What's new

Preshave product question?

I know alot of members use various pre-shave products like Proraso Pre/Post or Preshave oil, I do from time to time too. It occured to me that if you apply these products first and than layer your shave cream over them, isn't the quality of your shave more dependent on the lubricating/moisurizing characteristics of the preshave than it is on the shave cream itself. And if so, does the quality of the shave cream you layer over the pre-shave matter at all?

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

It would add a certain lubricating texture to your shaving cream and help the blade glide through your whiskers better. Yes.
Personally the better quality the shaving cream you can get, more power to you. Just remeber not to layer on the shaving cream to thick, as you will find yourself pushing a bit harder on the blade, which may irritate your skin.

I'm fairly new to wet shaving, (~4weeks) so I may be using it incorrectly but here is what I do.

Hot, wet towel on my face for about 2 min.
Apply Prorasso pre-shave balm.
Rub it in VERY well.
Hot. wet twel on my face for about 2 min.
Splash of hot water on the face and apply shaving cream.

I may be mis-using the preshave but it has worked well for me so far. I think the pre shave is absorbed by the skin/hair even though I apply a hot towel afterward. The hot towel may even aid in absorbtion of the pre-shave product.

Again YMMV

BGog said:
I'm fairly new to wet shaving, (~4weeks) so I may be using it incorrectly but here is what I do.

Hot, wet towel on my face for about 2 min.
Apply Prorasso pre-shave balm.
Rub it in VERY well.
Hot. wet twel on my face for about 2 min.
Another guy here is doing this exact method except with 3 min each.

My current technique is to:

Shower
Splash more hot water on my face and head
Put Pacific Shave Oil on my face
Make lather
Lather up and shave my head with soap or cream of choice
Splash more hot water on my face
Lather up my face
Shave with DE of choice and Derby blade (Three passes, more water between each)
Cold water rinse
Alum block
Towell off
Proraso liquid cream AS
Clinique M moisturizer

This is really working well for me and I do notice a difference when I don't use a shave oil. I also can feel the differences between my various creams and soaps (very, very impressed with Honey Bee soaps).

So.... yes, I think a pre shave oil makes a difference, but no, I don't think that it takes away from the lather at all. I think it compliments it.

BTW, I have a terrible combination of tough beard that grows in multiple directions coupled with very sensitive skin. Worse, my work duties are killing my face (Training Officer for fire department). This latest method has been giving me weeks of great shaves.

Chris

Top Bottom