschaum but never really been this close. What (other than the coloring) is different than smoking a briar?

The weight. They are extremely light and easy to clench. Love my Meer. Will probably be buying another.

Was in my local smoking hole the other day, when the manager brought out a nice Ismet-Bekler meerschaum for a really good price. Right now I have about 6 pipes, but they are all briars. Been toying with buying a meerschaum but never really been this close. What (other than the coloring) is different than smoking a briar?

They are more fragile. Some say they give the cleanest tobacco flavor. For me they seem to mellow out blends. Heavy blends seem more smooth. But some lighter blends seem too light and less flavorful sometimes. They don't ghost as easily but they can. Also they don't burn. No worries about burnout. I'm sure there is more I am forgetting haha.

Because they absorb moisture, they kind of self filter and smoke drier for longer. There isn't a huge difference, really. I love my meers...love them...but don't expect huge difference. And, most of the smoking-property differences you can get with a corn cob. Buy one because you want a Meerschaum.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Consider just another cool pipe to smoke your tobacco in. If you get a better smoke out of it, even better!

I think a meer would be a nice change. I like them for they're clean and dry smoking properties and resistance to ghosting. Certain Virginias just taste so good in a meer. Its worth having at least one in your collection. I think you would enjoy it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You don't have to break the bank to get into meers either, you may want to start with something like a Strambach (sp?) to see if it appeals to you and experience the difference.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Smokingpipeliner on YouTube swears by meer Pipes. He jokes around a lot so it’s hard to parse out what he really thinks sometimes tho.

I say go for it. Every collection needs meer, clay, cob, briars, maples, cherry, bog oak, rose, pear, and I am sure I am missing some of my odd materials as well. It is like aftershaves, razors, soaps, cigars, firearms, once you start collecting something just happens to us lol

Also smoking a meer indoors having it well heated and then going out side the camp to take leak when it is -10°f is a sure way to have a bowl crack into pieces.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I think Meers can also be smoked repeatedly, without needing to rest the bowl. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken?

Top Bottom